Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:29:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A musing on showing the back of figures on manufacturer websites  (Read 4059 times)

Offline redrevuk

• Assistant
A musing on showing the back of figures on manufacturer websites
« on: February 26, 2020, 06:06:59 PM »
So maybe this is just me, but...

I notice that most figure manufacturers spend a lot of effort giving us views of their lovely toys from the front, and at one level this is only common sense. But I actually spend most of my time viewing my brave lead and plastic heroes from the back. I've been known to wander round to the other side of the table during pauses in the action just to get a sense of what my opponent is seeing. And whilst I'm very keen to impress or intimidate my opponents with the best face of my (hopefully) invincible hordes, it occurs to me that I might like to have an idea of what I (the guy who will spend the money and time prepping and painting) will be looking at for hours.

Do others agree? And could we use this forum to suggest to some manufacturers that rear view photos would be a good thing?

Or is it really just me?

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: A musing on showing the back of figures on manufacturer websites
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 06:39:43 PM »
As a painter I will sometimes show the back of a figure - if there's some funky detail or I've worked hard to get a nice texture on a cloak or such - and then sometimes I literally can't be bothered. It doubles the time spent taking the pictures, processing and posting them, so I'll often make the call not to bother and just show what I think is the best angle to show off the model. 
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 07:26:01 PM »
With the advent of computers, spinning figures are available,
though I get sea-sick watching them.
I do remember how frustrating lack of views of certain details can be.
I once wanted to know about ECW footwear, only to find that every
illustration I could find had the Pike & Musket men wading through tall grass!
On another occasion I could find no detail colour information for the backpacks
on my Napoleonic infantry, as you said,  'toys from the front'.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 08:57:10 PM »
I literally can't be bothered. It doubles the time spent taking the pictures, processing and posting them, so I'll often make the call not to bother and just show what I think is the best angle to show off the model.

This. In spades.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 08:58:10 PM »
As a painter I will sometimes show the back of a figure - if there's some funky detail or I've worked hard to get a nice texture on a cloak or such - and then sometimes I literally can't be bothered. It doubles the time spent taking the pictures, processing and posting them, so I'll often make the call not to bother and just show what I think is the best angle to show off the model.

Ditto. A unit is often worth the trouble but sometimes there's not that much to show from the ahem.... back side

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 10:16:49 PM »
When I take photographs (usually just of completed units), I do actually always take photos from behind, or from a rear angle - often if will make for a really good composition, and show off elements of the unit and its colours you wouldn't appreciate otherwise.

I'm not saying it's always necessary when taking pics of individual models, but for whole units I think it can be worth it.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 08:31:46 AM »
Metal and painted miniatures aside, a lot of plastic sprues on offer these days are usually displayed on both sides, so that certainly helps.

But I understand the OP's point. I've bought minis before that I thought would perfectly fit what I had in mind, only to find they required significant converting on the back because of features not visible on the seller's website.

Which is why I now usually search for the mini on the interwebs, looking at as many pictures as possible, so I can look at it from as many angles as possible :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 07:33:02 PM »
Likewise.

I used to show them in the round, but I noticed few others did, and it really was a waste of time as the backside is usually devoid of interest.

That said, some sites like GW and Privateer Press do do some 360 degree figure previews.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline redrevuk

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 08:46:14 PM »
Thanks for all those responses, I totally get the time and labour implications and wasn't trying to make work for anyone or otherwise 'have a go'.

But I'm still thinking that considering all the effort I put into those funky shield designs on my sub-Roman Britons, I spend most of my time looking at their drab off-white backs. So perhaps I need to make the paint job more interesting...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 09:41:02 PM »
Thanks for all those responses, I totally get the time and labour implications and wasn't trying to make work for anyone or otherwise 'have a go'.

But I'm still thinking that considering all the effort I put into those funky shield designs on my sub-Roman Britons, I spend most of my time looking at their drab off-white backs. So perhaps I need to make the paint job more interesting...

Not if you don't feel the urge. Just do what you do if it makes you happy- that's what the hobby is all about.  8)

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 09:53:56 PM »

No, that's cool, I don't think anyone thought that, it was an honest question. Funny enough, I've got a couple of figures on the desk now and one of them has the 'ideal' angle, that I think shows off the general pose of the model well, but then I'll have to photograph him from another angle to show the face full-on (it's a good face) and yet another angle to show the big swirly cloak that I've spent time putting a nice cloth texture on. But the sometimes you have a model where a single angle pretty much shows you what you're getting and the rear view doesn't add anything. Shields add another dimension, because you want to see the design, but often the shield is held in such a way that you can't see the shield and face at the same time. Then, as mentioned, you have miniatures with backpacks or webbing and want to see how that looks in a rear view.

Companies often struggle with time (not least of which because they tend to be one or two person operations), and the photographs are probably an arse-ache time-consuming job they'd rather not be doing when there's emails to reply to and orders to fill. I guess they need to make a call as well, whether any rear detail is worth the effort to show the back of a model.