Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:12:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Tale from the Tin Shed' Laffers choice (Steam Launch basic hull finished 3/03)  (Read 9021 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I really do work out how to build the model and what parts I need whilst sketching. Thats how I knew that the basic hull dolly could be knocked up from a single A3 sheet of grey board. Experience means I was pretty confident that an A5 piece of card cut into roughly 3mm wide strips would be enough to make decking planks .
So you just bomb through cutting 3mm strips until you run out of card..
The dolly is easy length(cant be more than the length of the card for speed.) The width is simply defined by the amount of figures bases I think will look right on it .So one either side and two in the middle.plus 5mm per base (allows for build detailing) and the  largest single figure base I'm likely to use.(25mm) so it's. 4 × 30mm.
The centre line is key to the speed of the build.
The bow and stern are marked out with at 1/2 template .then the deck hole is marked and cut.
The base is marked at 1" intervals along it's length.
Both shapes are  then cut out..
The deck plate is placed over the base plate and move backed to where it forms the bow slope. I draw round the bow and stern onto the base board.and mark the hole in the deck on the base plate.
The card rectangle cut from the deck is the glued onto its marked space on the base plate.
All the information required to build the deck supports has been marked onto the base plate.
So I just bomb out some 15mm high strips of card the width of the hull. Put them aside and add the deck strips starting with the rectangle on the base plate working both sides of the centre line.
Then assemble the supports starting around the deck hole base plate then the centre lines to the bow and stern finihing with the ribs and gluing on the deck plate.Thats literally an hour and a half.
Mind you I only put around half an hour more last night.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I managed sneak the rest of the basic hull in over lunch today ( Mrs would not be happy if she knew I'd been playing with super glue on the. Kitchen worktops .I only fitted them in February. Especially when I've a workshop.  lol)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
 very quick and good work :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Very, very cool

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Not yet .
But I've a cunning plan ;)

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
LOVE  :-* the motor launch man, and those sketches are amazing!!.....I would lose my mind over Kreuzenstein castle too!!!Was one of the castles from the Witcher series.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 07:27:43 AM by roadskare63 »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Damn that was quick!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Not so speedy of late,as real work keeps eating up my spare time.
But here's a little progress to muse over.

I  half expected the castle to be the favorite. I may still make it, or something very similar .tbh it's no were near as complicated as looks to make a Castle with this kind of architecture.As hoardings are much faster and easier than walls with out them.If you used a textured 'brick paper ' and dry brushed the hoardings(cardboard doesn't need undercoating) you could easily knock out a Warhammer fortress size castle in a day, and be gaming with it the next.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:10:56 PM by tin shed gamer »