Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:29:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686500
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Other dwarf miniatures that match the Oathmark aesthetic?  (Read 3909 times)

Offline EssarD

• Assistant
Other dwarf miniatures that match the Oathmark aesthetic?
« on: February 27, 2020, 06:52:01 AM »
Looking for other lines of dwarf miniatures that have a similar aesthetic to Oathmark dwarves. I'm not sure what I'd call it, but it feels a little stripped back, less busy, less exaggerated, more realistic/historical (clothing/equipment-wise)? Also, I love the idea of dwarves in cloaks and hoods, getting all rangery. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
Re: Other dwarf miniatures that match the Oathmark aesthetic?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 01:53:23 PM »
Oathmark metal dwarves are stylewise almost direct copy of good ol' Nick Lund Grenadier dwarfs, manufactured nowadays in Italy by Mirliton and in UK by eM4 Miniatures in plastic and metal. In North America they're available from Noble Knight Games and sometimes from eBay, too. Have bought from all mentioned, can recommend both the models and the services.

(Forlorn Hope Games, Battlezone Miniatures and Armorcast do not seem to carry the Nick Lund dwarf ranges, though they do sell or manufacture other ex-Grenadier fantasy figures or other dwarves.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 05:29:44 PM by Nordic1980s »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 03:40:32 PM »
Oathmark metal dwarves are stylewise almost direct copy of good ol' Nick Lund Grenadier dwarfs, manufacture nowadays in Italy by Mirliton and in UK by eM4 Miniatures in plastic and metal.

The Oathmark dwarf champions look to be a very good fit with the EM4 dwarves - quite possibly because both were designed by Mark Copplestone (imitating Nick Lund in the case of the EM4 ones). The EM4 dwarves are really good - and at 20p or so each, they're the cheapest miniatures on the market.

It's worth noting that the EM4 dwarves are now made in hard plastic that works well with polystyrene cement, so they're eminently convertible. I believe that this wasn't the case in the past, and there's a lot of stuff online saying that they need superglue or equivalent. They don't - polystyrene cement works as normal with them.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 04:04:57 PM »
Well, a 'copy' because the Grenadier plastic dwarves (and one metal character) were designed and sculpted by Mark Copplestone.
In fact I'm using the metals with the Grenadier plastics, just for the sake of nostalgia.  :D

edit: as Hobgoblin says. Didn't know  about the different kind of plastic! Must try some.

Dwarf on the left is the old Grenadier Dwarf Warchief by Copplestone

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:12:15 PM by area23 »
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 05:27:47 PM »
Dwarf on the left is the old Grenadier Dwarf Warchief by Copplestone

Oddly enough, Mirliton have him listed as 'Snorri Tryggvesson the Dragon Killer', but with a warhammer rather than an axe. Is yours a conversion? Great figure in any case!

Their dwarf handgunners look like they might be by Copplestone rather than Lund.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:18:12 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 06:28:39 PM »
Ah yeah, it's a conversion. Forgot to mention that.
Here's the original with his mates

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 06:44:41 PM »
Iirc (and we loved Fantasy Warriors at school and owned nearly the complete range), the plastic dwarfs were made by Mark Copplestone as well as a few champions (the ones with the circular bases) and the handgunners.

The rest of the range as well as the still brilliant orcs and goblins were designed by the great Nick Lund, who also wrote the rules (and the magnificent Killzone).

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 09:16:37 AM »
Their dwarf handgunners look like they might be by Copplestone rather than Lund.
Mirliton sells some pretty dodgy conversions too. I believe made by someone at Grenadier Inc. USA at the time.
The handguns on these dwarves are from the Fighting Men range while the dolly looks like a Copplestone dwarf but the details on torso and helmet aren't his style. See also the dwarf bombard crew. I remember Mirliton had another set too with variations of the Warchief but it seems they're discontinued.