Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:42:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Insurgency in Quadam - Empress Buildings  (Read 26815 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Insurgency in Quadam - Empress Buildings
« on: February 24, 2020, 02:02:19 PM »
Never heard of it?  To be fair I made it up (and I’m not even sure you would have a “u” placed in an Arabic word like that!?) - none the less, that’s what I’m calling it, the fictional Middle East setting for a little modern project log.

QUADAM

The Sultanate of Quadam,  has long enjoyed ties with the West and has had a tolerable relationship with Israel whilst maintaining a generally well respected position among other Arab states. 

The country only about twice the size as Belgium has about 200km of coastline, its capital, Nazwa, sits at highest point of this coast and boasts the country's only significant port and its single, until now, relatively quiet international airport.  Roughly half of the country’s population can be found here.  With exception of a few scattered villages, the bulk of the remainder of the country’s inhabitants are to be found in one of three towns, Ras al Salwa in the South East, Rawdah about 50km South of the capital and Qimat Alshita, the only town in the mountainous areas to the West.  Each town has a small regional airport servicing internal flights and providing bases for the airforce.

Quadam has a standing army of only 20,000, a small airforce with only a few dozen fighter aircraft, attack helicopters and support aircraft, and a mere handful of coastal patrol craft that pass for a navy.  The country does have a well trained paramilitary Police force,  centred mostly on the capital, the three towns and with small provincial stations dotted around the until now quiet country.

Not a particularly wealthy state compared with other oil rich countries of the region, it does however have small oil reserves and being relatively small with a population of only one and a half million, the distribution of wealth has ensured a moderately comfortable life for most of its indigenous population.   Coupled with the popularity of the Sultan, Gilad Salahuddin , as well as the majority of his family, the Arab Spring passed the country by completely.   

Sultan Gilad Salahuddin

However, recent discoveries of large mineral deposits of Unobtainium and even small traces of Elludium, threaten to attract significant external interest and estimates suggest Quadam’s financial standing is about to rocket, perhaps even eclipsing other internationally established Gulf States.

This has led to some resentment among its neighbours, jealous of its geological advantages, especially as they themselves are also facing the inevitable decline of their own dwindling oil reserves.  Long forgotten arguments about border positions and lines on maps have been dragged up once again, especially in areas where the mineral deposits are close to Quadam’s borders. 

Resentment has led to covert hostility with secret funding, training and operational support given to hill tribesmen from the West of the country, playing on their long held beliefs of their own historical prominence in ruling the country.  The tribes have been stirred up into a frenzy and already, attacks on military outposts and police stations in the West have resulted in hundreds of deaths.  The Sultan and his government have struggled to comprehend the threat and effectively deal with the tribesmen and have looked to the West for support. 

Western nations are however reluctant to commit large numbers of troops and military equipment to the region though for fear of escalating existing tensions currently strained, with Iran, only a few hundred kilometres across the gulf.  So far, only a handful of special forces and other advisory military contractors have been committed to the country, coming in the main from the UK, US and Canada.

Big businesses too, positioning themselves to reap the riches have engaged private military contractors to guard their assets.

Things are about to take a dramatic and more sinister turn however.  Close to the Northern border with Quadam and within striking distance of the capital, one of the last remaining pockets of the so called Daesh,  driven from its strongholds but as dangerous as a cornered snake, has seen an opportunity to capitalise on the current turmoil and perhaps start a new caliphate.......

So, there you have it, a fictitious setting for a new conflict.  When the guys mentioned playing Spectre a few weeks ago now, my curiosity was prodded and I bought myself a copy of the rules and half a dozen or so operatives.  They arrived on Friday, the day before we played (see The Middle East game https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=122712.0 in this forum) and I have to say, my interest was truly cemented after playing on Flatpack’s fantastic table.

So, I’ve had a fish about, and with some Eureka models found in my lead pile, along with a a few die cast vehicles, two of which I picked up from Has Been at the weekend, I have the start of my collection.  The Afghans will represent the hill tribesmen.

Now for the funky bit.....

I have just invested in a 3D printer.......

I want in the first instance to start building a hotel & mosque and using it to produce good Arab architecture. 

Let the journey commence....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 06:09:17 PM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Insurgency in Quadam
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »
I am calling shotgun on all your miscasts.
Oh & I will provide a (long) shopping list of 'bits',
once you work out how to plug it in etc.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »
Woah fella!  There is the small matter of me figuring out how to use autocad first!

I’m only buying an entry level machine....printing times may be a little slow too!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 04:39:17 PM »
I can wait.
I am still (occasionally) opening & using Humbrol paint tins
I bought with my two shillings pocket money.

By the way I have some Afghans (1930s) that I could do up,
and use as the less well equipped hill tribesmen.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 05:55:24 PM »
Go for it mate.

Printer arrived at work today so a quick read and a crash course in cad and I will be having a go at a minaret.  To be fair, I’ve seen one already drawn on line, it will just need a little cropping. 

After that, I want to concentrate on designing Arabian arches, recessed windows with wrought iron patterned meshed windows and balconies.  My intent is to mix these in with foam card walls to reduce weight and cost but allow sufficient ornate architectural detailing to make them stand out.

I was also impressed with Bob’s Blotz buildings.  Simple but effective so I may get a few to play about with.  Maybe design a few ornate gates and add a few buttresses, plus roof water tanks, a/c units etc

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:08:59 PM by Digits »

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 07:52:42 PM »
Let the mojo flow.
Flatpack

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 08:56:08 PM »
If that picture is your first attempt, I am very impressed.

If you make some of those 'perforated bricks' thin enough, you would
be able to glue them onto thin MDF & create the illusion that it is solid.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 09:09:20 PM »
Yes good idea.  Lots of ideas....just need to try some low hanging fruit first....

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 08:09:12 AM »

The Sultanate of Quadam,  has long enjoyed ties with the West and has had a tolerable relationship with Israel whilst maintaining a generally well respected position among other Arab states. 

The country only about the same size as Belgium has about 200km of coast line, its capital, Nazwa, sits at highest point of its coastline and boasts the country's only significant port and its single, until now, relatively quiet international airport.  70% of the population can be found here.  The remainder of the country’s inhabitants are to be found in one of three towns, Ras al Salwa in the South East, Rawdah about 50km South of the capital and Qimat Alshita, the only town in the mountainous areas to the West.  Each town has an airstrip.

I am sure our holiday plane had a 5 hour stopover there once.....we looked around the  Nazwa bazaar   ;)
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 11:04:35 AM »
One of us is on drugs then!    ;D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 11:10:36 PM »
Ok.....so, not a total disaster!  At least I have the machine working.

I need to figure out how one of them suddenly fell over three quarters through the print.

Not supposed to require pritt or tape with this bed type.  Not that I have the faintest idea what I’m talking about....but I may need to increase the bad temperature a tad.

However.....considering much of the stuff I want to start with is relatively flat (doors, arches, windows etc) it would have finished long before this one.

Have to say though....what has printed is great detail, smooth and rock solid....impressed with my little headless test owls!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:19:55 PM by Digits »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 11:20:50 PM »
INTERESTING PROJECT :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
GOOD START WITH THE PRINTER

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 07:12:01 AM »
I thought they were strawberries
 lol

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 07:52:06 AM »
I thought they were strawberries
 lol
My first thought as well.
Good luck.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 08:33:18 AM »
Ok then we call them strawberries and a total success!  lol

Going to design my first window hopefully today....then print it tonight.