Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:45:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689675
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Finished project with the kids  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Finished project with the kids
« on: February 18, 2020, 08:23:43 AM »
Two months ago I received 5 blank 1'x1' mdf boards from a mate and this sparked my inspiration for a project I could do with my kids. So I asked another friend if he could 3D print loads of rock formations in FDM and he got them done very fast.

So I blasted them with a black can and me and the kids sat down two weekends ago to paint them in grey tones. They did their very first drybrushing and they loved the effect. Then we used some Vallejo weathering liquids to add algae, dirt and oily stains to give a bit more colour and depth. And I filled 5 of the basins with some Vallejo Still Water. First part done!

Last Wednesday I prepared the boards with some Mod Podge with white paint and then an orange basecoat, so we could get going in the weekend. We sat down again, this time with lots of orange, yellow and red paint and now they learned some wet blending for the lava boards. And once again, they had a lot of fun!
So Sunday everything was dry and we could play our first game in our new lava dungeon. Lots of fun and they loved playing games on something they created themselves.

So, I think projects like these are terrific to enjoy the hobby together with your kids. They're easy to do and don't take a lot of time with a very cool end result.

“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Finished project with the kids
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 08:30:26 AM »
That looks great,and brilliant fun building it :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 09:01:10 AM »
I agree - simple but very effective.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »
Great stuff!!

It's always fun to do hobby things with the kid(s); I know I've enjoyed a few projects already together with my daughter.

And the terrain looks seriously good and the idea is inspired too. Tell them they did an excellent job! :)

And what game are you guys playing there? Do I recognize some Super Dungeon Explore fire imps there? And those are some interesting dice and rulers too... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 03:52:47 PM »
Thanks guys!

@Daeothar: a simple home brewn game thrown together in 5 minutes. I used dice from AEG's Tomb Dice game (excellent D10s...the green dice have 3 axes, grey 5 and the reds 7), measuring sticks from Marvel's Crisis Protocol and miniatures from Dark Souls, Mage Knight and Super Dungeon Explore.
For the rules I gave all models a move, attack, defence and health stat. All with symbols, so easy to reference. Models could walk and do an action (or vice versa) and both heroes had some special abilities (Thunderstrike for the knight who let him attack all enemies within short range, fireball and heal for the sorceress). Attacks were made by rolling dice, counting axes and subtracting defence for damage. They got it within seconds and we could get right down to playing.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 06:43:14 PM »
Nice family project that your kids are sure to remember with fondness. Good job bringing up the next generation of wargamers!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 12:16:17 PM »
Haha, I sure hope to game with them in the future. It's great to see how 'full' they experience everything and how much impact everything has. It's like what we try to emulate and experience again as grownups, but to see how they are enjoying it, pure bliss!

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 01:14:48 PM »
Looks great fun and has produced excellent stuff that could be well used for a variety of games and scales in the future . Most importantly, as marianas_gamer noted, the making of it will be a memory the children will treasure!
I try to involve my children in my projects where possible. It can be frustrating as they do not have grown up levels of concentration or skills, but their  enthusiasm, curiosity and sense of wonder is invigorating!
Also, as a parent of young children, playing games or painting with grown ups during the day time can be seen as selfish. Doing it with my children, on the other hand, is dutiful parenting!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 02:52:53 PM »
What happy kids you have! All smiles... Very cool gameboard, to.