Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:35:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN 2nd Edition Design Notes 2  (Read 6046 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
IHMN 2nd Edition Design Notes 2
« on: February 16, 2020, 09:58:41 AM »
So, it has been a couple of weeks since our first Design Notes, and where have we got to?

Charles has been running through 3.0 Playing the Game for the umpteenth time, with me trying to break everything with daft suggestions. The core of T&B has now been effectively welded to the colour and strangeness of IHMN, and we feel we are in sight of our goal with this section. Playability is our main aim, but we also want to include all the cool rules on waterborne and airborne combat that have evolved since 2013. Additional rules for mechanized walkers shall get added to the mix once we have finished that section of the Armoury.

The holy veto word KISS has been wielded dozens of times and we review and rewrite everything. This ship is not going to sail until we are absolutely sure it is right.

Work upon 5.0 The Armoury continues unabated. As well as including the best of the original books, new weapons are coming on board, and some of them are being fired in from comments on the blog and Facebook page. For example, considerable debate was had in the Ministry over the existence and power of sub-machine guns. Also which companies could wield them.

Armour is pretty much settled, but the various land, maritime and aerial transport types, and mechanized walkers, are still on the design bench.

We are looking to expand the weird science and are open to suggestions.

7.0 Talents is still being rewritten, especially as we are making sure we keep these in step with 8.0 Mystical Powers.

We have increased the number of powers, and divided them into minor and major categories. We are thinking that dabblers in the occult can use minor ones, and more dedicated occultists will be able to draw upon both. So there will be two talents to allow you access to these two levels. Debate continues over what to include and exclude.

As for 9.0 the Companies, there has been an overhaul of the points system to improve the balance of things (for those that like balance).

Companies that are close to final draft stage are:

the Black Dragon Tong,
the Crescent Moon (formerly the Ottoman Counter-intelligence Service),
Lady Helen Quatermain’s Airship Privateers, and
Lord Curr’s Incorrigibles.
Most have additional troop types and options, and their equipment, talents and powers have been brought in line with the updated rules.

It should be noted that many more companies shall be able to take a suitable mechanized walker or two.

One company that shall not be making an appearance in this book is the British Army. We felt that for the purpose of this game that the Prince of Wales Extraordinary Company represented them well enough. This does not mean that you cannot field your own British Army companies, and there shall be all the materials you could want to devise them. This includes a chapter containing guidance on how to create your own company from scratch.

After some discussion, we have decided to not include a lot of the material from IHMN Gothic. This is because IHMN2 will be focused primarily upon VSF not Gothic Horror. With some free addenda, we believe that people shall still be able to enjoy Gothic alongside IHMN2, just as they have with IHMN1.

So there you have it. Comments here, or on the Facebook page, are always welcomed.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: IHMN 2nd Edition Design Notes 2
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 07:31:56 PM »
I haven't ever been a fan of SMGs in the game. They seem to be an evolutionary step from machine guns and having them coexistent with those same weapons seems odd.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:14:24 PM »
Yes, SMGs feel a lot later in the timeline. Why create complex experimental VSF weapons if SMGs were around?

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 10:22:51 PM »
Yes, SMGs feel a lot later in the timeline. Why create complex experimental VSF weapons if SMGs were around?

That is a good point as well

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 01:25:28 PM »
The inclusion of a rudimentary SMG was at the request of many players.  As with all weapons and armour your use of it is entirely optional  :)

As for history, well the first SMGs appeared in the Great War, not too far removed from advanced Victorian tech in 1895. In our own games we shall be restricting it to just a couple of companies. Probably the tech-obsessed Society of Thule, and the Airship Pirates, and even there the quantity shall be limited to certain characters/troop types.

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 01:35:36 AM »
I support SMGs, if only for the sheer number of pulp figures that mostly work for the period that come with them. I know I'll be using them very sparingly in my companies.

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 04:12:04 AM »
I do not see a problem with SMGs per se but I have a problem with the name, Sub Machine Gun sounds very unVictorian, perhaps an RFC, Rapid Fire Carbine...
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 07:10:44 AM »
I do not see a problem with SMGs per se but I have a problem with the name, Sub Machine Gun sounds very unVictorian, perhaps an RFC, Rapid Fire Carbine...

We might well steal that...  >:D

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
perhaps an RFC, Rapid Fire Carbine...

My Gatling-RFC-equipped gentlemen will appreciate that...  :D

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »
We might well steal that...  >:D

Go ahead, I already use it in my customised FUBAR VSF rules but that shouldn’t be an issue 😃...