Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:14:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686652
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sharp Practice 1809 Project - Update 2/2023: Sharp Practice AAR  (Read 27823 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Sharp Practice 1809 Project
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »
Great stuff across the board. I particularly like the Polish troops.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2020, 07:50:31 PM »
Yes, I do, very much, they look excellent.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2020, 09:02:36 AM »
Very well painted, congrats Sigur!
Especially the work on their faces is first rate!!!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2020, 09:57:57 AM »
Lovely painting once more  :-*

Are the Murawski miniatures as lovely as they look? I‘m eyeing them for the Vistula Legion.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2020, 12:20:54 AM »
@Rick W.: Cheers, me too! :)

@Shahbahraz: Thank you! Now to get the rest of the bunch painted like that....

@DintheDin: Thanks! Yes, lately I put a bit more 'colour' on faces. Just makes them look more lively and interesting, I think.

@Warboss Nick: Thanks very much! Yes, they're really nice. Well, it's Paul Hicks sculpts, so they can be expected to be. :) they also go perfectly well with Perrys, Old Glory, Victrix/Perry/Warlord plastics and so on. The one Front Rank dude on foot I got looks a tiny bit 'scaled up', but a.) he's an NCO, he's supposed to be burly and b.) once they're all painted I'm sure he won't stick out. I'll write a review about the Murawski figures once they're done.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2020, 07:50:27 PM »
Thank you for the quick heads up on Murawski Miniatures. I‘m looking forward to the full review. Luckily (?) I still have loads to paint before I reach the Vistula Legion.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2021, 12:52:24 PM »
@Warboss Nick: Well, you can always outsource that to one of those paintmonkeys-for-hire..  ;) (sorry, I'm contractually obliged to say that) I'm not exactly sure how Murawski Minis works. I think it belongs to Emperor Toad's Emporium, which seems to encompass a few ranges of figures. Oh, and the cast-on basey bit on the (very, very pretty) horses says "Ebob". It's a complicated world. :D

Happy new year, everybody. Didn't get much painting done the past days, and what's done of the Polish infantry so far isn't very impressive. Just regular old batch painting. But i'm proceeding. Well, not right now. Right now I got a headache. :P

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2021, 01:22:29 PM »
Slowly I'm plodding through the Poles.

full size image: https://i.imgur.com/TJVCg8V.jpg

I think I got most of the big, boring steps done now. One more major thing will be painting whites. Crossbelts, straps on all sorts of things and of course the white piping. That'll be a big one. After that the next steps will be getting the skin done properly and the greatcoats. I'm planning to vary the colour on these a little. They should be 'pepper grey', as in the French army, but of course they were manufactured all over the Duchy and maybe there'll be some who brought their own greatcoats or got them somewhere else, so varying colour on these is never a bad idea.

Even got the bases brown, which took many more steps than one might think. :D I prime the Austrians light grey and use that as a base for the brown on the bases. Of course with the black primer on the Poles I have to throw in one or two in-between steps to get the bases to a shade which goes with the Austrians.

Well, that's it. It certainly isn't going fast, but miniature painting never does, right? And it shouldn't. These are my own figures I do in my leisure time, so I make the conscious decision to paint them as that as well.

Hope you like them so far. By now the look of the guys is starting to form (which is one of the reasons why I tend to paint base colours one after another and then start detailling. This way I get a better impression of the overall look).

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2021, 01:56:37 PM »
Starting to look the part. One thing. I think I count 44 line infantry, which is an odd number for a SP force?

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2021, 03:08:23 PM »
Starting to look the part. One thing. I think I count 44 line infantry, which is an odd number for a SP force?

Very well observed! It's 2 units of voltigeurs (ie skirmishers, so 6 figures per unit). The front-most row of figures is all leaders, two drummers, and a flag/eagle bearer.

The rest of the chaps is 6 groups of 8 line infantry each. 5 of them I painted as test figures, and somehow I got an extra infantryman for free with my order, so I got one extra chap. I decided to paint him up anyway, since I'm painting all his comrades at once anyway and you never know when you need an extra figure.

I figured that these would do for starters for an SP2 force. I also got two units of lancers (of course), and I got a bunch of French Chasseurs-a-Cheval who I'll cheekily use as Polish chasseurs, because they basically wore the same uniforms. Kinda. Well, not quite, but almost. I'm also itching a bit to get some grenadiers as well.

For the Austrian "core force" I did 4 groups of line infantry plus two groups of 3rd rank skirmishers. Which isn't much, but I still got two to three more units of Landwehr for Tyrol and if needs be two more groups of Austrian line infantry with shakos as a stand-in until I get more helmeted line infantry. Oh, and I'd like to get two groups of grenadiers as well. I'm basically just waiting for Front Rank's store opening up again for EU customers to get Polish and Austrian Grenadiers. Because a.) I'd like those to be in an attack pose (so I got fusiliers in marching pose, skirmishers in ...well, skirmishy poses, and grenadiers in a high/low porte attack pose) and b.) The FR 'format' compared to regular-sized infantry by Victrix, Murawski, etc. will fit grenadiers perfectly! It will be glorious. :D

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2021, 06:09:00 PM »
@Warboss Nick: Well, you can always outsource that to one of those paintmonkeys-for-hire..  ;) (sorry, I'm contractually obliged to say that)

Not a problem ;) I just don’t think I can afford your services.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2021, 09:56:27 AM »
Not a problem ;) I just don’t think I can afford your services.

Yeah, and I'm just weird. I much prefer to play with figures I've painted myself. I've really only bought painted figures twice. One a mix of 15mm medieval that was way cheaper than unpainted lead, and the other was the Eurofed force from the Future War Commander rulebook.

For the foreseeable future, I won't be using painting services...

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2021, 07:19:32 PM »
Aye, that's a sensible approach, which of course I share. Also, I'd kinda feel like a fraud using figures painted by someone else. :D But then again, pretty much any aspect about this wonderful hobby is a bit twisted for me of course. Of course with painted plastics armies especially there's very often the problem that many people don't clean the mold lines properly, which defeats the point of the painting anyway, because you'd have to scrape off the mold lines and then repaint the bits. Buying plastics second hand is very problematic in general. Metals - no problem, but plastics are iffy.

Come to think of it, I got one painted collection I kept as is. Many years ago a gentleman left me all his Warhammer Fantasy Empire collection for next to nothing. That one I kept painted as they were, because they look really nice, and it already was after the time I played Warhammer Fantasy battles. These guys (with some neatening up here and there) sometimes find use in random Fantasy games I play, like the Sellswords&Spellslingers campaigns I posted about this summer or in some Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes games.

Waitaminute, I got the Future War Command rulebook a bunch of years ago. I'll have to check the pictures for that army!

Well, no news on the Polish front. I started painting the whites on the infantry, almost fell out my chair out of boredom and my focus of interest was nudged in a sci-fi direction. So for the past day or two I've been setting up a test game for 5150:Citizen Soldier. I got barely any games in the past year, and only now I thought of trying out some Two Hour Wargames games. Those are pretty much made for solo play anyway. Then I realized I got shockingly little in the way of sci-fi terrain. I got shockingly little good terrain anyway. Of course it doesn't help that I need/want all these things 28mm and so they can fill a 6' by 4' table.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2021, 09:13:53 PM »
Ah yes, terrain, my perennial bugbear. I am gradually building up bits and pieces, but pretty much everything is on hold, as my shed is leaking badly, and anything I put in there is going to get damp and mouldy.

The new year hopefully I will be able to get the shed repaired or replaced.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2021, 12:06:56 AM »
@Shahbahraz: Aye, getting the existing stock of terrain not to rot away probably is a good priority. :)

Heyhey, here I am again. After a standstill in this project due to lack of time I returned to the Polish line infantry and tackled that dreaded "all the white things" stage. Also painted the rolled-up greatcoats and basecoated the gold.

full size image: https://i.imgur.com/gCRW309.jpg

Next up's probably the skin, finishing metallics, the white metal eagle, bayonets, scabbards, buttons, and all the annoying extra details (some figures carry sausages, extra pairs of shoes, pots, etc. and some got slightly torn up uniforms and so on). Plus: Voltigeurs (or Woltyzerowie) details.

You probably noticed that I put leaders/musicians to the side for now. I'll see that I get the infantry done, and THEN go on to do some of the more complicated stuff.

In other news, I had a game of Sharp Practice 1809! Because Cpt.Shandy's way faster on his 1809 project than I am. So he invited me to have a game via Discord. You can read his game report here: https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/.
Enjoy. :)