Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:30:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689627
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: KS: Firelock Games' Hard Plastic Figures...  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
KS: Firelock Games' Hard Plastic Figures...
« on: February 19, 2020, 12:55:28 AM »
Raise the Black Coming Soon - Kickstarter May 2020...

- Hard Plastic Range: This expansion will feature an all-new wave of hard plastic sprue kits of Sailors, Militia, and Soldiers. All of which will include multiple customization options allowing them to be used for most nationalities and as various unit types.

- Plastic Ship Kits: The wait is over! A two-section ship with a variety of rig options allowing you to build several types of ships out of a single kit!
I'm not a plastic man fanboy, but considering that almost all the figures I picked up through FG's first KS arrived with muskets bent at almost right angles and that the pistols look mighty thin, plastic would be a better option.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:01:11 AM by Condottiere »

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
Re: KS: Firelock Games' Hard Plastic Figures...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 06:09:58 PM »
Humm.... I was very tempted by thier figures on release, and they look (to me at least) to be more 'historically' accurate than many ranges. YMMV

Im assuming plastic would provide the usual kit bashing potential and Im very intrigued by thier description of the plastic ship frame. My only concern is production moulds could require a pretty huge Kickstarter goal... I shall be keeping an eye.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 12:26:49 AM »
Sounds interesting to me, I have to admit.

-Michael

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 01:58:25 AM »
Seems like everyone is doing Kickstarters. It's nice to be able to invest in what you like.
Mark
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 03:22:21 AM by marco55 »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 02:35:27 AM »
My only concern is production moulds could require a pretty huge Kickstarter goal... I shall be keeping an eye.
200K or so?

Offline chokidar

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »
I must confess the ship kit is the announcement that got me going! I am really impatient and curious to see what this is - and sincerely hope that the Kickstarter delivers..;
I have any number of modelling projects involving ships and finding a decent basic hull shape for onward conversion is so difficult - this could be the answer to a (rather old and not really a) virgin's prayer!
Any ideas anyone when the KS will be launched or any further info on the ship?
We might even be able to make the Glodden Van Titty of Pyrates fame!

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
If the figs require assembly I'll always be avoiding the cause unfortunately, because it's just more time required to accomplish the same objective.

Injection molding, laser cutting, and laser etching have been production advances on my mind, not product advances.

Maybe Firelock sees this as a way to pad it's survivability in the increasingly, capital-heavy future, which is heading towards greater (or heavier) production automation.

Again, I don't view these trends as gamer-driven assets, but more as production-driven (business scale) assets, that aren't offering much more than a lower price-point, but then the new assembly "costs" are off-loaded onto the user end (that's me and you making up the difference).

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 04:34:15 PM »
I'll keep an eye on this one. I have some Spanish Marines and sailors for this era, but militia and a few more sailors would be very nice to give some more variety in the games.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 06:03:09 PM »
Firelock makes nice figures.  But they're a tad expensive, and are larger than most lines.  If they can make plastic figures that are up to the quality of their metals, and lower the price point, I'm in.  Putting them together is hardly a lengthy or difficult job (at least for me).

And, if they can lower the cost of their ships by doing them in plastic-  Hurrah!

Offline Dave Bednarek

• Student
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 08:23:50 PM »
  I'm so pumped for this one. It's been on my dream list for mini's. Plastic pirates and even better yet, plastic ships that can be made into different type boats. For the modeler, working and converting "anything pirate", opens the door for a lot of creativity. I'm all in, both feet. This KS can't get here fast enough.

-Dave-