Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Wars of Ozz - Mass Fantasy Battle Retail Release  (Read 12377 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
[Commercial] Wars of Ozz - Mass Fantasy Battle Retail Release
« on: February 26, 2020, 12:18:25 PM »
This thread is for sharing news, photos and battle reports of Wars of Ozz, the 28mm Mass Fantasy Battle game from Old Glory.

The game world is based heavily on the original L. Frank Baum books, but with its own unique twist..
This is a totally new approach to mass fantasy battles combining 'Napoleonic' style infantry, cavalry and artillery with witches, wizards, giants, trolls and all manner of other fantastical creatures.

The  full range of miniatures includes Munckins, Quadlings, Winkies, Gilikins, Wizards, Witches, Giant Apes, Flying Apes, Hot Air Baloons, Cavalry on Giant Boars, Dire Creatures, Pumpkin Men, Scarecrows, Skeletons, Goat Riders, Tinmen, Giants and Trolls and much, much more.

www.warsofozz.com
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 11:49:11 AM by Chris Abbey »
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
  • Rules Author, Dealer In Antiquities, Mad Scientist
    • My Blog: One More Gaming Project
Re: Wars of Ozz - Mass Fantasy Battle
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 05:16:38 PM »
Well, we're off to see the Wizard!

If you're going to be attending Cold Wars in Lancaster PA next month, be sure to check out one of our demo games being held in the HAWKs room (Paradise meeting room) Friday night, and all day Saturday.

"I have wrought my simple plan,
if I give one hour's joy,
to the boy who's half a man,
or the man who's half a boy!"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 11:03:51 AM »
Today we take a look at the strange creatures serving King Jack.

Great Pumpkin Heads and Harvesters
Coming from the land of Harvest are the ferocious, dangerous, gigantic Great Pumpkins often accompanied by the lesser pumpkin heads known as Harvesters. These strange beings and other such creatures are a product of centuries of evolution and are led by the Lord of the Harvest, King Jack. They are loyal to any side that serves their purpose.

www.warsofozz

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 11:39:34 AM »
This all looks cool...but visited the site, see pics, but don’t see where any of this is actually available for purchase?? Just “coming soon”.

So is this just a pimp thread to create awareness?
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 11:43:56 AM »
Yes, creating awareness, letting people know what's coming and what the game is all about and giving folks the option to join the Facebook Group or subscribe to Newsletter from the page if they want to keep in the loop.

In the US there are participation games running at Cold Wars in March, in the UK Sally 4th should have painted units on display at Salute and looking to launch late spring / early summer if all goes well.

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
Re: [COMMERCIAL] Wars of Ozz - Mass Fantasy Battle
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 05:43:53 PM »
I recently finished painting the Munchkin regiment of Colonel Tictoc for our demo games at Cold Wars in March.

And am now currently working on a Munchkin regiment of Light Cavalry.  Painting these is certainly a horse of a different color!  :)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 10:56:17 AM »

Wars of Ozz Press Release 1:
Release Date: 2nd March 2020
Wars of Ozz is a 28mm Mass Fantasy Battle Game inspired by the ‘Oz’ series of books written by L. Frank Baum between 1900 and 1920. The inspirational literature has been greatly expanded by Russ Dunaway, to form a unique new fantasy gaming world to battle over, populated with Munchkins, Quadlings, Winkies and Gillikins combined with Witches, Wizards, Pumpkin Men, animated Scarecows and Tinmen, Giants, Trolls, Skeletons and much, much more.
The miniatures range has been designed, sculpted and manufactured by Old Glory and when fully released will include 60 packs of miniatures.

The ‘Wars of Oz’ rules are written by Buck Surdu, author of Gaslight and Combat Patrol among many more published works. The game is a mass battle rather than a skirmish game. Infantry units are 20 strong, mounted 4 to a base. Two or more units of Infantry, Cavalry or Artillery are formed into a Brigade and an Army is comprised of one or more Brigades. The game is designed to be played on a standard 6’ x 4’ wargames table, with a typical game reaching its conclusion in two to three hours. The rulebook covers the background and history of Ozz, army building, movement, melee, ranged combat, magic and morale together with points lists for tournament play, scenarios, maps, campaign and painting guides.

The plan is for Wars of Ozz to be launched via a four week Kickstarter in May 2020. Kickstarter backers will be sent a Playtest / Beta PDF version of the rules so that they can start playing straight away using proxies or miniatures from an initial limited release of 6 packs, released in advance to facilitate playtesting. Kickstarter pledges will be shipped 6 months after Kickstarter completion, at which time ‘Wars of Ozz’ will be made available as a general retail release. The Kickstarter will be run by Sally 4th who are also publishing the rules and distributing the miniature range under licence in the UK & Europe, in partnership with Old Glory who will be shipping to USA and the rest of the world.

www.warsofozz.com

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 12:00:57 PM »
A look at 'The Winkies'

The Winkies are a warlike and rugged people who originated from the Cold Barren Mountains and the great Black Forest to eventually settle in the plains just South of these regions. They are fiercely loyal to the sorceress Evanora who, along with her sister Elepheba, controls these regions.

The Winkies and the Gillkins are not the best of friends and have on many occasions engaged in armed conflict. Only the shaky alliance between the sisters Evanora and Elepheba keep the alliance together. They march into battle with spears only except for a few expert marksmen. These marksmen who have spent their lives hunting deep in the depths of the Black Forest are armed with crude fire arms and are few in number. Often times these marksmen can be seen emerging from the Black Forest with the pelts of the DireWolves, the Dire Lions, and even occasionally the pelt of the giant Dire Bear!

The Mounted Winkies ride the great Zilk (Killer Birds) and giant boars. The Winkie armies are led into battle by three great Winkie Warlords: 1. Zephaph the Skull Crusher, riding his great boar and carrying his oversized war club. 2. Zerde the Slasher, mounted on his Zilk with a sword in each hand. 3 Frotham the Terrible, with a great axe riding his Zilk.

www.warsofozz.com

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »
  The "Wars of Ozz" demo team ran two very successful games at last weekend's Cold Wars convention.  Friday night featured a WInkie and Gillikin Allied attack on a Munchkin village. Sacrificing large numbers to get a couple of their Brigades in a good striking position, the Winkies were able to crack the Munchkin center, ensuring their victory.

Saturday Afternoon was meeting engagement between a combined WInkie Gillikin force against an allied Munchkin and Quadling force.  Both side were tasked with getting as many units as possible within a foot of the enemy's home table edge.  A last minute dash by a unit of Winkie Zolk cavalry grabbed the victory again in another close game.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the games; and rules author, Buck Surdu, was able to get a good list of notes on aspects to tweak before the Kickstarter arrives in May.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 07:20:13 PM »
Nice work sharing your thoughts on the demo games. Was there a good balance of magic being used by players against their opponents during the game?

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 08:47:45 PM »
Nice work sharing your thoughts on the demo games. Was there a good balance of magic being used by players against their opponents during the game?

Cheers,

Helen

Helen-
   Thank!   We never introduced the magic rules to the players.  Being the first time we were introducing the rules to the public, we were trying to keep things to the base mechanics so as not to overwhelm them or us with getting a feel for how things work.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 12:12:23 AM »
Okay, thank you.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 05:00:01 AM »
Looks good fun, I can see myself getting some Munchkin armies on the go!! :)

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 04:34:10 PM »
I have enough systems already. But I can still see myself buying a few of these in the future. Just for fun  :D
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 04:36:00 PM »
This blog entry covering the recent Cold Wars convention contains a nice review of the rules from a guy who played in the Friday night demo game: 

https://misternizz.wordpress.com/2020/03/18/cold-wars-2020-the-show-the-people-the-aftermath/