Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:07:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Darkoath's Great War Project  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Darkoath's Great War Project
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:56:46 PM »
Well decided to finally take the plunge and do WW1.  The first force that I shall do will be late war Germans.  I will be using Renegade, Great War Miniatures, Scarab Miniatures, and Brigade Games Miniatures.  I have ordered four Renegade regiments boxes and am waiting for those.  Will be using aircav's great painting guide.  Currently am making a list of the paints I need and will soon order everything I don't already have.  I shall post some photographs of my first miniatures just to make sure every one thinks I am on the right track.

For rules I will be doing 1000 points at a time from Warhammer Historical's The Great War.  I have this set and plan to purchase Over the Top when it is finally released.  I also own Price of Glory and will try out these rules too.  And have just recently ordered Too Fat Lardies  Through the Mud and the Blood.  I have been hearing good things about this set of skirmish rules.  There is a new scenario supplement now available for this rule set too and plan to order this when they have a hard copy printed.  Right now you can only order a pdf. 

My plan is to also eventually do late war French, British, Austro-Hungarian, and perhaps some Yanks.  The plan is to do 1000 points of late war British using Renegade, GWM, and Brigade after I finish my first 1000 points of LW Germans.  I will do another 1000 points of LW Germans and by then Scarab should have finished out their LW French and will use them and Brigade Games to do my first 1000 points.  I also plan to do tanks, armored cars and other vehicles.  I also own the HLBSC big guns for each side.

I was just talking with Helen about starting a sticky about the various sources of resin trenches available as I have been scouring the forums here and at TMP for information.  I think we really need a sticky about this... as anyone who will do late war will most likely be doing what I am and start looking for trench terrain pieces to use.  Taking inspiration from Phil's beautiful terrain pieces I have decided to build my own using Grimm's nice step by step guide he posted when building the Prof's board.  I will use 2" pink foam and make a 4' by 8' board in 2' by 2' sections.  The plan is to have three lines of trenches at each end using up 2' by 4'.  This will leave the two middle sections, half the table, for a nice no man's land.  I already own some nice resin pieces of destroyed buildings that can be used.  I would like to also do some special pieces like a downed aircraft, shell holes with bodies and water etc.  That is why I have asked for some suggested resources about how to design my trench system.  I shall do a post when I start this project with photographs.  Just purchased another digital camera so I will also need to learn to take proper photographs and have been reading posts about that subject as well. 

I had planned at one time to do Great War re-enacting and actually had a complete kit to do the 5th Sturm Battalion.   I really like the red piping on these uniforms so will include these Storm troopers  in my first 1000 points.  I owned an original KAR 98 with butcher bayonet, and a broom handled mauser with the full holster and cleaning rod.  Had original gas mask tin with a reproduction gas mask.  Most of my items were acquired via Great War Militaria and other members of the 5th.  They are an excellent source for your cloth uniforms and also will send off sample pieces.  Wish I had a nice picture of me in my full 5th kit but it is all sold off now.  The planned trench system for re-enactments, to be rebuilt at a new site, never happened and I was tired of waiting years.

So hopefully 2010 will see two 1000 point armies painted and one 4' by 8' trench table built! ;D :D    Also my first photographs posted on LAF so I can be a proper member posting photographs of his work! ;)

Darkoath
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:49:22 AM by Darkoath »

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: Darkoath's Great War Project
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:22:17 PM »
Good luck with the project, I look forward to seeing your progress. With regard to the Blood and Mud supplement, unless Rich has had a change of heart this will only be available as a PDF, I don't think you will be dissapointed with the rules, out of the sets I have these are my favourite.

Phil

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 04:59:01 AM »
Good luck Darkoath with the project.

You are lucky that you are starting out now with a diverse range of belligerents from a number of companies. I see a good year for WW1 once again.

I see Scrab will be releasing Rommels mountain troops very soon alongside other goodies.

Helen
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:58:39 PM by Helen »
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:17:20 PM »
Good luck with the project, I look forward to seeing your progress. With regard to the Blood and Mud supplement, unless Rich has had a change of heart this will only be available as a PDF, I don't think you will be dissapointed with the rules, out of the sets I have these are my favourite.

Phil

My favorite too, and the scenarios in the Lardy supplement "Stout Hearts" are well worth having, but the training and tactics section makes it a must have for the period IMHO.  One of the Lardy specials (Summer 09, I think) also has an excellent article on trench building
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »
Sounds like a great project. The Two Fat Lardies stuff is generally pretty good, so let us know how you get on.

Starting a thread for the project is also a great idea - it's very self-motivating. For we shall all point and laugh if you get distracted by 'Ooh shiny' when you're halfway through painting up your fifth identical unit in a row!  lol

Good luck!

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 04:52:52 PM »
Will it be 'over by Christmas', though? Sorry. :D
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:25:51 PM »
Am looking fowards to following your progress.  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 11:03:00 AM »
I was just talking with Helen about starting a sticky about the various sources of resin trenches available

Is there a list of resin or any other material trenches anywhere on LAF or dotted about the net in other places?

What I'm really looking for is something I can drop in onto a 50mm deep foam board terrain tile for 28mm.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:06:22 AM by Atheling »

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 04:29:49 AM »
Do you want trenches that sit on top of the terrain tile, so that the whole system is above ground? Or do you want a trench system that you can embed into the tile, with only the parapet and parados above ground? Or both options?

Robert

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
Do you want trenches that sit on top of the terrain tile, so that the whole system is above ground? Or do you want a trench system that you can embed into the tile, with only the parapet and parados above ground? Or both options?

Robert

Hi Robert,

What I'm really looking for is something I can drop in onto a 50mm deep foam board terrain tile for 28mm.

I was hoping that someone would do trench pieces that could be slid into 50mm thick foam board, hopefully including 'firing steps'. To save time more then anything though I realise that some modelling on the corner of zig zags etc would have to be done.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 01:16:02 PM »
Iam confused, are you guys in the right thread?
, ,

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 12:03:18 PM »
Check out Acheson Creations (link).

Go to the 28mm 20th Century range and look for the trench inserts:

Robert