Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nomads of The Time Stream - Michael Moorcock  (Read 5555 times)

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
Nomads of The Time Stream - Michael Moorcock
« on: February 27, 2020, 10:19:03 AM »
Dear Collective,

I'm reading the above collection of 3 stories and was wondering if there are any suitable figure ranges for

1) The main characters for skirmishing,
2) The airship fleets.

Or is it a matter of trawling existing ranges for suitable figures/fleets?

Also, any recommendations for airship rules?

Thanks everyone.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:21:03 AM by JohnDSD2 »

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
Re: Nomads of The Time Stream - Michael Moorcock
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 04:30:28 PM »
Not much idea for skirmishing but for aerial action:

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Aeronef/Rule%20Books.html

Or

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/ImperialSkies/index.html

are both available.

There was also a game called Leviathans. I have seen it on eBay at times. Not sure how easy it is to get the rules, or if it has a following. I do like the aesthetics though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 08:18:01 AM by Commander Roj »

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 04:31:29 PM »
Good choice, I love those books (must dig them out again soon!), and I have thought about collecting figures for them on and off before.

I may be misremembering as it's been a while, but I think any sort of high-Victorian, VSF or pulpy figures would do. Bastable remains fairly constant throughout the adventures, so a stiff backed mustachioed officer type would do for him. Many of the other characters from the wider Cornelius-verse seem to change their appearance from story to story, even down to skin tone in some instances.

Supporting characters would be mercenaries, air pirates and so on...?

I would recommend having a trawl through Artizan Designs' pulp figures, and of course Pulp Figures themselves, especially for air pirates. Copplestone will have some good ones too.

Again, I may be remembering wrongly, but the books take in a big chunk of time from circa 1900 (or was it 1920-ish...?) to about 1945, and encompass some alternate realities as well, so technology, weaponry and uniform styles etc are open to whatever floats your boat... Anything 1930s Back of Beyond style would probably work...

Basically, what I'm saying is a mix and match approach would probably be the best.

As for airship fleets, is Spartan Games still running? I seem to remember them having something similar to this...

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 05:51:13 PM »
Eureka Miniatures have not exactly what you asked for, but at least inspired by Moorcock:

Jerry Cornelius

https://www.eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=13168

As for skirmishing, I'd go for the recommendations of various pulp figures as suggested by Jolly Bob.  I've no experience with the airship side of things, other than to suggest something like the (now quite ancient) Cloudships of Mars!

Good luck with the project, please post photos as it progresses!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 09:43:15 PM »
My vague impression of the 'crew' was something akin to the RAFM Abney Park Airship Pirates. Been a long time since I read any, and not all, of Jerry Cornelius. I do recall him being portrayed wearing a broad pith helmet in a cartoon version.

If you're in the UK, you might be able to track down some Scheltrum figs; again, from my vague recollections of Moorcock's descriptions, there are many that could be useful. I haven't the knack for hunting them down from this side of briny more than a couple of times, though.

Only follow this link if you can keep your sense of humor when hearing a VSF v. Steampunk rant...

http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAF&Category_Code=ASP&view_perpage=30

Doug