Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:55:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wolfen Rampant  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
Wolfen Rampant
« on: February 14, 2020, 01:07:11 PM »

Question. Has anyone around here tried to make an army for dragon rampant that consists solely of rackhams wolfen and devourers ?

Stupid idea came into the old coconut after following gibby64s smashing thread and casual request.

What would the army look like?
Is it even possible? Or wise?

Dragon rampant is my personal fantasy rules set of choice so that would be the aim.

Whilst rustling through the box of 2 dozen wolfen I have collected over the years it occurred to me that at 55mm to start with they would turn out at around 11 to 13 feet tall, (imagine the 1st story window of the average house, that's where it's bounce would be) so obviously there would be reduced model units but would that be enough or wouldn't have to be single model units throughout?

Love to hear what any other dragon rampantists think
Will post some pics of the first models forthwith

Cheers all
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Re: Wolfen Rampant
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 04:55:20 PM »
Reduced Belicose or Elite foot ? Maybe magic weapons or armour to showcase how deadly and tough they are ?

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 09:50:27 AM »
First couple of puppies done if anyone's interested

Cheers all

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 12:56:18 PM »
They look good.

I’d suggest going with a model count that approximates the foot-print of a normal human unit. If you have 24 models you could get 6 units of 4 models, or 8 of 3. Which looking at the size of these feels about right.

I think with all systems where you are free to assign models to different sets of stats (Dragon Rampant and Saga being two obvious ones) then the stats and models need to fit together in a way that your opponent expects.

As a negative example in our home-brew fantasy rules one of the players likes to field a giant in his goblin army, but stats it as a rock lobber. His, reasonable, rationale is that it is a young child giant who is happy to throw rocks, but if engaged in melee would run off. The problem is as an opponent that you see a giant, and think it has giant’s stats. This kind of thing feels more fitting to an RPG where you have chance to explore the options, rather than a limited time mass battle game, where this  just ends up causing confusion and wasting turns while key units get sent to do tasks they aren’t needed to do. From a fog or war perspective this is a good thing, but its not a good thing if it just applies to the odd unit.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 05:35:06 PM »
I've used my old metal Wolfen mainly as either reduced Bellicose Foot, or as Warbeasts.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 09:13:48 PM »
Love them!! Keep going!!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 04:18:20 AM »
Great painting, thanks for sharing.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 09:16:02 PM »
Nice job on those Wolfen.  I've got a box of metal parts stashed somewhere, that I must dig out and put together at some point.

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 09:34:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys
Thargor all I can say is go for it
True the level of detail in these wonderful sculpts can seem daunting but the result is well worth it.
I don't claim any great painting skill they are just great miniatures some of the best ever produced imo.

Cheers all

Offline Rhelyk

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 09:28:16 PM »
I did exactly that for Dragon Rampant a few years back, just used them using the standard rules for low model count/multiwound units. Been quite a while, but iirc I ran them as regular Light Foot for the Wolfen Fangs, Heavy Missiles for the gunners (converted using arms from Mantic Ogres), Belicose Foot for the Predators, Elite Foot (single model "unit") for the leader and Greater Warbeast  for the Warg. All of these are the plastic prepaints that I repainted except for the Warg, who is a resin cast from Cadwallon.com when they still sold Confrontation

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 10:02:11 PM »
Now there's lovely

Thanks for sharing these great pics
Few years behind you but running to catch up

Cheers

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist