Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:51:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1,014 figures and more - Plains Wars  (Read 1512 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
1,014 figures and more - Plains Wars
« on: February 17, 2020, 04:27:19 AM »
Yes, Plains Wars in Africa - the East African plains! 

The 1,014 figures is how many figures I've accumulated for my plains herds.  Working on them today and realized I have crossed the 1,000 threshold.  Yup, that is a LOT of animals.  The "and more" is 42 additional figures that will either be used as captive animals for the live animal trade or converted to dead animals - though 4 were sculpted as dead so 38 discounting that.  And, hopefully, I've primed one side of all the remaining bases I will need.  A fair portion is already based and at least 174 are already painted and a good portion already primed and ready for paint.  With a little luck, tomorrow the balance will be primed and ready for paint.  We'll see.

Oh, and my last project tonight is actually for the Plains Wars, Old West version - punching up my Longhorn cattle herd to 96 figures plus two more dead (actual longhorns converted to dead) to go with the four dead cows that will be painted as longhorns but just won't have long horns.  Just have to glue to the prepared bases and then prime them tomorrow.

Back to those other plains, even with 338 bases (3 per base) worth of figures I'm still looking to add more to the collection if I can just find proper sculpts for East African plains - or better sculpts in some cases like the chimpanzees or the lions (not bad but better would be nice).  My greatest hope are for some proper antelope and/or gazelles - I'm using make-dos for my Thompson's and Grant's gazelles and my impalas, same for zebras and wildebeests - but I'd like others like Bongos and the so many unique gazelles, etc.  African Cape Buffalo are correct, had commissioned, molded, and cast - including a dead buffalo.  Better naturalistic gorillas would be good, too. And more - if someone makes them and they fit, I'll almost certainly add them.  Could easily go to 1200 figures, maybe even more.

Not included in the above counts are the critters mixed in with the people for my pulpish East Africa games - which include 9 gorillas suitable for those nasty gray gorillas from the movie Congo, chimps with my multiple versions of Tarzan, Jane, and Boy, etc.

And I'd love to find some nice Orangutans (though they are not from Africa, of course). 

Critter crazy perhaps but having lots of fun.   ;D

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:44:25 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 1,014 figures and more - Plains Wars
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 02:18:49 AM »
Wife gashing her finger pretty bad over weekend slowed production (she's okay now) but the 96 + 4 dead Cape Buffalo got primed tonight as did all the sable antelope (technically, 18 got primed in a new color other than the original white while the rest got the red brown primer treatment from start).  And a half dozen hyena got primed white.  Still have the zebras and the various additional antelope to prep and prime (all washed, though).

Still debating on how I will base the animals for the live animal trade - some will need cages, others can be within fenced enclosures.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 02:16:08 PM »
Sounds like your figs will be MoooovingAway when you get all that on the board!  ;)

Hoping for your wife's prompt recovery - and does she help in the painting (if so, very envious of that).

Offline tabletopwargamer

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 08:43:24 PM »
Photos or it isn't true....  lol

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 01:53:19 AM »
FlyXwire - along time ago my wife helped with texturing some bases when I was in a crunch to get figures ready for a convention but generally, no, she doesn't help paint my figures.  Just a wife in need of a caring husband.  And thank you for the well wishes on her behalf.

Tabletopwargamer, there will be a celebratory photo or three when I have everything primed and based as evidence of progress - and some of the stuff will even be painted!