Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:33:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690718
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Australian Home Guard - '100 club' project from Eureka Miniatures  (Read 4949 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: 28mm Australian Home Guard - '100 club' project from Eureka Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 06:16:16 AM »
Thanks!  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 06:59:06 AM »
Trades Hall Militia? You know that the VTHC has a not so secret but devastating weapon?

It’s the Victorian Trade Union Choir, a group so unmusical, so tuneless and just so generally dire, it can make grown men cry. It’s certainly brought me close to tears on a number of occasions. Fuck only knows why they do’t deploy them against the bosses rather than the workers.

Think Cacofonix from the Asterix cartoons and dial it up to 11

We have something similar in the UK. The Portsmouth Symphonia.
Started by some musicians who wanted to be in an orchestra, but were
not nearly good enough. They have a rule that if you get up to a half
decent standard, you have to leave. I first saw them on a Candid Camera
type of show. The hidden cameras were covering the audience reaction.
They had no idea how bad the musicians were & were expecting the
usual high quality standard. Great fun watching their faces as the
 concert/train crash unfolded before them.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 07:24:34 AM »
Trades Hall Militia? You know that the VTHC has a not so secret but devastating weapon?

It’s the Victorian Trade Union Choir, a group so unmusical, so tuneless and just so generally dire, it can make grown men cry. It’s certainly brought me close to tears on a number of occasions. Fuck only knows why they do’t deploy them against the bosses rather than the workers.

Think Cacofonix from the Asterix cartoons and dial it up to 11.

Ah, the old Trades Hall choirs. Any volunteer organisation where willingness is the only measure for entry has to deal with the untalented and unmusical from time to time. But I have to admit, I'm quite a fan of belting out a round of Solidarity Forever while deep in the cups on Labour Day; but then what sort of Union Official would I be if I didn't? ;)

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 08:05:37 AM »
Ah, the old Trades Hall choirs. Any volunteer organisation where willingness is the only measure for entry has to deal with the untalented and unmusical from time to time. But I have to admit, I'm quite a fan of belting out a round of Solidarity Forever while deep in the cups on Labour Day; but then what sort of Union Official would I be if I didn't? ;)

One who works for the SDA?

No, that’s a trick answer, everyone knows the SDA isn’t a union, it’s a Catholic glee club.  lol

I can be inveigled into singing Solidarity Forever, The Red Flag or even Avanti Popolo (when in my local supermarket) with remarkable ease but I draw the line at having to listen to the VTUC. I blame a part-Welsh heritage but a collection of warbling grannies and tone deaf galoots hurts my sensibilities. I always try and position myself as far away as possible, which usually has the added benefit of being largely deaf to the public speaking abilities of cretins like John Setka.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2020, 10:49:02 PM »
One who works for the SDA?

No, that’s a trick answer, everyone knows the SDA isn’t a union, it’s a Catholic glee club.  lol

Haha, beat me to it ;)

I started my Union career (if you can call volunteer elected positions a career) in Tasmania, and the Tasmanian Grassroots Union Choir seems very similar to the VTUC. They highlight the fact they're 'non-audition', which should be adequate warning in itself  :D Hmm... I wonder if anyone does a 28mm choir?

Offline SirRoystonPapworth

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 07:34:53 PM »
I do hope this range goes ahead. I've told Nic to put me down for about 60 figures, hopefully enough others will follow my lead...

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 06:31:20 AM »
For anyone thinking about using these for an Orrstrayan Civil War, here’s some inspiration/ food for thought.

https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu.au/bitstream/1885/113889/2/b1576526X_Cathcart_Michael.pdf

Better yet, find yourself a copy of Cathcart’s Defending the National Tuckshop, which is an expansion of the thesis and contains quite a bit from the personal papers of those involved along with some great oral history.

Oddly enough, I used to work with Blamey’s great niece, which given we were both working at a bed of leftist subversion must have caused the old bastard to rotate in his grave. She had few kind words for her relative btw.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 07:14:34 AM »
Not many people did.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 11:58:57 PM »
Reminder all to get your orders in by the end of this month!

30 April is tomorrow for those of us in the Antipodes  ;)

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
Update from Nic at Eureka for those playing along at home!

100 Club 28mm Australian Home Guard project update:

With our attention being taken towards other pressing real life problems, we have allowed this project to get away from us. Consequently we are extending the deadline until the end of May.

The Pathe News newsreel which brought about this idea can be found here: https://www.britishpathe.com/video/on-guard-home-guard-aka-australian-home-guard/query/Malvern?fbclid=IwAR0VgYOz-YvnlrMtXH1Bk7QGcTIU4m1pX6fB_33s4k1On6RT8-cUSWH6Hwc
We can also now announce that our agents in the UK: (https://www.eurekaminuk.com/) and USA: (https://eurekaminusa.com/) can accept pre-orders for these figures, which will mean that postage will be much cheaper. Just send Nick and Rob an email and they should be able to help you.

The figures will be 28mm and sculpted by Kosta Heristanidis and will be perfect to fight against our forthcoming 28mm WW2 Japanese. Kosta has just brought us two snipers for you to have a sneak peek at.

Our proposed list is below, the number in brackets will be the number of variants. Price will be AUD$2.95 per figure (plus GST if purchased in Australia). The Vickers gun and two crew will be AUD$11 (plus GST if purchased in Australia).
1. Home Guard/Ex-diggers with Rifles (6)
2. Home Guard/Ex-digger Lewis Gun and Loader (2)
3. Home Guard/Ex-digger Vickers with crew (1)
4. Home Guard/Ex-diggers with beer bottle bombs (4)
5. Home Guard/Ex-diggers in hessian sack “ghillie” suits with rifles (4)

Please contact us by e-mail at nicr@eurekamin.com.au with your pre-orders. Our target is to reach AUD$3000 in order to complete the project. If we achieve over AUD$3000 we might "even scrounge up a ‘dummy’ tank". This offer is extended until 31 May 2020.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
Put my order in.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
Put my order in.

Me too! I'm down for:
  • 6x Home Guard/Ex-diggers with Rifles (6)
  • 2x Home Guard/Ex-digger Lewis Gun and Loader (2)
  • 1x Home Guard/Ex-digger Vickers with crew (1)
  • 4x Home Guard/Ex-diggers with beer bottle bombs (4)
  • 4x Home Guard/Ex-diggers in hessian sack “ghillie” suits with rifles (4)
That gives me a full Home Guard/Old Guard platoon for my Australian Civil War games, plus extra figures to round out my Trades Hall Militia  :)

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
Great minds think alike!

I’ll probably end up with the better part of two platoons worth. Some as LDV types with double service as New Guards and some  ‘reds’.  Have to work out how I’ll manufacture a 1930s stye Wimmera grain silo at some stage.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
I had previously thought about that. I was thinking of falling back on the old 'Milo/Nescafe' tin/Pringles Can combo?  Maybe even hit up the lads at Knights of Dice to see if they could do a handy conversion pack?

I've been saving photos of heritage town buildings to get ideas of what I could need to make a suitably Australian town, rather than just appearing as a generic Normandy battle.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
I reckon the Perry Miniatures/Renedra ACW buildings make good Aussie outback/country buildings. The latest one (ramshackle) is yet to grace our shores IIRC. There are some Aussie style windmills around too just can't remember the maker.

I had previously thought about that. I was thinking of falling back on the old 'Milo/Nescafe' tin/Pringles Can combo?  Maybe even hit up the lads at Knights of Dice to see if they could do a handy conversion pack?

I've been saving photos of heritage town buildings to get ideas of what I could need to make a suitably Australian town, rather than just appearing as a generic Normandy battle.