Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:28:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689609
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mirjeki's Old World project - pg. 4 Progress Report  (Read 11336 times)

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
Mirjeki's Old World project - pg. 4 Progress Report
« on: February 05, 2020, 12:26:06 PM »
I've got an ongoing project to collect/paint miniatures and scenery required for a campaign across the Old World. I've been running a mini-campaign with my partner in the style of the computer game Dark Omen. She has a small Wood Elf army, and during games she can do secondary missions to get more money or troops, and after battle can use the money to upgrade her existing troops, or replace dead soldiers.

I'm using Warhammer Fantasy Battle 5th Edition rules, with some modifications for more RPG like behaviour. I've been using LD scores for most social interaction tests, and a D10 used against the core stats can be used for other activities (with modifiers for difficulty of the test, as in WFRP).

I thought it'd be nice to document the project & battles in a thread. So I'll update this as I paint new models for the various creatures and factions that can be encountered, and will do AARs each time I get a game in.

I also sometimes post about it on my blog:

https://darkspacemessages.blogspot.com/

Attached are some pictures of one of my armies which is nearly completed - Orcs & Goblins.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:43:48 PM by mirjeki »

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Re: Mirjeki's Old World project
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 01:21:05 PM »
Hey great looking army man! Was Dark Omen the one after Shadow of the Horned rat? Can they still be played? I never finished it I think ... 😭

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 01:41:41 PM »
Thanks! I'm gonna go through all my armies in the next few days and take pics of them so I have a record of my progress.

Yeah that's right, Dark Omen is a direct sequel to Shadow of the Horned Rat. I actually prefer the cutscenes in Shadow of the Horned Rat, they've got that brightly coloured Middlehammer charm to them.

They can both be played still, I think I had to change some DLLs to get Dark Omen working (there's a guide online). And Shadow of the Horned Rat is available on GOG and can be played with no hassle at all.

https://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_shadow_of_the_horned_rat

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 12:10:27 AM »
Finally painted Aenur after owning him for about 20 years. I was gonna try some fancy freehand on the inside of his cloak but got scared I'd mess it up and just went for mud stains on the bottom instead.

As you can see in the final picture there's pretty heavy mold line on the model. I tried smoothing it out a bit by scraping the metal but it didn't really help much. In retrospect I should've used some green stuff to hide the seam.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 03:16:05 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this thread and your blog as it develops mate!

Aenur is looking great!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 05:57:28 AM »
Looks great!

Only saw the mold line because you said it, too busy watching the weapon and the face to notice it.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 01:54:11 PM »
Thanks for the comments! I also managed to finish my first Nighthaunt last night. I know it isn't strictly Old World but I think the new ghost guys are great models and fit in well with Undead armies (I might use them as spirit hosts in games). Also that symbol on the gravestone looks very much like Vampire Counts heraldry to me!

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 11:47:52 AM »
New blog post today. I wrote up a little battle report of a game I played in my current Old World campaign with my girlfriend.

https://darkspacemessages.blogspot.com/2020/02/warhammer-fantasy-campaign-mission-4.html?m=1

It was a good game! I think I made it a bit easy, but there aren't many options of things to do in Warhammer Fantasy unfortunately. Maybe I should get the Mordheim rules and use them for skirmish/RPG style sessions like this?

Or I could just go full RPG for these types of mission and use WFRP 4E? I'll have to have a think about it.

Some pics attached but please check the blog for the full scenario report.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 02:22:48 PM »
My wife and I really like the Nighthaught figures, a great sense of dramatic ethereal movement. And your painting of the chainrasp is spot on.

As for the battle report.... brilliant! Exactly the kind of thing I want to get going regularly with my wife. I an green with envy! You continue to inspire and motivate me, thanks mate!

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 04:09:46 PM »
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »
Great looking board mate! Very immersive, love the squabbling gobbos!

On side note I went on GOG to find shadow of the horned rat and there were comments that said it crashed so I found a "free" one which was supposed to be the GOG. It installed properly and the intro was fine but it crashed before the first fight so I didn't buy it.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 05:12:22 PM »
Cheers all! The board tiles are from Pedion and they're great, I can't take credit for those unfortunately.

My wife and I really like the Nighthaught figures, a great sense of dramatic ethereal movement. And your painting of the chainrasp is spot on.

As for the battle report.... brilliant! Exactly the kind of thing I want to get going regularly with my wife. I an green with envy! You continue to inspire and motivate me, thanks mate!

Yeah they're definitely the best models GW has produced in a long time. They're really easy to paint as well. I'm looking forward to getting the other 9 chainrasps painted up and out on the field, I think they'll look great in contrast to my spooky skeletons and gory zombies.

I've got SotHR installed on my PC at home. I'll have a look tonight and see if I've applied any special compatibility settings or something. I suspect it might be set to 'Run in Windows 95 mode' or something. I'm pretty sure I played it in a tiny 640x480 window at any rate, so I think that was probably a thing you need to do to get it working.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 05:20:22 PM »
Cheers all! The board tiles are from Pedion and they're great, I can't take credit for those unfortunately.

Yeah they're definitely the best models GW has produced in a long time. They're really easy to paint as well. I'm looking forward to getting the other 9 chainrasps painted up and out on the field, I think they'll look great in contrast to my spooky skeletons and gory zombies.

I've got SotHR installed on my PC at home. I'll have a look tonight and see if I've applied any special compatibility settings or something. I suspect it might be set to 'Run in Windows 95 mode' or something. I'm pretty sure I played it in a tiny 640x480 window at any rate, so I think that was probably a thing you need to do to get it working.

Ah ok, I'll keep that in mind and give it another go when i have free time! And yeah these chainrasps are cool models, a lot of the GW ethereal stuff looks great!

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 02:28:09 PM »
I bought Sayl the Faithless and his Chaos Spawn pet 'Nightmaw' last year at Warhammer World. I finally got around to painting Nightmaw over the weekend. It's my first Forgeworld model I've painted and I'm super impressed with the level of detail! I think I might have to get some more models next time I'm in Nottingham...

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 10:23:59 AM »
I wrote a post on my blog recently about my Bretonnian army and my beginnings with Warhammer.

http://darkspacemessages.blogspot.com/2020/03/my-history-of-warhammer-and-bretonnians.html?m=1

Here's some pictures from the blog post (and the current state of my army).