Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:38:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First game of Zero Dark  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
First game of Zero Dark
« on: February 15, 2020, 02:51:18 PM »
This week I was invited over to Precinct Omega HQ. I had the chance to play the new game Zero Dark. It is a Sci-fi skirmish game. I am not a great Sci-fi player. So I am probably less enthusiastic about these types of games. However, the fact that you can create your own characters and give narrative to the play really helped. To say that I really enjoyed the game would be to undersell it. The game mechanics are quite innovative. They are simple and easy to pick up. It is also a challenging game with decisions being made from the off when deciding on your force and what factors you will give them. The game is probably going to be published at the end of March. I can’t wait to play again. What’s more, it has me digging out some old figures, that have sat in boxes for some time, to make up my own force. Always a good sign of good game. If you want to see more about the game you can read more on my blog.
https://marctgames.wordpress.com/2020/02/15/first-game-of-zero-dark/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:54:14 PM by Mark M Down »

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
Re: First game of Zero Dark
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 03:18:32 PM »
For more information and a chance to get the latest beta version of the rules ahead of publication, you can visit http://patreon.com/precinctomega

Sorry for the hijack, Marc.  ;)

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »
Sounds interesting. Can you advise in what way they are innovative?

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:42:46 AM »
The way that there is a third faction on the table that is activated by cards makes for a really interesting game in that you can work out what your enemy may do, but the other force is quite random. Reinforcements can arrive at the turn of a card. Being able to choose the stats of your characters is also great. Thirdly, the use of D12 and being able to add dice together to make your target number. I did not mention but your leader has extra dice that can be used for re-rolls and the spooks have cards that can trump the third forces activation. I hope that helps.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:43:41 AM »
Very helpful thanks.

Sounds interesting.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for further developments.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 10:04:17 AM »
For more information and a chance to get the latest beta version of the rules ahead of publication, you can visit http://patreon.com/precinctomega

Sorry for the hijack, Marc.  ;)

Do I need to pay for the information? Is this a form of KS?

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
Do I need to pay for the information? Is this a form of KS?

looks like you have to pay a monthly payment fee, but not sure how many months this is for, if that was stated i'd be more interested in getting in early.

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 08:09:58 PM »
Patreon is a way of supporting people working in the creative arts.  There are essentially two models: either you pay when the creative posts new content (such as a webcomic artist, vlogger or podcaster) or you can pay monthly to support the development of continuous new material.

My Patreon takes the latter form.  You pay monthly (from $2-$5).  This helps me to cover the costs of the subscriptions to the various pieces of software I use to format and design the books, to help pay for the miniatures and terrain and to contribute a little bit towards the artwork I've commissioned for the rulebook.  Patrons receive various forms of reward, depending on the level at which they back the project.

For the purposes of this game, you get access to the beta rules from the $2 upwards.  Once you back, you're committed for the first month, but you can cancel at any time after that.  So, basically, you can get the latest version of the rules for $2 and walk away.  The onus is on me to make the experience of supporting me longer term more engaging and worthwhile.

Most of my patrons are just happy to help me put the game into production, but I like to send free stuff to people whenever I have the leeway (and do monthly raffles for free stuff, too, including painted minis and - as Marc will tell you - I'm not too shabby with the ol' brush).

The rules themselves should be published through WGV on 29th March.  If everything goes to plan, you'll be able to get the PDF (for £15) or a POD print copy (for £20) or a package of the two for £30.  If things don't go quite so well to plan, you'll be able to get a beta of the PDF for £12, but will automatically be able to download the finished PDF when it's ready for no more money, which really should be by the end of April.

Alternatively you can back the Patreon for $2.  The final version of the beta rules are about to be released, so your timing is good.

"But wait," I hear you cry, "if I can get the rules from the Patreon for $2 and the rules are basically finished, what's the Patreon for after this?  Will it stop?"

No, because, as everyone knows, the rules are only the first product.  For a start, we will have the first campaign book to come.  That will be followed by several supplements.  And these will all be exclusively released through Patreon first, and only later released for public consumption.  Also, once ZD is published, I'll be expanding the Patreon to cover additional material for Horizon Wars, and hopefully developing a couple of other (unrelated) games that I've had waiting for more attention for a while.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 10:57:18 PM »
Thank you, will take another look now.