Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:22:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Same old, same old  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: Same old, same old
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 12:10:11 AM »
So now that I am waiting for Empress to release the ANZACs, my thoughts are on the Chain of Command variant developed by Jason S. mentioned upthread. I am a big fan of the Lardies rules, and Charlie Don't Surf was definitely under consideration, but I use CoC for WW2, and using a COC variant is appealing.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 04:58:41 PM »
Thanks for the links, Ultravanillasmurf. Not quite sure how that title flew under my radar, though ultra modern isn't really my thing. As for the CoC variant mentioned above, I'm not sure whether this is one of the three forthcoming sets which Paul teased us about earlier, but then I'd already speculated about a new TFL offering, so it looks like I was half right. I recall a modern CoC set has been in development for some time, but haven't been following its progress.

I should also probably have taken it for granted that Warlord will be part of the bandwagon, if I may call it that, but they are presumably looking for a range of figures to buy up before the inevitable Bolt Action 'Nam is launched.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 07:48:26 PM »
Thanks for the links, Ultravanillasmurf. Not quite sure how that title flew under my radar, though ultra modern isn't really my thing. As for the CoC variant mentioned above, I'm not sure whether this is one of the three forthcoming sets which Paul teased us about earlier, but then I'd already speculated about a new TFL offering, so it looks like I was half right. I recall a modern CoC set has been in development for some time, but haven't been following its progress.

I should also probably have taken it for granted that Warlord will be part of the bandwagon, if I may call it that, but they are presumably looking for a range of figures to buy up before the inevitable Bolt Action 'Nam is launched.

No CoC was not one of the three I mentioned  ;)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 03:44:41 PM »
Drip, drip....who knows a good intel analyst?

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 03:47:43 PM »
Drip, drip....who knows a good intel analyst?

Bribery or torture  ;)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2020, 03:49:43 PM »
You're out of luck: I'm broke, but feeling a bit sadistic.

P.S. Of course, the two may not be entirely unrelated.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 04:52:30 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline mkultra99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 03:04:54 PM »
I've played a few.. I love Spectrev2.. love CoC.. Danger Close is quite good. But as far as low figure count ease of entry and play. Its hard to beat Fistful of Lead Core. It has all the rules you will need for Vietnam, tho you will need to modify some of the scenarios obviously. It's very flexible and can handle anything you may want to throw at it. Once you get more figures and terrain for larger actions, you may want to move on to other rules.. but for simplicity and fun with a low model count.. again its hard to beat  FFoLCore. Especially fun when played multiplayer (ie 4 to 8 players each with their own squad).

Offline mkultra99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 03:10:13 PM »
Oh.. and for upcoming Vietnam games.. the CIA whispered in my ear that the fellas behind 'Battlegroup' (a great WW2 system) are working on a campaign heavy squad level game for The Vietnam Conflict. The CIA ASSURES me that no waterboarding was used to obtain this info... tho who can trust the CIA.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 06:55:45 PM »
Thanks for the intel, mkultra, which I understand is given on the basis of complete deniability. I don't own any Battlegroup rules - well, other than the original or prototype Normandy-set one published by Warhammer Historical - but will await that publication with interest, should its existence not prove another disinformation exercise.

I have become intrigued by Spectre: Operations, which, having watched a couple of game-play videos, I may acquire for its intrinsic interest as well as potential adaptation. The figures also look good, though I note that all the vehicles and terrain and most of the game accessories are sold out, with no info given regarding their likely return.

I own the FFoL western gunfight and horse and musket rules, though not the core set, as yet. It does seem that the answer to almost any question is FFoL, at least in part.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 07:01:36 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 06:10:25 PM »
I mentioned Crucible Crush's Black Sun (Weird Vietnam War) rules a couple of posts back. I didn't realise the figure range was already available, but have just seen the new North Star newsletter, which states they are currently on promotion. Having looked at the images I'm curious as to what people - and especially 'Nam cognoscenti - think of them:

http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=265&cat=688&page=1

My first thought is that they are unlikely to fit in with other ranges, but my second thought, immediately following that snap assessment, is that they are not intended to. They're sculpted by Bob Murch of Pulp Figures, and are, unsurprisingly, in the style of his own company's minis (quite a few of which I have, and like). They are also, no doubt, in keeping with the flavour of the rules, which brings me back to the ostensible subject of this thread. The rule book doesn't appear to have been released as yet,  but I see a preliminary version is available to download, and may be of interest:

https://www.cruciblecrush.com/files/Black%20Sun%20Rules%20Alpha.pdf

Back to those figures, though: in this universe, Charlie apparently doesn't suffer from the supply problems experienced by his real world counterpart; soldiers and weapons alike in fact look remarkably well nourished.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 06:46:54 PM by Andrew_McGuire »