Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:08:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Planning for quarantine  (Read 12708 times)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Re: Planning for quarantine
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 09:30:39 AM »
I think I should be good for a few weeks. I have food.
The entire family has been having the sniffles for a few weeks, so we're going into self imposed quarantine for the coming week at least.
Wife is working from home.
I can't so, unfortunately, I'll have to pass my time with some hobbyíng.

We've just decided to make the best of it. Kids will be at home. No physical contact if not necessary with others.
I'll be taking care of the chores, so my wife can relax when she's off work.
In the mean time we'll be spending some extra quality time together. Play some games with the kids and do some hobbying with them as well. I'm glad we have a garden with a trampoline they love, so they can bounce of some energy every day.

I might not be able to work on the projects I would prefer, but I'm sure to get something done.
I'm keeping informed, but I'm not glued to the screen. That'll make you go mental at the moment.
Good luck everyone
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 10:06:20 AM »
I’m prepped.

120 figures based and primed.

:)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 11:46:01 AM »
We are all in new territory here, nobody really knows which strategy will work best, we can only trust our governments and follow instructions.

Ain't that the truth, each country is choosing its own coping strategy and they're all aiming for the same endgame - maximising healthcare resources on those who need it most and letting the rest get through to the summer. I'd say it's always healthy to question government policy, but I reckon in this case it's more beneficial for everyone to pull together so the various national strategies can work as well as possible.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 03:12:12 PM »
The Police here (Canary Islands) have started issuing their much loved "on the spot fines" to people caught ignoring the stay at home rule.
Roads are being blocked off (between urban centres) and you have to provide documentation as to why you are trying to leave your own locale and go to another:  Work contracts, proof of medical appointments etc. You cannot drive from one town to another to "go shopping" so the selfish idiots panic buying up all the dry and tinned foods are causing problems within individual villages.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2020, 04:48:38 AM »
Not so many restrictions here in BC... yet. My wife is an RN so she is giving me hard time about going to work but I work out doors and if there is more than 2 people at any stop that would be a crowd. ::)

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 05:51:21 AM »
Lots of angst down here in Australia - though nothing like what the Europeans and Asians have been getting.

I have enough miniatures, paints and indeed scale models to last a year's quarantine at least - with paint stripper for older figures I could push that out even further. So all up I think I'm fairly well placed. The only serious concerns are potentially plastic glue and of course black and white paints.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 07:01:59 AM »
Luckily I can work from home. I look after people in 7 different countries across the UK, Europe, Russia and a couple of 'Stans. I'm going to work flexibly whilst at home and check in regularly with them as we all have different situations workwise.

Hobby time will be important, my lead and plastic mountain will get eaten into. I think I have enough paint to last a while. Our club night has stopped so I'm looking to run a PBEM game or something similar and I'll be checking in with members and mates online, perhaps a bit more than usual. Staying in touch with friends will be important, some folk might struggle a bit, especially if they're on their own.

I was running an event in June which looks threatened now but I hope it gets pushed back instead of being cancelled - we will all need a lift by the time this thing is over.

Blogging will continue. And I'll get more of the sequel to the Sugar Islands Campaign, "Against Spain" done quicker. I might even get the next one after that done too 😁

Stay safe, stay in touch and keep the dice rolling.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 07:31:25 AM »
I work in a place with 400 people, working from home is not an option. But once we are in our workstations close contact could be avoided for most of my shift.  As I will have to be the one going out everyday, my main worry is bringing the virus home to the family.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:35:15 AM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 07:48:46 AM »
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 
Good luck to all.
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 11:09:44 AM »
I am able to work from home (albeit with reduced efficiency and unchanged workload).  Like most of us I have absolutely no prospect of running out of miniatures to paint anytime in the foreseeable future!

Although schools are for now still open my children's varied clubs and afterschool activities have generally been cancelled which will present opportunities for crafting and painting with them. When we do this I tend to have spend most of my time supervising rather than working on my own projects, but it is fun and of course it is part of the process of indoctrinating the next generation! 

These are worrying times and I hope you all stay healthy and do not suffer financially.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2020, 08:34:55 PM »
Not currently working so staying at home isn't an additional financial impact though finding new work seems unlikely for now.  It is doubtful my wife will return to work at the schools after the spring holiday but hopefully by early April.   I stocked up normal supplies a few weeks ago so all I had to do this month was a little running around for some of my older relatives.  Went shopping for fresh foods as is my normal habit yesterday as they have not closed stores here. It was a total zoo.   Looking forward to not leaving the house the rest of the week and getting some painting done.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 01:47:01 AM »
I won't be in lock down, being in the medical field but I assume there will be a period of time isolated through illness (heading into our winter down here) and not being allowed to work with any form of respiratory illness.
Even at this early stage here we have felt the impact with a niece and my older daughter having their jobs at risk due to the economic impacts. 
I'm hopeless with getting any painting done, so if I end up off work I will have to do lots of procrastinating.  Luckily I will not run out of supplies for that.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 02:45:50 AM »
I might be in a minority as this whole 'no school work at home' regime means that I will get less hobby time as the house is now filled with tweens and a working wife.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 08:44:03 AM »
So, self isolation day three isn't looking good. In the current environment I cannot go out due to an underlying health condition.

Food arrived via online delivery and it looked very little like what I ordered. Which is bad as I'm on a special diet, one in which I have kept my health condition very much in check. That looks like it's going to go out of the window.

I realise that there will be a lot of people in my position. A lot of people who are a tad desperate at present. I feel for you all.

I'm livid at the panic buyers. It's one thing that I refused to do on the grounds that it was immoral. It would deprive others.

However...... who would have thought our partially self isolating hobby (it's social too but I'm trying to block that for now!  :D ) would have slotted so perfectly into place? By the time we come out of this I expect to have done a serious amount of painting!  8)

Let's keep the community spirit of LAF going strong.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 09:17:56 AM »
It's very worrying times we are all living through and I hope the best for you all. As Atheling says there are some advantages (look for those silver linings people!) and whilst I am largely working whilst I am home I am hoping to crack on with some long stalled projects and make a significant debt into the lead pile.

Stay safe everyone thoughts with everyone, in particular anyone with underlying medical conditions, and also those with their own businesses or who's livelihood will be affected by this enforced period of inactivity . I look forward to seeing everyone having a productive period hobby wise. The wisdom and talent on show at LAF is always a great source of inspiration to me and will help a lot with the isolation!