Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:26:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victorian RPG  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Victorian RPG
« on: March 08, 2020, 07:38:57 PM »
Can anyone recommend a Victorian RPG, preferably set from 1850 to 1900? I would like it to be amateur vampire hunters seeking out Dracula if such a game set exists? If not, maybe something that could be adapted. Thanks.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Victorian RPG
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 08:03:57 PM »
I seem to remember one called Vampire (or some such) but the pc’s were members of a coven and I don’t think there was an option for hunters. Only played it a couple times years and years ago.

Not much help I’m afraid  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 08:22:20 PM »
The savage worlds setting "rippers" could serve as a base, it definetly goes more into weird sience and the like, but easier to strip that out than leave it in right?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 08:22:51 PM »
I seem to remember one called Vampire (or some such) but the pc’s were members of a coven and I don’t think there was an option for hunters. Only played it a couple times years and years ago.

Vampire: The Masquerade.  ;)
There are two games for the same setting where players play as hunters, Hunter: the Reckoning and Hunter: the Vigil, although both are set in the "modern" era and would require extra work to set during the Victorian one.

Savage Worlds, as mentioned, could likely run the setting as it can be tailored to fit multiple different ones with varying degrees of ease. It's also usually pretty cheap.

Afraid I can't quite think up of anything else helpful.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 08:42:57 PM »
 You could perhaps mash Vampire up with a few of the Call of Cthulhu source books to get the Victorian flavour?

Funnily enough I recently found an entire box of Vampire: The Masquerade books in the loft.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 11:25:32 PM »
Savage Worlds "Rippers" is exactly the game you describe.  Recently revised with a shiny new version "Rippers Resurrected" but the original is still about. Both are excellent

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 11:31:56 PM »

Vampire: The Masquerade.  ;)
There are two games for the same setting where players play as hunters, Hunter: the Reckoning and Hunter: the Vigil, although both are set in the "modern" era and would require extra work to set during the Victorian one.

That's the one and I've remembered the Uzis we had. Definitely not Victorian  lol

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 11:44:11 PM »
Call of Cthulhu ? There were Victorian era supplements,Cthulhu by Gaslight I believe. Great system,you probably know that,man of your experience  ;)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 07:45:42 AM »
Many thanks for all your replies, most helpful. Trouble is, I want to buy all of the RPGs suggested!   :o

I think I will do a bit of research but I'm quite attracted to Cthulhu by Gaslight. There is also a 'Ripper' PDF scenario to go with it that sounds rather good.

Thanks all.   :)

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »
There's also Savage Gaslight by Battlefield Press. Has more fantasy races.
Or, there's the option of optimising one of your own with the core rules and the Horror companion.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 09:01:44 AM »
Or Judgment Day, which can be played in mediaeval, Victorian or modern times.

Offline Craig Oxbrow

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 08:52:39 PM »
Hunter: The Reckoning is for World Of Darkness, the same system and setting as Vampire: The Masquerade. It's pretty specifically modern, and the hunters are supernaturally powered. There's also The Hunters Hunted for playing hunters, powered or otherwise, using Vampire: The Masquerade as the core rules (with two editions for the first edition and Twentieth Anniversary edition rulebooks).

There is also the Victorian Age: Vampire subline for Vampire: The Masquerade Revised Edition, although it's very vampire-centric and still needs a rulebook from the main line.

Hunter: The Vigil is for Chronicles Of Darkness, the same system and setting as Vampire: The Requiem. (The two gamelines are related but not fully compatible. And Chronicles Of Darkness was first released as World Of Darkness after the original World Of Darkness was discontinued until its recent revival...) It might work as a basis for a historical game as it features smallish groups of hunters with or without powers, including an aristocratic monster-hunting country club, but would still take some work. (The first edition requires a Chronicles Of Darkness or pre-renaming World Of Darkness rulebook, but a Kickstarter fundraiser just finished for its second edition which doesn't. The basic mortal rules could also work for less well-equipped monster hunters.)

These all come from White Wolf and their licensing partners. There are free quickstart rules for several of these lines as well.

Other options include Cryptworld, based on the 80s monster-hunting RPG Chill, which focuses particularly on investigating threats and finding their weaknesses. It isn't specifically Victorian in setting, but not particularly tied to the modern era either.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 10:00:32 PM »
Now I feel a bit bad for posting this, I feel like Jules Hudson on "Escape to the Country", where the mystery house is just an excuse to go entirely outside the brief...

This isn't a game that is really designed for Vampire hunting, but it is a little-known Victorian RPG (that actually does have supernatural elements to it, though looking at the box you'd never guess). So it probably won't be of much interest to Mad Lord Snapcase, but it might be of interest to somebody...

Dark Continent
, an RPG of exploring in Africa. Fairly sure it is out of print now, but you may be able to pick it up somewhere. Being the Colonial Adventures moderator, I felt it my duty to procure a copy, so I really ought to bring it up whenever I can, otherwise it feels like I wasted my money.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 03:19:46 AM »
Sounds interesting, Plynkes.

-Michael

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 04:52:25 PM »
ss).....So it probably won't be of much interest to Mad Lord Snapcase, but it might be of interest to somebody...

Knowing the Mad Old Aristo, I would guess it probably will be of interest to him. Most things are. I’m confident he’ll be planning a campaign based on this in short order.

Doug