Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:19:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scratch Building a High Fantasy Gaming Board  (Read 16654 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
Re: Scratch Building a High Fantasy Gaming Board
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2020, 10:54:59 AM »
Hello again!

Fear not, the project wasn't discarded nor forgotten!! It was actually a very busy week of virtual meetings and project deadlines, so not much was done. That being said, the fishes, statue and tree were completed and fixed in to place! One good thing from all this mess is that due to Cities standing still, there's almost no air pollution and we've had 10 days of straight blue skies!!! So I took that opportunity to take some pictures outside  :)

First up the fishes and statue:

The fishes are from Mantis Miniatures, based out of Poland and the Statue is part of a series of Roman Statues by Thomarillion based out of Germany, links here:

https://www.mantisminiatures.pl/EN/14,0,Animals.html

https://www.thomarillion.de/?page=artikel_detail&id=1042&origin=%3Fpage%3Dsearch%26q%3DSeven%26slide%3D0

Next up, the pictures taken outside:

Last piece of the puzzle is the water! My son said to me "Dad, I can't wait for you to do the water, it's either gonna make it legit cool or F the whole thing up......." thanks Son  lol

I revisited my Silicone technique as I wasn't happy with the first attempt. I made several thin lines of Mastic Silicone, but post drying, I realised that they were too thick, so I went back and again, laid out several thin lines onto film, then I placed a second film layer on top and rolled it flat, now I have a very thin sheet of Silicone which is perfect as the base layer for the Waterfall.

Lastly, here's the reference picture I will use as a guide for the Waterfall flowing down, note how the 'fall' itself is completely white. For the water in the pool itself, I don't think I'll go aquamarine/turquoise like the one in this picture as it'll hide all the details. perhaps I'll start with a thin murky layer and the build up some light blue/green layers and finish off with clear, let's see....

Wish me luck with the water, wouldn't want to F it up  ;)
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2020, 11:20:55 AM »
Amazing work.

jaw-dropping detail - so beautifully done.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2020, 11:57:55 AM »
just gorgeous :-* :-* :-*
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2020, 12:04:07 PM »
Love it  8)

Reminds me very much of Victorian Romanticism (which is no bad thing).

Interesting way of doing the water, I hope you manage to not F it up  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2020, 10:02:59 AM »
Absolutely fantastic.   :-* :-* :-*   Fingers crosssed on the water but I am sure you won't need it.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2020, 10:37:23 AM »
Amazing work.

jaw-dropping detail - so beautifully done.

Thank you kindly good Sir!

just gorgeous :-* :-* :-*

Vielen Dank!! I'm sure you'll agree that the Statue is a fantastic sculpt and worthy of many gaming tables  ;)

Love it  8)

Reminds me very much of Victorian Romanticism (which is no bad thing).

Interesting way of doing the water, I hope you manage to not F it up  lol

Funny you mention Victorian Romanticism.... my little daughter (7) whom is helping me with this project is really enjoying the background and content to an RPG called BLUE ROSE:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Rose_(role-playing_game)

And the setting for that is within a 'Romantic' backdrop. The initial idea for this board was High Fantasy, so I think we've achieved the desired outcome.

Regarding the silicone, it'll only be used to bridge the gap from the stream at the top, falling into the pool below. Gravity will not be kind to my project if I just poured the resin as it would either just trickle down the rock face and look like a bunch of damp rocks or sit at the top, so the Silicone is to be used as a foundation piece that'll be glued to the top portion and then again where the water would be meeting the rocks below. I'll use some clear gel and polyfiber to simulate the cascading white water, hence why I need the transparent silicone as a base to attach the polyfibre too.

Let's see how it all turns out!

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2020, 12:58:50 PM »
Alright, whilst I'm experimenting with either using Silicone, Vallejo Water Effects or Liqutex Gloss Gel to represent the waterfall, I made a start on the second board!

First thing was lining it up and sketching onto the surface very roughly where the features will go, such as the continuation of the slope and edge of the forest.

Next, it was time for the application of the compound, the base structure for the beginning of the slope and adding some rocks:

Then it was painted with watered down brown acrylic, the rocks were also painted using the same technique as the previous board and given some addition attention with pastels:

I'm not entirely happy with the rocks, so I'll go back and add some more colours for greater depth and variance. Next step will be to apply the ground layer of flocking to represent earth/mud ahead of building up the grass layers.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »
Cracking work King Arthur!
Unfortunately the fish I used are now under resin. I used the Northern Pike,in a suitable ambush position, and the two trout feeding upstream ie tails downstream.  Of course like real fish they can barely be seen,all that counter shading, however if you know what you're looking for :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2020, 01:23:56 PM »
Vallejo water effect is no good for making deep-ish water. It works for making rippled water texture as it has some viscosity. Unfortunately it dries with a satin sheen not gloss-clear.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2020, 07:57:14 AM »
Vallejo water effect is no good for making deep-ish water. It works for making rippled water texture as it has some viscosity. Unfortunately it dries with a satin sheen not gloss-clear.

Yes, Vallejo Water is quite bad actually, I have used it in on some 28mm bases in order to simulate some small puddles and it shrinks and basically vanishes over a short period of time. I wasn't planning on using it for the pool, I was experimenting with the 3 mediums I mentioned to see which outcome I liked best for the 'fall' and the Liquitex Gloss Gel is the winner over Vallejo Water and the mastic Silicone. Pictures inbound soon.

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2020, 03:35:37 PM »
You're a landscape artist!  :-*

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2020, 03:50:12 PM »
love this project - looks great

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2020, 07:18:19 PM »
You're a landscape artist!  :-*

You're too kind! Thank you  :)

love this project - looks great

Very happy to hear that you like it!! Scroll down for more  :D

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2020, 08:09:42 PM »
Back with an update  :)

I'll start by re-uploading the images from a previous post as they were too small to see clearly:

I started wotk on the second half of the board:

The first level of prep has been completed by way of building the base blocks for the continuation of the slope then the application of the Geek Gaming compound all over the board to act as the base surface ahead of the painting and flocking.

The next set of pictures I'll upload will show the flocking and the work on the slope area.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2020, 07:56:52 AM »
Hello all!

Progress on the second board half, some flocking has been done, I've laid the foundations for the grass area and where the forest edge will be, whilst adding in some plant life to the slope:

Next up are pictures of some of the materials I've been using on the build:

As you can see, there's a mixture of manufactured pieces but also lots of natural components, dried flowers are amazing for either representing small plants and foliage or for grinding down to use as ground cover or leaves on trees and bushes. I'm going to use some scenery pieces from a Dutch company called 'Martin Welberg' which you see pictured above, the product is of high quality and well detailed and I believe it will add some depth and 'realism' to the build, more to follow on that with the next round of pictures.

The last pictures are showing what I done with White, Rose and Fuchsia Icelandic Moss, all blended together and ready to be used as leaves on a Cherry Blossom type tree in the forest!

I hope you liked that latest update and stay tuned for more  :)