Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:54:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WWII train track project  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
WWII train track project
« on: February 23, 2020, 04:40:48 PM »
Several of you have asked how I did the train tracks for my WWII 20mm set (featured in the last posts Battle report on my site www.HistoricalHobbies.com) and I remembered that I had taken pictures of the process done a few years ago intending to do a “workbench” article. So, digging deep I found them and wrote up a bit on what I did.

I use HO scale for my 20mm WWII games, yes it is just a bit small being 1/87 scale and 20mm being 1/72 but it is hardly noticeable and given how much is out there and how cheap you can pick it up for its a winner. I had done several games using the HO scale track before but it looked a bit phony just laying on top of the game map. Most train tracks are on a raised “roadbed” and I put my mind to trying to figure out how best to accomplish this. The raised roadbed would not only look better it would make the track stay in place better on the game table, as well as create the “berm” for troops to hunker down behind and tanks to go “hull down”! The project has several more steps after this initial "track" section and I will post both here and on my site. If you want to easily get updates subscribe to the site and you will be automatically notified by email new articles and updates.

I have just posted a complete article on my website www.HistoricalHobbies.com  for those of you who are interested. It show how to turn this into

THIS! :D

Offline Hacksaw

• Bookworm
    • Hacksaw's Hobby Bunker - a vlog assortment
Re: WWII train track project
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 06:16:04 PM »
Cracking bit of work, that!
The Way is Forward.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 10:37:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing that. I currently have about 9 feet of second-hand rail and some points to fix up so the article is very useful.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Wildman II

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 04:37:58 PM »
Very nice! I would love to do something like that.

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 08:42:23 AM »
Your railroad track looks great! Although as a model railroader I must say the Santa Fe heavyweight certainly caught my eye as being a bit out of place on a European battlefield next to a Panther  lol

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 05:48:22 PM »
Your railroad track looks great! Although as a model railroader I must say the Santa Fe heavyweight certainly caught my eye as being a bit out of place on a European battlefield next to a Panther  lol

Yes, WWII era car are few and far between as well as expensive.... these cars are physically close but need repainting.... to many projects!  ;D

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 11:41:44 PM »
Yes, WWII era car are few and far between as well as expensive.... these cars are physically close but need repainting.... to many projects!  ;D

For sure. I don't have any trains or tracks in my wargaming terrain collection, though I've got plenty of HO scale models in my train collection  lol. I mostly game in 28mm and finding appropriately scaled rolling stock for a price I'd be willing to pay for wargaming terrain is not an easy task. If you do end up repainting the heavyweight it would blend in and I don't think too many people would give it a second glance on the table.

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 06:47:21 PM »
Pretty cool idea!  I still use the cork roadbed for model railroading, then mount it on a thin piece of wood.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA