Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:14:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689608
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry AWI Spanish  (Read 8689 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Perry AWI Spanish
« on: February 14, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
Noticed the Perrys have brought out some AWI Spanish. Very nice sculpts as usual though I struggling to find much information on Spanish troops fighting in the AWI. Can anyone recommend any sources of information apart from Wikipedia?

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Re: Perry AWI Spanish
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 12:58:57 PM »
Osprey - Spanish Army in North America 1700-1793.
By Rene Chartrand. Good background and uniform details so that's your starter for 10.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 02:07:40 PM »
Okay thanks.

Offline Armstrong47

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 05:48:20 PM »
Oooh,wonder if these guys could move further southwest and take on a few Comanches?
"We've got 'em now,boys!!"
G A Custer,Sunday afternoon 25th June 1876

Offline chokidar

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 07:23:23 PM »
Apparently this book has become difficult find - but otherwise it ticks all the boxes. The Spanish versions I believe are easier to find.

Offline chokidar

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 07:33:36 PM »
If you read Spanish you can find a mass - start with the authors of the book above and spread out - anything on Bernardo de Galves (ever wonder who Galveston was named after?) - several books were published a couple of years ago to coincide with a major exhibition on his career. You can also try googling "Yo Solo" which is a quote from one of his despatches.

Finally if you feel up to it, have a trawl around the site Todocoleccion - the site is available in several languages and is a sort of Spanish domestic EBay. You find masses of books on there at reasonable prices including some of the superb and now out of print volumes produced by the Spanish Defence Ministry (I have no idea how they can possibly afford the quality and volume of their production nor their prices - any commercial publishing house would go broke in 3 months!) - such as "El Ejercito de Carlos III" which is relevant to this period and is wall to wall uniforms - so even if you are shaky in Spanish still well worth it. Prices are usually pretty reasonable.

Good Luck

Quixote the Elder!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »
They would do for regular or militia troops, but those pretty uniforms wouldn't last long out on the dusty plains. I'm no expert but beyond the cities I think troops like these seldom strayed.

I'd really like to see some cuera soldiers....c'mon lads...please!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 08:28:50 PM »
Just noticed these on the Perry website myself. Uniforms for Spanish forces in the AWI? Try this:

http://www.uniformology.com/WORLD-10-SPN.html

If you can excuse a mild diversion from your question and want to expand the useful range for these figures then  they are useful for the 1774-76 campaigns in southern Brazil between Spain and Portugal, which saw much more sizeable forces and a lot more colour. Conveniently Portuguese forces can be made using AWI British troops, with very minor conversion and a different paint job. There’s a great little Osprey type tome on the subject with full uniform plates. If you are interested I can try and dig out my copy and give you the title.

There’s also a decent primer on the campaigns here:

https://docplayer.com.br/51560308-A-guerra-da-restauracao-do-rio-grande-do-sul.html

Google translate will be your friend.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 09:57:10 PM »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:05:54 PM by emosbur »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 05:26:52 AM »
No books to recommend but a number of successful actions against the British in Florida, mostly west Florida and perhaps as far west as New Orleans and maybe up river to St. Louis (?).  Perhaps also useful in Caribbean.  I have a brigade of four Spanish regiments in my 15 mm AWI collection to be used in conjuction with my French, also in white, just wrong flags.  But okay for hypotheticals.  May try tracking some of the recommendations here.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 08:12:55 AM »
Thanks for all the comments so far.

So the Spanish fought the British in a number of separate relatively small engagements to the Americans. So these Spanish figures would be ideal for a M&T/R&P/SP force.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 08:23:35 AM »
Interesting stuff. Thank you all for the information.

Offline Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 10:11:33 AM »
There’s a great little Osprey type tome on the subject with full uniform plates. If you are interested I can try and dig out my copy and give you the title.

I'd be very interested, if it's not putting you to too much trouble. Thanks for the link to that book on the subject.

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 11:02:03 AM »
No books to recommend but a number of successful actions against the British in Florida, mostly west Florida and perhaps as far west as New Orleans and maybe up river to St. Louis (?).  Perhaps also useful in Caribbean.  I have a brigade of four Spanish regiments in my 15 mm AWI collection to be used in conjuction with my French, also in white, just wrong flags.  But okay for hypotheticals.  May try tracking some of the recommendations here.

Ehm... in fact there was a siege of St. Louis, and another big battle in Pensacola with thousands of troops at each side. There were raids as far north as Michigan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_St._Joseph_(Niles,_Michigan)#Spanish_Expedition_of_1781), and there were also lots of battles in the Caribbean. Maybe those ones were closer to small engagements?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 04:02:59 PM »
Yuber Okami, I did not know about the Spanish getting that far north!  Thanks for sharing.