Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:44:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Review: Ghost Archipelago- Osprey Games  (Read 973 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Review: Ghost Archipelago- Osprey Games
« on: January 27, 2020, 02:29:06 PM »
Probably old hat to most on this board, but oh well.....

Before we get started on this review, I want to be 100% upfront.  I have no intention of ever playing Ghost Archipelago.  You maybe asking yourself, “Then why did you spend money on this book?”

I had three reasons:

1.       I wanted to support the local game store I picked it up at.  Most only have the big two to buy; Warmachine and GW games.  This store had FoW, Opsrey, and other niche stuff.  I wanted to support that concept in a store so I bought some of that niche content from them.

2.       I wanted to see how they handled Heritor’s and their powers and what separated them from Wizards in Frostgrave.  I wanted to add this information into my toolbox of wargame design ideas and concepts.

3.       I wanted to see how they did warband creation, experience, and treasure placement as it seemed like an improvement and development from Frostgrave.  As I was trying to get a Frostgrave campaign going locally I figured these enhancements might benefit my efforts.  In the end, that attempt to get a new Frostgrave campaign going failed.

Why would I want to play Frostgrave but not this version of it?  To be honest, as a person who lives in the Great White North, the setting of Frostgrave appeals to me more.  I already had a good stock of winter terrain from other projects, and I had just donated my jungle terrain away for space reasons.  Plus, I just wasn’t sold on the idea of Heritors.  They seemed to much like Super-Heroes and if I wanted to play Super-Heroes I had other games for that.   

So, now you know the context as I head into this review.  I have modified my normal review format going forward.  Since many of my general thoughts on the game can be found in my Frostgrave reviews I will instead try to focus on what is different about this game.

Time to head into uncharted territory.

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2020/01/review-ghost-archipelago-osprey-games.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
Re: Review: Ghost Archipelago- Osprey Games
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 02:34:33 AM »
Good review, I probably will stick with Frostgrave and just move it to a less freezing land.
Thanks
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: Review: Ghost Archipelago- Osprey Games
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 07:32:15 PM »
Interesting review.
While I prefer the FG with can have fun with GA too.
What I like more is that There are 2 characters getting XP in the basic game, and that magic is not that overpowering like in FG.