Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:27:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689532
  • Total Topics: 118284
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Got distracted again;New side project: Anno Domini 1666 (first two games)  (Read 7666 times)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
The faction looks brilliant!  I really look forward to seeing what you do with the Spanish.

-Michael

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
It occurred to me, while watching Monk re-runs, that your shiny guy looks odd because he is glossy almost everywhere.  He should be matte, like the other minis, everywhere except in a the places that get sweaty such as forehead, maybe chest (maybe not).  Perhaps some armpit discoloration, too.

Just my thoughts.

Great job on these minis!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Great work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Olofeus

• Librarian
The Spanish. They are almost as fun to paint as the Ottomans.

Catalina

Francisca

El Baratero

Hidalgos

Four more to go!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Simply brilliant.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
Great job!

I especially like the guy with the dagger behind the hat and your tercio-musketeers.  They turned out better than mine.

Any tips for getting in there and layering those tiny, hard to reach faces?  I'm having a very hard time with them.

Offline Olofeus

• Librarian
Thank you all for your kind comments.

@ErikB: No tips as such for painting faces. I use Vallejo medium flesh tone followed with Army Painter soft tone wash. Then I just add layers of thinned medium flesh tone with basic flesh tone increasingly added to the mix. Some times I add a bit of red in one of the layers. The faces are the part I like to paint the most so I like to put some extra effort to it.

Here are latest additions to the Spanish faction.
Sancho Pancha

The last hidalgo

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
I am still very impressed by your clean painting style and the hands and faces, especially.

I don't like painting those much, I'm more into the clothing and trying to tease out highlights and shadows on it.  I guess I should slow down and learn to master skin colors.

Offline Olofeus

• Librarian
With me it is the other way round. Mostly painting everything else is job that must be done before I can paint the face.
I usually paint the skin bits last.

Thanks for your compliments. And you are absolutely right about Hatmi. He shines too much. I think I need to apply a coat of antishine on him and then just ad a little of gloss varnish to the forehead.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
Lovely painting. I'm in the excruciating part of the process where I'm still waiting for my delivery. I feel that I am dead last on KS delivery every time!
I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the plastics as I went all in on the plastics. I really love those bright colors on the janissaries.
Very nice painting. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
Your work on these is really excellent. I've just got started on them myself (painting one of the thugs from the core box last night). I'll remember this thread so I can use some of your colours, I think! :-)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Lovely looking figures ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Olofeus

• Librarian
Thanks gents!

Here are the last two  of the Spanish faction

Don Quixote

El Capitan

And a shot of the complete  band

Now it's time for a couple of games of AD 1666 before painting some more of these. I think my Baron's war miniatures will start to revolt if more figures cut the painting cue. ;D

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
lovely job.

look fantastic all together in that group pic.