Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:15:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A March DUSTing.....  (Read 2486 times)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
A March DUSTing.....
« on: March 08, 2020, 04:42:39 PM »
Hi Guys,

Got some pictures of my first DUST game - part of our monthly game gathering here in St. Louis at local haunt Miniature Market. 

The game played fast, since it was almost all walkers vs. walkers, so we were able to get in a second round also, the last one reinforced with some Axis  Sturmgrenadiers (more infantry I'm hoping to have painted up for follow-on scenario's in the months ahead).

The 5 ft X 7ft. vinyl mat rolled out fast, with trees, tank traps added, and the 'objective' strongpoint as the scenario focal point -

One of the two Allied M2 platoons moving up on the left wing

The Axis had a mixed platoon of Panzerkampflauferen - 2 Ludwigs & 1 Luther walkers which were detailed to provide mobile support to the sector's strongpoint defense

Using the more covered approach on the right, the 2nd M2 platoon moves forward here

The right flank, with its woods cover, became the main attack route in both scenarios, and a well-populated armor graveyard amongst the pines and snow  8) 

A fun, quick game system!

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
Re: A March DUSTing.....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 12:19:48 AM »
That looks great fun. :D

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »
Who makes the games Mat? Looks great

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 01:48:10 PM »
Thank you guys!

The map is my custom-textured version of a Heroic Maps image I bought off of Wargame Vault (though the lineage to the original map is hardly recognizable now), it's available here -

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/156082/Heroic-Maps--Giant-Maps-East-Lynthorpe-Farm-Winter?manufacturers_id=5371

Originally, I made a smaller version for hosting a WW2 1/144th scale scenario on, pictured below (and thought a larger size version would work great for also doing Winter-DUSTing games).  I tried to configured the mat's printed terrain layout to provide a multitude of scenario encounters on it.   

OK, so more picture spamming  ;D - here's a few closeups a friend took during the DUST game last Saturday

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »
Thanks, looks really good!!

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 01:43:34 PM »
Looks really good :) :)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 01:17:48 PM »
Awesome stuff!
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 10:24:04 PM »
Well thanks Weird WWII!  :)

You've reminded me, that I need to start assembling a set of Warlord's Ruined Hamlet buildings for this collection, which will nestle nicely into the open area on this game mat.  These ruins will provide a nice defensive outpost to tie-in a new scenario to, for when I might get a Winter DUSTup game running again......that might not be until the snow starts falling for real!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 10:25:29 PM »
What, no infantry ?!?!

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »
Metternich, unfortunately just what I had already painted up beforehand for the game.

Btw, I have the Warlord Ruined Hamlet set now assembled (in the background below), but think the buildings will look too small for DUST scale figs (but plenty of 20mm WW2 to use with them instead).

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 04:42:45 PM »
I finished up the two sets of Warlord plastic ruins this weekend, and like how they turned out.   Pictured below are the two-story structures I could make from the kit parts, with enough wall sections remaining to make three other lower enclosures that aren't pictured. 

The walls fit up flat and flush at each corner, and so take some positioning while the glue sets up to hold them true (I used Superglue for all the joints). 

I'm a long time fan of resin buildings, and these plastic kits being two-sided and thick-walled, have the look along the lines of nicely-sculpted resin models.

With a little rock scatter around them, they'll be ready now to get into some action!