Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:38:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old School Diorama a Day...  (Read 20007 times)

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
Re: Old School Diorama a Day...
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2020, 03:02:46 PM »
 :o great stuff!!!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2020, 09:29:09 AM »
Some like it HOT!  From a cold scene to a hot one...another old Meier giant, this time a Ral Partha Fire giant fighting off an old Citadel historical.

Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2020, 10:37:14 AM »
What happens when a group of Citadel warriors runs into a grubby horde of Metal Magic Goblins....

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2020, 01:30:00 PM »
It's all great stuff but I think your giants steal the show!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »
It's all great stuff but I think your giants steal the show!

Well, ha ha, I don’t have any delusions that I’m a great painter.  I’m a fast, table ready painter that owns a bunch of cool models that have been unpainted far too long.

I agree, the giants came out pretty good...mostly because the sculpts are so awesome, but to be honest, I’m not a fan of painting the big models.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2020, 02:48:25 PM »
What re you using as bases for these minis?  It the texture or color of them, but the actual base?

Also, I’d love to read a tutorial on how you quickly knock out these buildings and such with...styrofoam... I think I read you mention?

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2020, 03:54:15 PM »
Well, ha ha, I don’t have any delusions that I’m a great painter.  I’m a fast, table ready painter that owns a bunch of cool models that have been unpainted far too long.

I agree, the giants came out pretty good...mostly because the sculpts are so awesome, but to be honest, I’m not a fan of painting the big models.

Awesome group pic! Your table ready paint jobs are excellent quality, good colors and enough contrast to show off the nice miniatures. Also consistency is very important, something I really struggle with...

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2020, 03:57:49 PM »
What re you using as bases for these minis?  It the texture or color of them, but the actual base?

Also, I’d love to read a tutorial on how you quickly knock out these buildings and such with...styrofoam... I think I read you mention?

Just sand.  My old minis (most of which I’ve sold...but I still do have hundreds) were all based differently.  Some had dungeon floors, some had grasslands, some snow,  some had desert.  When I started painting again in October, I decided I was going to base everything in one neutral style that, while it’s not stunning, looks acceptable on all types of terrain...this is the result.

If you go on the Rangers of Shadow Deep Facebook page, and search “adventures in styrofoam” you will see what I did.  They aren’t really “tutorials” as much as before/after pictures...but you get the idea.  I’ve actually deleted most of the pics after I posted.

Stuff like this...

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2020, 04:10:41 PM »
I’m not on fb now, but why’d you delete your photos?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2020, 04:12:04 PM »
Great stuff! The giants are superb, but so are those Metal Magic goblins! That old Citadel two-headed troll is the pick of the bunch for me, but they're all great.

Good thinking on the neutral basing too!

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2020, 04:44:52 PM »
Good thinking on the neutral basing too!
Agreed. Maybe worth considering a bit of spot washing here and there though to quickly and easily add a bit of visual variety?  Army Painter strong and dark tones plus a green one, for instance.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
I’m not on fb now, but why’d you delete your photos?

Ha ha, I can’t keep every insignificant picture I take...good lord, I’d need more memory :)

I just figured some people might enjoy seeing the “before” pics.  I also wanted to show all the whippersnappers that you don’t have to 3D print everything or spend a ton of money to have a respectable terrain collection.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2020, 04:50:34 PM »
That old Citadel two-headed troll is the pick of the bunch for me

Yeah, that’s a GREAT model...but so are most Citadel figures.  I don’t have near enough in my collection, since nobody carried them when I was young, and they cost an arm and a leg these days.

I painted it as an Ettin, because I already had the two headed troll pictures a little while back.  I won this one in auction for $12 (USD).  I made the bid not expecting to actually win, but it was a pleasant surprise, and fun (and easy) to paint.  Sometimes I forget how much easier Citadel models are to paint than everything else.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2020, 09:23:54 AM »
Running with the wolves...

This pack of Ral Partha  wolves is about to bring terror to some poor gothic village.  Traveling with them are two D&D plastic “collectible” miniature game re-paints.  Most my miniatures are old and metal, but these are my favorite werewolves.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2020, 10:16:21 AM »
A very old Grenadier “Klynops” from the days when this was actually a pretty big miniature...