Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:08:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bouncing canon ball  (Read 1510 times)

Offline William Bath 2

• Schoolboy
Bouncing canon ball
« on: March 07, 2020, 08:19:51 AM »
For war gaming purposes could a canon ball bounce or ricochet up a hill.

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
Re: Bouncing canon ball
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 11:41:17 AM »
I'd probably say no, if only because by making allowances to ground scale, where a single "model" might represent 10/20 actual men, the single polystyrene hill represents a series of different complex gradients and rises etc.

I think it would be possible to fire a cannon ball up hill and have it bounce, but only if the muzzle was aligned to the same gradient as the "hill", and ball would bounce if it landed on the summit.

I think for wargaming purposes being as battles rarely take place on golf course fairways it fair to abandon realism for the general feel or effect, being on an elevated and exposed position would make formed infantry easier targets for artillery, so maybe keep the "bounce" effect from the rules set even if that's not what's actually happening...

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 02:01:38 AM »
I'd say no. Also, any kind of stone wall or other solid obstacle or soft/boggy ground would also stop ricochet shots.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline William Bath 2

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 07:51:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies, the rules just say that the next unit behind the targeted unit gets hit. I recently played a game and the next unit behind the target was on a hill so it was hit.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 10:04:24 AM »
Thanks for the replies, the rules just say that the next unit behind the targeted unit gets hit. I recently played a game and the next unit behind the target was on a hill so it was hit.

In these situations i always say trust in the dice gods. 1-3 it smashing into the hill, 4-6 it skims the ground right into the next target.

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 01:28:28 PM »
I'd also say no.  A bouncing cannon ball needs to ricochet in order to bounce, and this would probably be very difficult to accomplish when firing at a hill.  It would more likely bury itself into the hill.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 03:39:30 PM »
I expect it requires the right circumstances to happen, but Mythbusters did (accidentally) prove that a cannonball can ricochet up a hill (and into a house beyond the hill). 

https://mythbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Cannonball_accident

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 04:46:53 PM »
Shot bouncing uphill is referenced in 'Edgehill the Battle Reinterpreted' by Alan, Turton and von Arni. Pages 81 - 82. You can see those pages online as samples in Google Books.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 08:46:42 PM »
I expect it requires the right circumstances to happen, but Mythbusters did (accidentally) prove that a cannonball can ricochet up a hill (and into a house beyond the hill). 

https://mythbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Cannonball_accident

Wow! Are they lucky no one got hurt!

Offline William Bath 2

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 09:14:40 AM »
One canon ball from the Mythbusters and one canon ball at Edgehill. But what about the any subsequent fire, my first choice for next game is a no and then if there is no agreement it will be as Flags posted 1-3 yes 4-6 no.