Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:09:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690831
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 756
Total: 763

Recent

Author Topic: Saving Private 李秀英Li Xiu Ying (Empress PLA game)  (Read 6818 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Saving Private 李秀英Li Xiu Ying (Empress PLA game)
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2020, 07:47:15 AM »
I think you’ve captured the feel of Darwin, if not quite the architectural detail, perfectly. It’s the sort of place naval gunfire can only serve to improve.

Ironically the Port of Darwin is leased to the Chinese, a matter of great controversy amongst those ill-informed enough not to know that they own far more important bits of infrastructure.

Looks like it was fun. Needs more crocs though.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2020, 08:53:56 AM »
Bum I have crocs and forgot them.  :?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2020, 09:07:48 AM »
That’s OK the NT News will probably pick up on this thread and add scores of them. Man- eating 20 foot salties.

Now cos you deserve a reward for your efforts andprobably were deprived of this local delicacy from the eighties, enjoy the following. Whilst the rest is self-explanatory, it helps to know that Darwin was wiped out by Cyclone Tracy on Christmas Eve, 1974.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2020, 09:31:06 AM »
Some Rock-'n'-roll Gold there.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2020, 12:22:43 PM »
I think you’ve captured the feel of Darwin, if not quite the architectural detail, perfectly. It’s the sort of place naval gunfire can only serve to improve.

Laughed out loud! Sounds like where I grew up in the UK!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 12:24:04 AM »
super impressive.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 01:18:28 AM »
You should be so lucky...

...lucky lucky lucky....

:D

Cracking table Paul - very jealous
God please no!!!

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 04:14:59 PM »
Just what I need is more ideas for other possible conflicts! Been watching and no one else has asked so I gotta.

Did you use Danger Close rules? Any mods?

I know you state the germ of the idea was an alternate to Saving Private Ryan but where did the concept for a Sino invasion of Oz come from? Looking if you were reading some novel, a game, rules, etc..

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2020, 04:48:22 PM »
The rules used were Danger Close - we also tested the draft AFV rules (Danger Close is currently infantry only at present).

The idea for a Sino invasion of Australia goes back to the Empress Miniatures Kickstarter a while back which saw the release of PLA, Australians and USMC with a potential backdrop of WW3 in the Pacific (although the USMC and Australians doubled up nicely for games in Afghanistan etc.). We owned fully painted Chinese and Australian forces but had never actually gotten around to using them and thought it was about time. Paul was able to piece together the terrain from his vast collection (the last time I saw the port it was Loswithiel in Cornwall!). Paul supplied the surf boards and I contributed some kangaroos! With hindsight, as noted above, we should have had some crocs (although maybe Paul had some tucked away in secret but the appropriate Event Card never turned up!).

If you want a serious reason for an invasion, Australia has various natural resources that are potentially attractive to China (e.g. uranium). It is not a coincidence that US forces have trained with the Australian Army.

If you want a sillier reason for a game - an Australian School of Philosophy has been casting doubt on the merits of Confucianism!

Either way, it was something different to our more normal Middle Eastern or Eastern European games! I now have a hankering for a PLA vs USMC game over a Pacific island somewhere.... one day!  It may have to find its way between more ECW games (always my first love!), Jazz Age games in Afghanistan and, unsurprisingly, the Vietnam War which we are both working on at the moment with varying degrees of enthusiasm!

As noted in another thread... I can resist anything except temptation and most of us are wargames butterflies at heart! 

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 04:58:09 PM by Sparrow »

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »
Plus the chance for drop bears to be used......... but the card never came up to release them  :-[

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2020, 05:05:26 PM »
Event cards are huge fun - they really add to a game!

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2020, 05:23:10 PM »
Plus the chance for drop bears to be used......... but the card never came up to release them  :-[

OK what are drop bears? Also your site doesn't show anything for Danger Close rules. They are there but no ability to order. Are they being updated, printed, or?

Thank you for the answers.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2020, 05:30:54 PM »
Drop bears are Koalas - it refers to a “practical joke” which I understand was played on US forces by the Australians some time back. Others may know more about this?!?

I am not part of Empress Miniatures but the rules used to be a PDF download for a nominal sum. They are a double sided sheet of A4 that provide a suitable basic framework for a game. If you are “gentlemen wargamers” they work quite well.