Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:32:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690674
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Keith's Interwar/WW1 Gubbins  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Keith's Interwar/WW1 Gubbins
« on: March 09, 2020, 08:56:37 AM »
(Hopefully) another running thread, kicking off with a couple of work-in-progress bits.

An Empress highlander for the Northwest Frontier and a Lanchester AC with a few mods (and a pass on the rivets). Sadly I'm probably most proud of the bucket! Just waiting for some suitable decals for an RNAS scheme to turn up in the post.

An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Keith's Interwar/WW1 Gubbins
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 09:51:47 AM »
Hi Keith, Lovely work on the painted highlander and the wip on the Lanchester. Looking forward in seeing the finish vehicle.

I've just finished a Rolls Royce armoured tourer for 1914 with commissioned RN crew, but I need to find some suitable decals to place "RN" in three spots. They need to be approx 8-9 mm in size. Do you have any recommendations please?

Thank you.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 10:13:23 AM »
Having painted my share of Jazz Age foreces I see some seriously impressive work there, both in regards to pj and super detailing. I have the white metal HLBS Lanchester, and it is quite lacking in detail (alright for gameplay though).

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 10:58:58 AM »

I've just finished a Rolls Royce armoured tourer for 1914 with commissioned RN crew, but I need to find some suitable decals to place "RN" in three spots. They need to be approx 8-9 mm in size. Do you have any recommendations please?

Helen

Hi Helen, and thankyou for your kind comments.
I've just ordered a heap of random decals sets, mostly lettering for pre-1946 aircraft codes for different nations. Some of them look very close in terms of font and, hopefully, they are actually the sizes stated on ebay :-)
Sorry I can't be more helpful I'm afraid - this could still be a failed experiment!

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 11:05:14 AM »
Brilliant! Fantastic painting!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 12:07:52 PM »
Brilliant painting Keith!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 01:45:51 PM »
Loving the attention to detail.(don't need to mention your colouring in as it speaks for itself)
I must admit there's something oddly satisfying about putting the bucket on the side of the Lanchester .I built most of this detailing a little chunkier to reliable cast (including the bucket) and to withstand being picked up by sausage fingers.
Are you not a little concerned about it being bounced around the table.As it's always that trade between what you can physically make and what is practical, or do you have a cunning plan?

As for details have either of you thought of using the older Edding transfers, or Lettraset(spelling?)
I think both are OP. But still relatively easy to track down.(Helen I was just about to reply to your PM but I found Kieths thread.seemed more useful)

Offline AndyG

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 02:19:11 PM »

Hi

You might want to try and get in touch with a Black Lion Decals.

I haven’t tried for s few years know but they certainly used to be willing to resize their 1/72nd or 1/35th scale decals and they do a WW1 British Armoured car set including decals for a RNAS Lanchester. They were really helpful to deal with and I got 1/56 sets for WW1 German and RCW armoured cars.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 02:46:50 PM »
All good ideas, thanks chaps :-)

As for table-top resiliance, actually most of what you see here is quite mightily fused together with a lot of epoxy etc. that's pretty well hidden. Once it's all bound together under a layer of primer I find it's usually more than strong enough for most use. Trick is to give the impression of fine detail while seriously backing everything up where you can. No so good for casting (but then again companies like Milicast do much finer, so I guess there's precedent).

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »
Shouldn't uploading pics of painted life-size mannequins be banned? And three-ups for that matter?

Incidentally, when will Empress release some English infantry for this range? The Copplestone WWI figures aren't really compatible.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 03:11:50 PM »
Good question ...  ;)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 04:33:01 PM »
Which one?

Offline jim100

• Assistant