Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:45:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690804
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Harambe Port inspiration - and critters 4/6/20  (Read 1622 times)

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Harambe Port inspiration - and critters 4/6/20
« on: March 06, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »
So, finally getting a better plan in place for my Slightly Cracked Colonials Africa games.  It all started when looking at my Disney World photos from last year and from the Animal Kingdom and the Port of Harambe in particular.  And I've decided I will need 5' of ocean front including a small port, 5' of navigable river, 5' of swamp, 5' of jungle, 12' of open plains, and - finally - 5' of hills and mountains.  All of this will run around a 5' x 12' table so 34' total of terrain.  The game will flow around the table from port to mountain which will be separated by a sheer cliff.  And I think I will place a painted backdrop down the center of the table to provide more depth and better separation between the varying elements.

I went from photos to a google map aerial view of the Animal Kingdom and the port and had an epiphany moment: I could 'unwrap' the river and use the bridge as a pier and the port side as, well, the port and the other side of the river as more coast.  Which led to more thought and, eventually, the plan above.

Haven't sorted rules yet but will need to be able to provide quite generous movement of at least 2' per turn and provide probably a 24 turn game.  While I figure 16 turns at 2' each will cover 34' which should go from port to mountain, still need to build in more turns to allow for local semi-statiionary actions before continuing along on the journey.  And keeping in mind this will be in 15 mm.

Probably build the ports and the river so they drop below table level.  No where near any photos yet.

But welcome input - especially if constructive.  Humorous perhaps also welcome?  ::)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:11:52 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Harambe Port inspiration
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 06:09:43 AM »
I think we are going to need to see some plans and sketches first. 8)

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 10:53:49 PM »
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Disney's+Animal+Kingdom+Theme+Park/@28.3580467,-81.5923014,194m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88dd81a33dfde1fd:0x3438044622233fbb!8m2!3d28.359719!4d-81.591313

Link to aerial view of area of inspiration (Hopefully).  Will have to do for the moment for any imagery - more later.  The area above the Starbucks is the bridge that becomes a stone pier.  To the left of the bridge is the river - the top bank of the river becomes the port and bottom bank of the river 'unfolds' to extend the shore line.  I know I am not the first person to take inspiration from Harambe for modeling.  And it is a point of inspiration, it will not be a careful recreation of what exists.  And all the rest builds from that starting point.

Of course, the river section can be inspired by Disney's Jungle Cruise!   
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:57:27 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 02:32:38 PM »
We were just there.  Busch Gardens is better
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »
 Smokey, why not use conventional rules and turn it into a mini campaign?

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 02:02:39 AM »
Damn it, someone really needs to make a face palm icon in that line above!

Just reread my post and I've listed 37' of stuff to fit in 34' of outer edge.  And I ain't even a math dolt.  Maybe I was just tired that day.  Could be.  Busy last three weeks helping area hospitals prepare for the 'great doom' of COVID 19.  Let's hope it has minimal impact in our neck of the woods.  California, 40 million people, got its shelter in place order last night.  Massive efforts underway to prepare.

I guess it is 'back to the drawing board' for my plan.  Maybe just 9' of the plains - that is the simplest fix and probably where I went wrong.  And since that will wrap around one end of the table based on current plans, I think that will work.

Stay smart, stay safe, stay healthy!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:53:45 PM by FifteensAway »

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Harambe Port inspiration - and critters 4/6/20
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 04:13:30 AM »

As images go, not much, just some primed animals.  But there are 48 baboons courtesy of a friend with a 3D printer.  And 96 alive and 4 dead African Cape Buffalo.  In 15 mm for anyone wondering.

Getting pushed forward by an online campaign for the locals who are stuck with social distancing for the duration.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 04:42:10 AM »
Is there a link for the 3D files? Baboons and Cape Buffalo sound good. I have a Taiwanese Water Buffalo but there are some minor differences.

As images go, not much, just some primed animals.  But there are 48 baboons courtesy of a friend with a 3D printer.  And 96 alive and 4 dead African Cape Buffalo.  In 15 mm for anyone wondering.

Getting pushed forward by an online campaign for the locals who are stuck with social distancing for the duration.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 05:04:22 AM »
Don't have the link and Gary, the 3D printer man, is in self-quarantine - due to hobby burnout rather than the virus, thankfully - or I'd ask him.  They are in three poses, two pretty similar.

The buffalo I had custom sculpted and cast.  You can try ordering from Highlander Studios (search cape buffalo) or, if in US, I can sell you some - bought a bunch of extra to sell to try and recoup at least some of the cost.  They are in metal.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 05:24:44 AM »
Thanks. With our current exchange rate, I'm not buying from the US.

Don't have the link and Gary, the 3D printer man, is in self-quarantine - due to hobby burnout rather than the virus, thankfully - or I'd ask him.  They are in three poses, two pretty similar.

The buffalo I had custom sculpted and cast.  You can try ordering from Highlander Studios (search cape buffalo) or, if in US, I can sell you some - bought a bunch of extra to sell to try and recoup at least some of the cost.  They are in metal.