Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Bright Cove Creek (ACW)  (Read 2962 times)

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
Battle of Bright Cove Creek (ACW)
« on: February 20, 2020, 06:45:58 PM »
Vodkafan & I continue our ACW campaign. Using Rebels & Patriots.
This was a simple encounter battle. As it turned out the Yankies
(Vodkafan) led by that (VERY) hard to kill Captain Joshua Appletree were
to be the attackers, while I (lieutenant Dudley M Du Bose) tried to stop them.
Pictures 1 = Battlefield. The right was Confederate territory & the left was
where the Union boys were coming from.
3&4 More views of the Battlefield.
Pictures 4,5,6&7 = They're our brave boys in Grey moving up.
4&5 = Battery Paul & Peter.
6 = 9th Virginia advance.
7 = 11th Virginia move to Green shutters trading post.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Battle of Bright Cove Creek (ACW)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »
Picture 1) Realising the Boys in Blue are not going to attack the Confederate left, the
               dismounted cavalry (skirmishers) move from that flank towards the centre.
Picture 2) 9th Virginia move to the smaller building.
Picture 3) New York Fire Zouves reach the ford.
Picture 4) battery Peter give Appletree's men a warm welcome.
Picture 5) More Blue uniformed troops arrive, this time 51st Pennsylvania.
pictures 6) & 7) Both Peter & Paul pound the Yankees.
Picture 8) Meanwhile Appletree leads the 8th Michigan forward on the Union left.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 07:35:55 PM »
Drat that Appletree, he (yet again) gave me the slip. Here he is on Picture1)
Picture2) 7th Illinois reach the wall before the Green Shutters trading post.
Picture 3) They launch the first of several charges, only to be beaten back each time.
Picture 4) Having waded the creek the skirmishers start to flank the Ohio artillery.
Picture 5) 51st Pennsylvania finally break.

The battle ebbed & flowed & both thought we had (at various stages) won/lost it.
In one crucial move I failed to:-
Activate my flanking skimishers, fire battery Peter, fire 11th Virginia, move the 9th Virginia
& Du Bose himself couldn't rally the 3rd South Carolina!!!!!
Shortly after Appletree managed to pass every test, including a whole force one!!!
It looked like he was about to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, however
fortune turned & a narrow victory was given to the Confederate forces. Du Bose
received promotion to Captain. At last one of my commanders got a promotion that
was NOT posthumous. Still couldn't kill Appletree though, even managed a bonus 'hidden'
enemy firing at him... (to the sound of a Queen, Freddie Mercury, backing track)...
JOSHUAS ALIVEeeeee!!!
Yet again fun was had, dice were thrown & the wargames itch was well & truly scratched.

I hope Vodkafan will fill in the (many) blanks in my report.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 12:18:24 PM »
Here is my photos and description of events:
The scenario

The layout from my side: all peaceful before the battle.
Right flank

The centre with road and ford

The left flank. I decided to concentrate almost all my forces to attack on this side.

Especially after my opponent deployed the majority of his forces overlooking the right flank. He obviously expected me to cross the river there.
I think my plan was a good one. It depended on only two things:  1) being able to get as much as I could across the table with utmost speed in a mad dash before he could move his defending troops over to stop me;
2) getting my artillery piece into action ASAP.

Here is the position of all my troops at the end of turn 1. I got the best possible start. Everything managed to activate and moved it's maximum distance. Notice my use of the river banks! I also rolled a double 6 and got a unit of reinforcements to come on in turn 2. I chose the 6th Illinois.

Notice that the gun is without limber and has to be hauled into position by manpower. (hence shown facing backward)
The NY Fire Zouaves advancing up the road beside them. They have let me down in previous games so I gave this unit the unpleasant task of rushing the ford and neutralizing the Reb cannon at the end of the lane.
But morale is good.

Go on boys! At this moment there is absolutely NOTHING in opposition in their front.

Things went wrong in turn 2 and 3! Most of the units on the left failed to activate and the "mad dash" turned into a stroll.  Joshua Appletree also threw a double 1 and suffered a "brown trouser" moment with loss of an honour point. Perhaps because he found himself suddenly in the lead unit. After being wounded 3 times previously he is a bit hesitant these days.

Here is the Reb Commander gleefully taking advantage of my hesitation.

Worse, my adversary got his Battery Peter into action and the Fire Zouaves started to take casualties as they crossed the ford:

Here is the situation at the end of turn 3: The Reb commander managed to get his troops across the table and occupied both the houses facing the river.  :(

Worse was to come for the Zouaves as they came under a murderous crossfire from both Reb cannon.

The baggy pants have had enough. They rout from the table even as I finally get my own artillery piece into action:

With determination I press forward with the attack on the left flank:

But the Reb artillery catch the 1st Wisconsin Zouaves as they cross the bend in the river and they suffer most grevious casualties:

My reinforcements, the brave 6th Illinois, despite harrowing fire make TWO attempts to storm the Rebs in the house but get thrown back both times with casualties. They fail to try a third time.

While this is all happening Reb skirmishers have sneaked across the river and threaten my artillery:

The 1st Wisconsin finally break and rout

Followed by the 51st Pennsylvania

It's all over as I have lost 75% of my original command points.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:40:52 PM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 02:20:31 PM »
Thanks Vodkafan for providing a much better report than mine,
and the lovely photographs.
Next time Appletree goes down!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 12:19:31 AM »
Thanks Vodkafan for providing a much better report than mine,
and the lovely photographs.
Next time Appletree goes down!

Never! Once he reaches Colonel he will retire and become a State Governer...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 01:54:25 AM »
Gentlemen, fine reports though I must confess vodkafan's comments next to the photos was easier to follow.  I did find the cracked ground brown ground cloth (or whatever) a bit disconcerting.  I know we all use what we have but I've never seen that sort of ground on any of the many ACW battlefields I've walked.  Otherwise, enjoyed it all. 

If all goes well I'll be running a slightly larger game at a convention next month, 52 infantry regiments and -hopefully- 13 cavalry regiments, 20 3 gun batteries (maybe not use them all), and 8 wagons; generals, of course.  Plus terrain to include roads, waterways, and train tracks with trains, farms, fences, walls, etc.

Offline Go player1

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 02:18:37 AM »
Nice!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 07:24:02 AM »

If all goes well I'll be running a slightly larger game at a convention next month, 52 infantry regiments and -hopefully- 13 cavalry regiments, 20 3 gun batteries (maybe not use them all), and 8 wagons; generals, of course.  Plus terrain to include roads, waterways, and train tracks with trains, farms, fences, walls, etc.

Thank you! Will your big game be using Rebels and Patriots rules too?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 04:48:11 PM »
My rules of choice for all 18th and 19th century battle games (mostly my area of interest) is now Rank and File which has become quite popular here in California with historical miniatures gamers.  The rules are simple to learn, play fast, and yield a decision by end of game. 

Some complain the rules don't have a points system (which is fine by me) and that they lack a command and control element.  However, there is an optional points system in one of the supplements and the ACW supplement has a command and control mechanism. 

My only complaint with the rules is too many dice but the way they work doesn't really slow the game down - and the larger number of dice are only for firing large infantry units (one die per firing stand). 

Rules can be used at any scale and with whatever basing system is used as long as it applies to both sides. 

And the rules modify easily without breaking.  One common change from the basic rules - and an author approved option - is to use a d8 instead of d6 for morale so that smaller units have a better chance of surviving longer before becoming unrecoverable (at half strength or below units can no longer recover morale).

I have gotten to the point where I GREATLY prefer focusing on the table and the miniatures and not the rules.     And these rules really allow that - 98% of a game can be played just using the QRS without consulting the rule book.  That old KISS rule (the original version): Keep It Short and Simple.  Not quite Beer and Pretzels rules but not Wine and Cheese complex, if you get the point. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:50:47 PM by FifteensAway »

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 08:07:14 PM »
One of those unwritten laws is (to me)
'if you find a set of rules you like... Stick with them'

I heartily agree with the sentiment of looking at the game more than the rules.

Offline tabletopwargamer

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 08:19:42 PM »
Some complain they don't have a points system...

For me that's a bonus.

I don't get this modern obsession with spoon-fed, boring points games.

Lovely Photos BTW, great reports.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 11:08:31 AM »
As we (Me, Vodkafan, Flatpack et al.) have got past having just enough figures
for Rebels & Patriots, I am toying with the idea of doing a card for each unit.
Then before the game starts players draw cards (maybe throw a dice for how many)
& you play the cards you've been dealt. It might be you wanted Artillery, but got cav.
or shock Inf. but got skirmishers. Add to this uncertainty the possibility of re-enforcement cards
and you get something closer to real commander problems. This is how I would like to
move away from the level points games.
I would also add an after battle chart. As well as the usual victory points, something
that would reward under strength forces while penalising big armies.
Something that would have the same effect of a minnow of a football club drawing
a super team in the F.A. Cup. If the minnows loose, no big surprise, but if the avoid
the expected drubbing, the newspapers next day will heap praise on the plucky underdogs.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 11:18:46 AM »
Some complain they don't have a points system...

For me that's a bonus.

I don't get this modern obsession with spoon-fed, boring points games.

Lovely Photos BTW, great reports.

I must say I have found points systems are not all bad. They are certainly not a handicap to  tactics in our games (even if the tactics don't work half the time!) A lot depends on having an interesting scenario and terrain that affects troop movement- two things that has.been is very good at. I have never been bored yet!
 As well as Rebels and Patriots we play a lot of AK47, which is also points based but you might not get all your forces on the table.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 11:29:20 AM »
As we (Me, Vodkafan, Flatpack et al.) have got past having just enough figures
for Rebels & Patriots, I am toying with the idea of doing a card for each unit.
Then before the game starts players draw cards (maybe throw a dice for how many)
& you play the cards you've been dealt. It might be you wanted Artillery, but got cav.
or shock Inf. but got skirmishers. Add to this uncertainty the possibility of re-enforcement cards
and you get something closer to real commander problems. This is how I would like to
move away from the level points games.
I would also add an after battle chart. As well as the usual victory points, something
that would reward under strength forces while penalising big armies.
Something that would have the same effect of a minnow of a football club drawing
a super team in the F.A. Cup. If the minnows loose, no big surprise, but if the avoid
the expected drubbing, the newspapers next day will heap praise on the plucky underdogs.

Interesting ideas. The unit lottery we could try first? Or another alternative we could use the excellent AK47 mechanism of dicing for which units come on and (maybe) get the rest in phases.