Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:17:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689682
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Good Quality Solo *miniatures* Roleplay Game?  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Good Quality Solo *miniatures* Roleplay Game?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2020, 07:39:37 PM »
I've had a lot of fun with Sellswords and Spellslingers from Ganesha Games, bot solo and cooperative. It might just be the way I play it, but it has the feel of the D&D bashes I remember from by teens with out all the rules and tables.
It's really a tabletop miniatures game for roleplayers.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2020, 09:18:39 PM »
A lot depends on your style of solo gaming; Five Leagues and Dungeon Scum both have quite a lot of random tables for stuff. Rangers of Shadowdeep is, I think, more scenario driven and has less stuff to help you create a game on the fly. It does of course come with ready written scenarios

Blimey! Now i'm getting even more confused  lol

So, Rangers of Shadowdeep is not a role play game? I like the idea of randomness so maybe Five Leagues and Dungeon Scum are more up my street? Basically I'm looking for a game that I can play, paint and enjoy on my own that has strong hints of AD&D. other Non Player Characters and has scenarios such as, my favourite AD&D scenario, The Temple of Elemental Evil.

I hope that's a little clearer(?)

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 09:43:54 PM »
Well, Rangers is d20 based if that’s a factor

You could look at “Scarlet Heroes” which has an engine that lets you play a very D&D style game solo. By Sine Nomine Games and there is a free basic version available.

5L focuses on reducing “threats” by fighting monsters, bandits etc. One successful scrap reduces the level by one, that sort of thing. Scum is similar but more dungeon based.

It’s a tough one. If D&D was your thing, look at Scarlet Heroes.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2020, 11:53:52 PM »
I prefer to buy my own mini's and paint them myself- it's a big part of the hobby for me. I expect I could do that anyway.

The minis are included, but unpainted. I still need to paint mine, though....  :?

Usually I'm the same way (and have also picked up Rangers and Sellswords as solo options for that purpose)  but the D&D boardgame was such a simple entry to solo dungeoncrawling...

I am setting up a trial solo game of Dragon Rampant for myself tonight. I will "play" both sides, but counting on activation rolls and having a loosely "programmed” game plan for one side.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2020, 08:23:34 AM »
Many of the D&D boardgames are playable solo. I picked up Temple of Elemental Evil specifically for an easy way to get into a solo dungeon crawl. I've only played a few games so far, but have enjoyed it. Everything you need comes in the box

The Temple of Elemental Evil that I'm referring to is just a scenario book mean't to be run by a DM.

Is there a new module that can be played solo?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2020, 09:16:40 AM »

I am setting up a trial solo game of Dragon Rampant for myself tonight. I will "play" both sides, but counting on activation rolls and having a loosely "programmed” game plan for one side.

Slightly off-topic, but have you looked at the same author's The Men Who Would Be Kings? It includes "Mr Babbage", an engine for solo play (or for several players against the engine). I think TMWWBK is a superior refinement of some of the Dragon Rampant principles in any case - well worth a look.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 11:16:41 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 11:08:01 PM »
The Temple of Elemental Evil that I'm referring to is just a scenario book mean't to be run by a DM.

Is there a new module that can be played solo?

This is the one I was talking about: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/172220/dungeons-dragons-temple-elemental-evil-board-game

But I've played the old AD&D module too - a very long time ago!  :D

Hobgoblin, thanks, I will look into that game.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2020, 03:56:50 AM »
Hobgoblin: "Slightly off-topic, but have you looked at the same author's The Men Who Would Be Kings? It includes "Mr Babbage", an engine for solo play (or for several players against the engine)."

OK, now that sounds interesting.  Man, I love this place.

-Michael