Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Armies of the Caliphates - arab infantry availability?  (Read 3773 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Armies of the Caliphates - arab infantry availability?
« on: February 08, 2020, 01:56:56 PM »
The figures in the Armies of the Caliphates range are currently unavailable from the Footsore Minis site - any idea where I can get hold of them? Any idea when they will be available again?

I need some armoured arab infantry for my early crusades collection: I also want some Kurdish infantry and some 'Saracen' crossbowmen - any ideas on what I could use, 28 mm metal figures only?

Also, what are the best figures for Fatimid Sudanese ghulams around these days?

Lots of questions there, thanks for looking.

James

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Armies of the Caliphates - arab infantry availability?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
The figures in the Armies of the Caliphates range are currently unavailable from the Footsore Minis site - any idea where I can get hold of them? Any idea when they will be available again?
James

Hi James,

They are, as far as I know, scheduled to be remoulded- I think sometime this year(?).

That's about all I know I'm afraid.  :(

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 03:52:06 PM »
Did you check out the Gripping Beasts armies of Islam already?

https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Armies_of_Islam--category--163.html
Leadhead

Offline Domestikos

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 12:56:32 PM »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 09:52:56 AM »
Footsore North America has them.

https://www.footsorenorthamerica.com/Armies-of-the-Caliphates-s/276.htm

I've just put in an order with them after being in contact with the owner/manager of Footsore USA who informed me that they had not had any problems with UK Customs. I''l keep you up to speed as to how this goes.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 01:05:55 PM »
That’s good news that the range is still available!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 01:20:01 PM »
That’s good news that the range is still available!

I wasn't even aware that there was a Footsore USA until it was mentioned on this forum..... I'm pleased that Olicanalad popped the question!! :)

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 01:44:12 PM »

I need some armoured arab infantry for my early crusades collection: I also want some Kurdish infantry and some 'Saracen' crossbowmen - any ideas on what I could use, 28 mm metal figures only?

Artizan Designs make Andalusian crossbowmen - not sure if that is close enough for what you are looking for.

I'm not sure what Kurdish infantry are supposed to look like.  I used some Perry Miniatures Armenians for muslim looking medieval infantry.  They are nice figures if you can get past the issues with the casting.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 09:47:48 PM »
I know the Perry 'Armenians' castings quite well. I was rather disappointed with the single pose overarm spear position when I opened the box (bought sight unseen), compared to everything else in that range - even the Armenian bowmen.

In fact, I decided to do some arm position conversions - not something I'm particularly good at, or like doing. They look OK, at a pinch, and a bit different to how they came, but I'm not sure I fancy going through the process again. P.S. rebased them since this picture was taken.

As for Kurds, I'm not sure either, except that they are possibly a bit Persian looking. I suppose I should be glad that no one seems to know, perhaps, as you say, anything Arab looking will do.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 09:53:26 PM »
What about using Daylamites as a base for the Kurds?

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 12:08:55 AM »
Have you looked at the Aventine Sassanid Persian infantry?  They are pretty generic guys with tunics and trousers.  If you could put some kind of more generic Persian looking head on them (rather than the Sassanid era ones), might they do?

I thought of this because of Darrel's suggestion of Daylamites - I built my Daylamites using those figures and adding gripping beast Daylami shields and transfers.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 08:31:57 AM »
Have you looked at the Aventine Sassanid Persian infantry?  They are pretty generic guys with tunics and trousers.  If you could put some kind of more generic Persian looking head on them (rather than the Sassanid era ones), might they do?

I thought of this because of Darrel's suggestion of Daylamites - I built my Daylamites using those figures and adding gripping beast Daylami shields and transfers.

Good suggestion and I believe Aventine have some quality dynamic poses in their Sassy infantry range too.