Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:37:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Illustrated  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Wargames Illustrated
« on: January 27, 2020, 02:38:45 AM »
I just received my first two issues of this magazine in the mail, and it is fantastic! Most of my gaming up to this point as been through GW, but I'm branching out with Gaslands and in the future something like Rangers of Shadow Deep. However, it has been a true joy to read the articles and features throughout these two issues I own that I'm looking to subscribe. I know dead-tree magazines struggle, but I really want to see this one continue.

Fantastic and inspirational content cover to cover.

I am a little curious though about what does and doesn't make it within its pages. TBH, it's a breath of fresh air to not see any GW products, but I'm curious...why? I assume because they have their own mag and are the industry giant, But do Mantic and Privateer Press get featured within? Again, I'm super stoked to get to see focus on the smaller publishers, but am just personally curious what determines which companies' games are covered and which aren't.

Love this magazine!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:47:21 AM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Wargames Illustrated
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 04:39:22 AM »
Really, putting GW content in a non-GW place is borderline pointless given the webpages, magazines, forums, podcasts, Facebook groups all dedicated to that stuff.

If you're just now branching out from GW...you've got a bright future ahead. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 08:09:10 AM »
Anyone can submit articles to WI (they're always happy to get contributors on board), including any brand of miniatures you want, and the editors will decide what gets published and when. In the old days, White Dwarf used to be a generic fantasy gaming magazine with all sorts of brands and genres included in its pages, before GW bought it outright.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 08:26:19 AM »
I would also recommend Wargames Soldiers and Strategy magazine

https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/wss-mag

Both WSS and WI seem to have a theme for each issue which may also govern the content for that particular month.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:25:12 AM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »
I just received my first two issues of this magazine in the mail, and it is fantastic! Most of my gaming up to this point as been through GW, but I'm branching out with Gaslands and in the future something like Rangers of Shadow Deep. However, it has been a true joy to read the articles and features throughout these two issues I own that I'm looking to subscribe. I know dead-tree magazines struggle, but I really want to see this one continue.

I am a little curious though about what does and doesn't make it within its pages. TBH, it's a breath of fresh air to not see any GW products, but I'm curious...why? I assume because they have their own mag and are the industry giant, But do Mantic and Privateer Press get featured within? Again, I'm super stoked to get to see focus on the smaller publishers, but am just personally curious what determines which companies' games are covered and which aren't.

Love this magazine!

Thanks Jack Hooligan, we do try! As the excellent Paul Cubbins says, we feature whatever comes our way, embracing as many aspects of the hobby as we can since we became a truly independent, 'owner-operated' magazine. So, if people send it to us, we'll review or feature it as an article.

If you pick a suitable Wargames show or convention to attend, you can subscribe direct, which usually grants you a number of special offers, like extra issues, free figures, books, etc.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:06:47 PM by Westfalia Chris »
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Kitfox

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 03:20:22 PM »
I'd also recommend Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy it's mostly historical but well written and presented with lots of potential for reskinnning scenarios etc.  Wargames Illustrated I personally find a bit hit and miss.  Some issues are great but some are a 5 minute read and it seems to be more and more on Warlord Games (which i imagine is great if you play them, but as  don't it leaves me cold).

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
Don't forget Miniature Wargames (incorporating Battlegames, at least nominally). A balanced mixture of historical & SF / fantasy content, and, thankfully, honest reviews which reveal some thought.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 09:24:38 AM »

Love this magazine!

As others have already said, you should also try Wargames, Soldiers and Srategy and Miniature Wargames.  Well done for branching out from GW, you will find lots to interest you in historical gaming or even other generic SF or fantasy games, if that is your preference. You could also try a wargaming show like Salute or Hammerhead, that will be an eye-opener for you!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 10:14:03 AM »
Silly question maybe, but what is the frequency of WI? Is it a monthly publication, or bi-monthly? Oddly enough, I could not find any reference to this anywhere on the WI site!  ???
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 10:27:18 AM »
Silly question maybe, but what is the frequency of WI? Is it a monthly publication, or bi-monthly? Oddly enough, I could not find any reference to this anywhere on the WI site!  ???

It's a monthly publication.
Each issue has a number and says which month/year it was released
Issue 387 is Jan 2020
Issue 388 is Feb 2020
Etc
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 11:51:16 AM »
Cheers :)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 12:31:59 PM »
You're welcome  :D

I purchase WI online monthly, but I find that while the quality is fantastic, there are some issues which I have very little interest in. BUT there have also been times, where my interests change and now I can revisit those issues, I had otherwise flipped through.

It truly could be seen as hit or miss depending on your gaming interests.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 06:36:41 PM »
It's a monthly publication.
Each issue has a number and says which month/year it was released
Issue 387 is Jan 2020
Issue 388 is Feb 2020
Etc

It's more accurate to say that, as with most monthly publications, the magazine is released in the month prior to that stated on the cover. The February issue of WI, for instance, is available now, as it is published shortly before the end of the month, while the corresponding issue of MW has already been out a couple of weeks.

https://arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk/shop/wargames-illustrated-issue-388-february-2020-magazine/

https://arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk/shop/miniature-wargames-issue-442-february-2020-magazine/

WSS, on the other hand, is published bimonthly.

https://arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk/shop/wargames-soldiers-strategy-magazine-issue-106/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 07:18:44 AM »
n the old days, White Dwarf used to be a generic fantasy gaming magazine with all sorts of brands and genres included in its pages, before GW bought it outright.

And White Dwarf (prior to the GW acquisition)  used to be a great magazine, loads of varied articles (though most were fantasy based), some off the wall ideas about gaming, artwork and a lot of stuff pertaining to AD&D.

I has many copies but gave them away, looking at the prices they are now fetching, well.......  lol

Online Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 11:40:01 AM »
This month's WI has six pages devoted to their new Marshal Ney figure!
The most telling comment, for me, came in the first paragraph...
it was only the sculptors second 28mm figure

:?
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"