Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:20:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690803
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ghosts of the Shadow-Grave  (Read 22168 times)

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Re: Professor O's frosty-ghost-shadow-grave
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 01:38:21 PM »
oh yes - that's a fab miniature - nice paint-job.

boats are very well done - don't think I'd have known they were paper without you saying - how does the cutter help - it literally automates that part of things? Be good to see a photo of said machine if you ever get a chance.

I particuarly like the 'dungeon' inners you've shown above - they're looking great, and a 'full' set-up of them is going to be quite something...

Merci l'ami!

Yup it automates the cutting part! took a couple times to calibrate cause I print on A4 and the documents were for Letter format but once you've found the right setting for your printer it's a breeze. Still some work to do to mount some parts on card paper or corrugated cardboard if you want them to be stronger. For the dungeon stuff better be patient! So much stuff to do already!

Here's a picture of the cutter in action (silhouette portrait)
And the trees I made last couple of days with wip pictures.
They are made of wooden sticks, hot glued to washers. Sculpted in some roots with the nozzle of the glue gun. Cut some squares out of green pan scourer material, put 2 squares together not aligned and cut out the protruding triangles at an angle with scissors. Then use the cut outs to bulk out the top and bottom. Then paint and used some coffee for the bases.
Tree stumps I was playing around with a cheap 3D pen (kinda like a 3doodler but dirt cheap) and filled up the gaps with hot glue and sculpted the sides with nozzle again. Turned out not too bad!

Next step village buildings and then I'm off to the shadow deep ... almost there.

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 02:20:59 AM »
Really like the trees!
I should be painting right now.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 10:28:07 AM »
thanks very much prof.'  !

like the trees recipe, must say.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 06:03:47 AM »
Thanks yall! If you decide to go that route for the trees wear a mask, cutting the pan scourer creates a lot of very fine particles very messy. I think you can see it on the floor.

"As soon as you came within sight of the nameless village, you knew that something wasn't right." ROSD p.90

Here's some progress on the nameless village, I'm trying to make buildings without any paint, just the printer, cardboard and glue. Also trying to make the main structures foldable. This first test is made of a beastgrave box, perfect size for a little storage house I feel.

Most of the textures are from Crooked Staff production floors and walls pdf. some are just textures i googled up (like the roof) cropped and resized. The base holds the walls in shape nicely it'f quite sturdy.
Some wooden parts are made of match sticks colored with marker pen.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 10:48:58 AM »
really excellent - this is very much the way I'd like to go if I had the crafting skills - particularly the fold-able bit!

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 10:53:10 AM »
 :o wow!!!

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 02:07:46 PM »
It can be done! I learned a lot following crooked staff video tutorials, started making little tables and books and before you know it you get better at it and you start to improvise!

Without further ado, the table is ready, the tokens are randomized, the event cards are shuffled, the zombies are moaning and the rats are doing whatever the hell rats do (probably a green-stone-powered-human-vaporizing contraption or such) ... here we go  >:D

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Professor O's frosty-ghost-shadow-grave (report)
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2020, 05:05:48 AM »
A bloody affair,

1- The plan:
Azure (Ranger), Korin (Man-at Arms) and Blue (Hound) head to the old ruins on the hill just North East of the village. Cerulean (Rogue), Skanka and Dombas (Archer and Recruit) head South East to the locked storage house. Ysabel (recruit) thinks she saw something in the woods to the South West and Marcus (Arcanist) follows her tightly ... as he always does  :-*.

2-3-4- First Blood:
Azure spots a shambling corpse coming out of the cold dark wood, he takes a deep breath and let's go of the bow string. The arrow finds it's mark and the corpse shambles no more. On the other side of the hill Blue, quick as lightning, jumps on another undead and rips it's head clean off. Meanwhile Marcus spots an aberration threatening beautiful Ysabel, he charges in and clears the way to the forest.

5-6-7- Death Strikes Back
In the middle Skanka and Cerulean shoot down a zombie and a rat respectively but soon get overwhelmed as more tenacious living impaired bodies press on. Dombas Saves his sister from one of them but a rabbid giant rat takes him out before he can recover. They later find a survivor in the woods but as the party was regrouping he couldn't keep up and another surprisingly vicious rodent pulls him down and back into the woods.

8- With their tails between their legs
The zombie surge kept intensifying, Azure finally using Halt Undead to carve a path and run away from the overrun village. But at what cost!

AFTERMATH:
Cerulean dies ... RIP
Blue fought valiantly but is Badly Wounded AND Deseased ... miss next game
Korin gets a Crushed Arm but resists the infection ... -1 Fight
Dombas gets infected by his rat wounds ... -3 Health, -1 to all rolls

Azure finds a potion of Heroism and Avantine's magic sword, 83 XP

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »
yes - great looking board.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 02:44:57 AM »
yes - great looking board.

Thanks Bloggard! It's nice when it all comes together! I wish the mat had a bit more green or something in it, feels like the overall thing is missing something. Let me know if you see something you would add or change, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Updates:

The shadow deep has some streams in it so here are some WIP river sections. One of them is made of cardboard, the others stiff black foamcore (i think it's harder than foamcore not sure what it is really). Printed out some rivers from worldworks games hinterland set (i think they out of business?) then cut the bases and glued the rivers on. now finishing off with sand and waiting for paint. I could have skipped the sand to be honest, if you make the base the right size and wrap the river texture around the back when you glue it on it looks good enough.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 06:36:04 PM »
some weighted stands of lichen perhaps?
river sections look great.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2020, 03:53:05 AM »
some weighted stands of lichen perhaps?
river sections look great.

Ah yes, I think I see what you mean, that will add some greenery! I don't have any right now but i'll see what i can find!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2020, 11:51:29 AM »
you can get it in a myriad of shades from hobby suppliers these days - the dyes used seem to result in rather a persistent pong tho' ...

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2020, 06:12:26 PM »
Cool!  :o
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 04:32:32 PM »
Thanks for the comments gents! I'm still looking for the right kind of Lichen (live in china not that easy) hope to find something soon ... are they durable?

Anywho here are some more guys I picked up because they looked like they are dying to shamble out of a Frostgrave tomb! Took longer to paint than I thought, and bloody hell GW bases are annoying to paint ... You think you're done but noooo here are some bones and rocks and fiddly bits to paint around grrr...