Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:01:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sharp Practice 1809 Project - Update 2/2023: Sharp Practice AAR  (Read 27812 times)

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sharp Practice 1809 Project
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2020, 09:17:30 PM »
Sigur you have inspired me! I will get up when dawn breaks tomorrow morning, break out the paints and bash on with all those wretched unfinished projects until my eyes bleed....or maybe not. :(
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2020, 08:47:29 AM »
Blinding beautiful!
You managed to show every little detail of these figures! Fantastic work on the whites, metal parts very well done and very accurate work on their helmets! Shall I imagine that the flag is handpainted too?  :-*  :)
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2020, 12:58:12 PM »
 :o Oh damn, they do look nice.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2020, 02:48:53 PM »
Very nice!  :-*

Love the Austrians. One of my favorite factions in the Napoleonic wars.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2020, 10:30:29 AM »
@Shahbahraz: Thanks very much. :)

@vodkafan: :D Cheers. Soo.... did it work?

@DintheDin: Thanks very much, Sir! Haha, no, the flag is just a fuzzy home-made print. I didn't even paint over it or anything.

@Commissarmoody: Thank you!

@Ray Rivers: Yar, they're interesting, aren't they.

Right, back to my own figures for a bit:

In my defense, I'll claim that the photo is entirely un-flattering. And they're not finished obviously. I mean it's clear that these won't be the prettiest figures in the world how ever much time I invest. But I say that this shot does them a disservice. :D If it makes one thing clear though I guess it's that I won't get around doing the breeches properly. Drums need also to be finished, same with faces and the green on the jackets.

Lately I've gotten more and more into red bits on faces, lips and stubble, which of course darkens them a bit and takes out the stark higlihghts. It's always a balance act with faces, isn't it. And of course approaches/styles/preferences/etc. change on a monthly basis. At least with me.

I just added the oak leafs on the hats (green stuff), so I'm leaving them to cure now. I got other stuff to do anyway. Anyway, that's them for now, hope to finish them by the end of the month.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2020, 10:13:27 PM »
Well... I don't think I can do much more for them.

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2020_09/landwehr1.jpg.ec109a98960dfce00adfbae89b60b435.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2020_09/landwehr2.jpg.1bc68b38249a586582c1d15a24bb1cc0.jpg

As mentioned before, I'll write up a full review of these chaps in the near future, because I find them to be rather interesting. The flags I added today. Just made'em up in image editing software, as nobody quite knows what these looked like. Usually Landwehr units were given Ordinärfahnen out of the line infantry's stocks and then Landwehr units added their own designs on the revers side of the flag. In this case I got two flag bearers, so I made on flag featuring a variant of the carinthian coat of arms (three black lions, red-white-red) and on the other flag I put the coat of arms of the city of Klagenfurt (white tower, Lindwurm [Wyvern]).

Seeing as how these were done I took the opportunity and based the whole collection (or what's finished so far). So here's the core of my 28mm Sharp Practice force:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2020_09/force2.jpg.f6ed171c4050cb32c978b6600e2d8adb.jpg

They represent parts of Chasteler's corps during the Tyrol campaign 1809: Lusignan line regiment, Klagenfurt Landwehr, Jäger-Battalion No.9.

So the core of the force is done now. 3 line infantry, 2 skirmishers (3rd rank infantry), 1 light infantry and 2 to 3 Landwehr (Militia) units. Depending on whether I keep it proper and keep leaders, musicians and flag bearers out of the units or not.

Hope you like'em. :) From now on i'll add mostly "fun" units, leaders and of course deployment points. Now where did I put that coach...

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2020, 11:58:25 AM »
Righto, I started working on some Extras for my Austrian force here:

Artillerymen, a Vivandiere, and a priest.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »
Prolific output of well painted figures 👍
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2020, 12:03:40 PM »
Lovely as always. 

Who makes the "chaplain"?
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2020, 02:41:27 PM »
@Mindenbrush: Thanks very much. You summed up my mission statement pretty perfectly here. :D

@Gangleri: Cheers! He's from Black Hussar Miniatures. I got a whole bunch of "support" and "extras" figures from them; great stuff. I'm going to write a review of their stuff at some point in the future once I got them painted and find the time!

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2020, 07:37:55 AM »
Lovely collection! And don’t worry about the Jäger. You did all that can be done with these miniatures and more. You can’t beat the limits of the sculpts.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2020, 09:18:32 AM »
Did the Austrians have Vivandiere? (Who cares!) Looking forward to seeing these progress. It's a very appealing and attractive force.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2020, 11:03:56 AM »
@Warboss Nick: Thanks. :D I'm sure I could have done more, but in the end I just can't spend a ton of time on my own figures (even if I justify it be getting a review article out of them). I think they look OK enough now. I like the wonky little dudes actually.

@Shahbahraz: I'm pretty sure any army did from Kadesh up to pretty much the 20th century? I assume she would be called a Marketenderin rather than Vivandiere, but the function was the same. To this day the traditional rifle clubs (and choirs too IIRC) in Tyrol, Carinthia, etc. still got Marketenderinnen. Wives/young ladies in special costume, carrying a little barrel, going along with the traditional processions, etc.

I'm currently doing scenic shots of things for another project, and last night I took the opportunity to make an "army shot" of my Sharp Practice dudes:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2020_09/as1.jpg.dc11aa9df9043b9ea0bccf97cdbf35f5.jpg

See, I also did that thing where you doctor out the bases. I'm not quite sure if I like it or not. Last week I got the latest issue of WSS magazine, and I noticed that pictures in there to a very large degree have that now. Maybe it was just an anomaly or it's becoming more and more the norm for such promo shots. What do you think?

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2020, 11:59:46 AM »
Did the Austrians have Vivandiere? (Who cares!)

Just in case anyone does, yes they did.  There is one illustrated in the Osprey MAA on Austrian cavalry.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2020, 01:47:23 PM »
Very beautiful scene, they're ready to keep the French out of their beloved Carinthian towns and lake resorts!

Thanks also for the note on Black Hussar, though sadly they seem not to be able to ship to the US during the pandemic.  I am always on the lookout for clergymen to harangue my troops.