Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:15:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Quick question about Halfords spray primer  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Quick question about Halfords spray primer
« on: March 06, 2020, 10:33:55 PM »
I know a lot of people, like me, use cheap automobile spray primer on their figures, and the preferred shop is Halfords.

But which of their products do you actually use?

Until recently I was using their 'matt black' spray cans, which technically I don't think is a primer. Works fine.

But a while back they didn't have any, and I grudgingly bought their more expensive one - 'Bodyshop black primer', which is close to £10 a can.

But it does seem to be worth it - it dries very nicely matt, and dries quickly. But most importantly I've noticed that paint doesn't rub off it so easily. As in when handling whilst painting, before varnishing. I didn't truly realise this until I went back to the regular cheaper black spray these past few weeks, and the paint just rubbed straight off certain parts of the figure (the damned horse tails) if I even looked at it. (Only really an issue with metal figures though, not plastic.) So then I realised what people are talking about when they say you need REAL primer, not just any old model paint.

So the question is - when you guys all swear by the cheap and cheerful Halfords primer, are you actually talking about the £10 'bodyshop' cans, or the cheaper ones, which might not actually be primer? Have I been getting the wrong ones all this time, until now?

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
Re: Quick question about Halfords spray primer
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 09:19:45 AM »
So then I realised what people are talking about when they say you need REAL primer, not just any old model paint.

Sorry couldn't resist - https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/2009/01/painting-tips-3-primers.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:22:30 AM by vexillia »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 01:45:22 PM »
I use Halfords ultra matt camo brown. Provides a very nice surface for painting on, and the dark brown colour is a bit more forgiving than black. It’s true, it’s not a proper primer though. That said, I’ve never had the problem you describe, with it rubbing off metal or plastic figures during painting. It does not adhere well to resin though. All my WW2 resin AFVs, I’ve had to prime with brush on Humbrol enamel. That doesn’t shift once you’ve painted it on, but a/ it takes several hours to dry properly, and b/ it’s obviously labour intensive.

I guess a spray enamel primer would be the answer, although you’d still have the drying time issue.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 07:16:17 AM »
I’ve used the cheap and cheerful cans, white and black, for years and not noticed that problem, in fact I’m off to buy some today as I ran out last week. Perhaps I’ll splash out on  ‘proper’ primer as well (although at £2.50 extra that’s a whole new figure I could be missing out on!).

Let them dry for an hour or two before handling though.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 11:51:23 PM »
Halfords grey for me but I also have GW white and Halfords black.

Normally for figures I’ll use the grey but for vehicles and buildings the black is my go to paint.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 11:56:08 PM »
I’m a heretic; Vallejo black primer(after washing in detergent),and a zenithal spray of white. And after some poor outcomes with varnish I no longer varnish at all.Paint is still good after 6/7 years.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
Halfords Matt black spray it’s great also the camo brown as captain blood said is excellent, you can maybe see the detail a little better, and it’s a great base for flesh, reds and obviously other browns

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »
I use their grey auto primer.  It gives a very even coating and is a neutral colour to paint onto.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 04:56:15 PM »

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 06:17:20 PM »
I've been using the Rustoleum Matt Black picked up from Wickes. Lately though I think temperature or something is causing an issue. It seems to not be giving good coverage. It comes out as looking as though the figures have been given several washes of black paint. Which is fine for chainmail etc, but it's not ideal.

I tried another brand which was an ultra cheap can of matt black undercoat from a local hardware shop, and got the same effect. This was sprayed indoors in our dining room, which is heated, but not as much as the rest of the house unless we are entertaining.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 05:42:59 PM »
I use the Halfords grey primer. My daughter buys me a big spraycan at Christmas and it lasts for ages as I spray 50 miniatures at a time
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 12:46:30 PM »
I tend to use Halfords spray primer only on MDF and large resin items (I tend to stick with GW spray for figures and vehicles).

I have not tried the more expensive Halfords spray.

With the exception of the Fellowship of the Ring metals from way back and my Die Waffenkammer Comet I had no problem with GW sprays.

The Halfords white, grey and red primes find a lot of use for buildings, though I have taken to putting a light dusting of GW Corax White spray over Halfords white when the next application is Citadel Agrax Earthshade, to stop unsightly pooling.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 02:26:32 PM »
I've been using the Rustoleum Matt Black picked up from Wickes. Lately though I think temperature or something is causing an issue. It seems to not be giving good coverage. It comes out as looking as though the figures have been given several washes of black paint. Which is fine for chainmail etc, but it's not ideal.
I have had issues with Rustoleum Paint & Primner in that it doesn't adhere well to metals and lacks "tooth". On plastic it seems fine. :?

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 04:45:02 PM »
I have had issues with Rustoleum Paint & Primner in that it doesn't adhere well to metals and lacks "tooth". On plastic it seems fine. :?

Thanks, I've used it before, but that seems to match what I am seeing now. It actually is ok for the current batch of figures, but I am going to have to get a different spray or use my airbrush for the next lot.