Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:54:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Desert / NWF scenics  (Read 1576 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Desert / NWF scenics
« on: March 06, 2020, 09:03:45 PM »
hello
i've seen picts of those interesting piece of scenics that i could use for my Colonial Sahara or NWF wargame tabletop games...no mention of scale
so please i ask if somebody bought and tried them and they could be OK for 28mm Colonial wargame scenarios:
https://entoyment.co.uk/battlefield-in-a-box/bb566-badlands-tors-mars.html

many thanks

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Desert / NWF scenics
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 09:05:27 PM »
Hmmmm, I'm not really a fan for the NWF.

They do have a toy-ish look to them or maybe it's just the way they are painted?

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 09:29:17 PM »
I think they are meant for battles on Mars  :)

You might be better with these.

https://www.gamemat.eu/en/terrain/pre-painted-resin-terrain/badlands-set.html

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 11:55:45 PM »
hello
i've seen picts of those interesting piece of scenics that i could use for my Colonial Sahara or NWF wargame tabletop games...no mention of scale
so please i ask if somebody bought and tried them and they could be OK for 28mm Colonial wargame scenarios:
https://entoyment.co.uk/battlefield-in-a-box/bb566-badlands-tors-mars.html

many thanks

I think with sufficient dietary fibre you could produce something very similar, albeit more ephemeral in its nature.

Woodland scenics moulds or high density foam, plaster and/or cork bark would be my suggestion.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 04:38:21 AM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 12:11:49 AM »
I would look at photos of the real thing first and go from there. Those pillars of rock look very Wild West/sci-fi to me. :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 08:22:12 AM »
Unless you're planning to re-fight battles in Goblin valley USA Im not sure they are much use for historical gaming.

If you really want to use them they will be fine with 28mm as Gale Force Nine created them for 28mm sci-fi/ fantasy gaming

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »
I think with sufficient dietary fibre you could produce something very similar, albeit more ephemeral in its nature.

lol

Sorry, couldn't resist  :)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »
If you really want to use them they will be fine with 28mm as Gale Force Nine created them for 28mm sci-fi/ fantasy gaming

Thanks Diablo Jones and thanks for everyon's suggestions....in fact i was asking above all if they could have been compatible with 28mmm...as concern historical accuracy i think they are absolutly OK...mainly for desert games...certainly not for NWF but i will close and eye for that....my main interest is French Colonial..i already have quite a few tirailleurs, méharistes and touaregs tribesmen...according to drawings  from old books and from picts on the web they seem to fit well for Sahara or Sahel scenarions..the following one is from Ennedi region (Tchad)...in which a lot of fights took place. The only issue could be the price above all the postage fee..probably  the possibility of making something  acceptable and similar with foam could be studied...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 02:33:47 PM by italwars »

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 05:49:08 PM »
They'd certainly work for the Sahara / North Africa and so be prefect for your French. I've seen plenty of rock formations like that in Tunisia and Algeria

Less so for NWF, but would do for back of beyond as there are some very dry and windsculpted parts of the gobi/taklamakan / Tarim basin region and arid parts of NW China.