Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:51:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Greek War of Independence  (Read 7455 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
The Greek War of Independence
« on: February 21, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
I’m pretty much ready to make a proper start on my Greek War of Independence project.  By which I mean I’ve got the first two units done. As I’m working with 15mm I realise I’m going to have to do some conversions.  Fortunately, most of them will be fairly simple.  I’ll post them here as I go.

I hoping that people who know the GWI well can help me with information as I have drawn a blank so far.

What was the composition of Ibrahim Pasha’s expedition?  I know he had French trained Egyptian regulars who seemed to have performed well.  He also seems to have had some Arab troops, were they Bedouin? Some contemporary paintings seem to indicate they were.  I’m not sure if that was artistic license or not?  Any information will be gratefully received.

I’m also wondering how to rate the various units on both sides.  I’ll be using Rebels and Patriots so it’s a question of fitting forces into prescribed categories.  As an example, I could characterise the Maniotes as Aggressive, Veteran, Skirmishers.  Any information on the morale and capabilities of any of the troops involved in the GWI will be most welcome.

No doubt I will have many more questions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.  Here’s my first conversion based on one of the women fighters shown in the well-known painting of the Siege of Missolonghi.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Re: The Greek War of Independence
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 05:42:33 PM »
Great idea for a project. Not a war I know anything about really, but I'll follow with interest.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 02:11:18 PM »
I'm still assimilating info' at the moment and hopefully learning as I go.  I've got or have ordered most of the figures and I'll post the first couple of units shortly.  The Philhellenes are going to be an eclectic looking bunch.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 04:46:35 PM »
My first unit of Egyptian regulars.  Nice figures from Minifigs 15mm Napoleonic range.  I've read that they made a poor impression on the Greeks when the first arrived.  Apparently they were thought to be over skinny and many of them had lost an eye to disease.  As it turned out they proved to be good soldiers well trained in modern methods and disciplined in combat.  I'll field them as Line Infantry in Rebels and Patriots.

Offline jeffreythancock

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 02:11:37 AM »
I'm looking forward to more of your work on this subject.

Thank you for sharing!

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 02:44:55 PM »
You're welcome Jeffrey.  I think I'm going to do the Ottoman units first as painting the Greeks is going to take longer to get the look I want.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 08:01:08 AM »
I'm reading diverse descriptions of Greek regulars.  Sometimes they appear to have worn a black fez adorned with the skull and cross bones motif.  Other times they appear to have worn a classical helmet of standard Napoleonic type.  In the end I went with something to match Steve Barber's Greek regular sculpt and I followed his uniform details too.

Offline Leunstoelgeneraal

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 10:32:07 AM »
Lovely ! I find this war interesting, but will try it in Steve Barber's 28mm. Please keep up the posting: every picture is inspiring !

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
Thanks, I'll post more soon.  The Steve Barber figures are lovely.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 01:58:55 PM »
I'm making steady progress now.

Another unit of Egyptian regulars in a slightly different uniform and three conversions for Greek mounted fighters.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 02:28:30 PM »
A unit of Ottoman irregulars.  I used a couple of these as fighting Greek Priests with a simple black paint conversion-it worked well enough.  They are more flamboyant as provincial Sekhans.

I'm just about ready to start on the Greeks.  This means converting some Minifigs into Maniotes.  It's hard to resist doing the Maniotes.  The lived extensively by brigandage and piracy and had resisted foreign authority since the days of the Crusades. When Ibrahim Pasha threatened to invade their peninsular with 7,000 troops they sent a reply.

"From the few Greeks of Mani and the rest of Greeks who live there to Ibrahim Pasha. We received your letter in which you try to frighten us saying that if we don't surrender, you'll kill the Maniots and plunder Mani. That's why we are waiting for you and your army. We, the inhabitants of Mani, sign and await you."

They hammered Ibrahim's army. The conversion will mean adding long hair, sashes and swords.  Luckily for me Ancient and Modern Miniatures do 15mm curved swords and I've ordered some.

Anyhow, here are the Provincial Sekhans.

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 09:45:17 PM »
These are gorgeous 15mm, as one of the original commissioners of the Steve Barber range...for anyone interested in 28mm I would also suggest looking at Matchlock miniatures as this has useful figs

http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=14&CategoryID=36&SubCategoryID=328

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 11:45:37 PM »
Thanks Shipka, they are a pleasure to paint.  I didn't know about the Matchlock line they look pretty good too.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 11:49:13 AM »
I've identified some figures for the Philhellenes and made a start on the Greeks.  The latter are coming up nicely though it's pains taking work to get the right effect.  One more unit of Egyptian regulars and the Turks are done, horse, foot and gun.

Fitting what I've got into Rebels and Patriots troop types is going to be interesting.  I'll have suck it and see as I can claim no great expertise.

Meantime here are some Turkish skirmishers.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 07:07:25 AM »
Here is shown the number of Philhellenes that took part by country.
Sorry, it is in Greek, but it is a document from the Encyclopedia of the History of the Hellenic Nation
The first column, how many took part. The second, how many of them died.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi