Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:57:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Planning for quarantine  (Read 12560 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Planning for quarantine
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2020, 01:29:38 PM »
I feel for you, and for the thousands of other small businesses gasping for breath everywhere.

I say old chap, in light of current events, a better turn of phrase may have been more appropriate.

:o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2020, 01:38:23 PM »
Folks,

I appreciate that we are all more or less apprehensive about this whole situation, and it's quite alright so far, but please keep focused on the hobby aspects as far as possible.

The "no politics, no current affairs, no religion" stipulations still apply, and please don't make me re-adjust my leniency level. The whole situation is bad enough as it is right now without posting alarmist general news tidbits that are of no immediate relevance - there are other outlets for that.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:44:41 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 01:57:53 PM »
Come on man, we are a community and these are unprecedented times. The ability to show a bit of support for one another, confined completely within one thread, shouldn’t be stretching your “leniency”. What are you, some kind of Mega City Judge? I understand the forum rules and why they’re there but there exists such a thing as nuance at certain times.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2020, 02:04:36 PM »
That'll be the last words spoken on earth as mankind fades to extinction...

"MODERATED!!!"

:'(

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2020, 02:49:49 PM »
Come on man, we are a community and these are unprecedented times. The ability to show a bit of support for one another, confined completely within one thread, shouldn’t be stretching your “leniency”. What are you, some kind of Mega City Judge? I understand the forum rules and why they’re there but there exists such a thing as nuance at certain times.

In this particular case, I just fail to see how HRH's affliction with the virus is relevant to our interest, as compared to Antonio's very real and pressing plight which is well within the scope of this thread.

Just keep it confined to the forum and within reasonable parametres.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:51:28 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2020, 03:14:53 PM »
I am autistic and usually spend much of the day alone while the kids are at school; even a trip out to the shops can be mentally exhausting. So my mental capacity for hobby time is rapidly dwindling...once the kids are in bed it seems to be taking me at least an hour to settle down and chill enough to do anything, if at all.

I am in a bit of a similar situation (not as bad as you by the ways it sounds). With everyone home I am exhausted by the end of the day. I have been taking the odd paint break in the morning before everyone gets too busy. I have tons of books but I can't focus to read and I have been trying to build up some energy by playing Hearthstone Battlegrounds and tuning everyone out.

I hope you find a way to build up some energy during the day and keep yourself on an even keel

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2020, 03:46:03 PM »
In this particular case, I just fail to see how HRH's affliction with the virus is relevant to our interest, as compared to Antonio's very real and pressing plight which is well within the scope of this thread.

Just keep it confined to the forum and within reasonable parametres.

Fair, and I agree. I took your post as meaning all of that prior discussion including Antonio’s post.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2020, 06:11:22 PM »

Just keep it confined to the forum and within reasonable parameters.

My thinking is along the lines of the over 70s, who to be fair, could be excused for thinking they've been written off in these plague infected times. If someone as old, and as high profile, as HRH can lick this thing, it'll provide hope for all us old 'uns.

:)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2020, 04:08:20 AM »
I say old chap, in light of current events, a better turn of phrase may have been more appropriate.

:o

Good point. I hope the sentiments will be taken at their intended worth, not as clumsily expressed.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2020, 07:42:51 AM »
Good point. I hope the sentiments will be taken at their intended worth, not as clumsily expressed.

They were, at least as far as I am concerned.

Besides, I appreciate the sympathy manifested by everybody. It helps to vent some steam and know that you are not considered a grown up crybaby!

Best

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2020, 01:44:00 PM »
I am in a bit of a similar situation (not as bad as you by the ways it sounds). With everyone home I am exhausted by the end of the day. I have been taking the odd paint break in the morning before everyone gets too busy. I have tons of books but I can't focus to read and I have been trying to build up some energy by playing Hearthstone Battlegrounds and tuning everyone out.

I hope you find a way to build up some energy during the day and keep yourself on an even keel

Thanks pixelgeek, you too. It's definitely worse having two young kids in the house (6 and 8), don't get me wrong I love them but wow they are already starting to bounce off the walls and we are only a few days into lock down here. It doesn't help that the school work we get tends to arrive between 9pm and 10pm so it turns up just when I am starting to chill a bit. All I managed to do last night was clip a few bits of their frames and pop them in a baggy...hopefully I can start gluing them together tonight...
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2020, 08:13:23 AM »
Still at home with a stupid little cough in the Netherlands. Not getting nearly as much hobbying done as I'd hoped.
Still not going mental, thankfully. I feel I can make myself useful doing chores, helping the kids with schoolwork and making sure the missus can relax when she's done with working from home.
It's not a full time job, so I get to relax as well. Some computergames, my mates and I will be starting a d&d campaign on discord.
I'd love to play a war or boardgame, but I don't feel as isolated as it could be which is good.
I'm just a bit anxious. The news gets me edgy, but I don't feel like I can ignore it completly.

Just very grateful we have the internet. Allowing people to still keep in touch. Support one another and get your mind off things.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2020, 09:16:52 AM »
Got to laugh, to be fair. if I've been asked once 'how are you coping', I've been asked a thousand times. Well I'm not, I've been living this lifestyle for nearly three years now, it's not known as 'coping', it's known as getting yer life back!
Enforced on many, I know, but don't 'cope'...
enjoy the moment best you can, going back to work for you lot is inevitable!

:P

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2020, 10:05:16 AM »
It's have been eight days since the quarantine was declared in Spain. I am mentally exhausted. Not by being confined, that is the lesser of my worries, but for the uncertainty about the economy. I know some people will think I am selfish by being worried for my business in the middle of a pandemic, but the truth is that I am rapidly becoming broke. I have loans that I won't be able to pay -my partner and I were planning on sales to meet our payments-; and those loans were taken using our income and house (my business partner's, as I have no property) as collateral. We already default in March, and April will default too. One of the worst things is that in one of the loans we were five months shy of paying it in full. I can't sleep if I don't take sleeping pills...

The worst part is the impotence. I don't know what to do to make the business viable. I try to work through our website, but sales are stagnated. People fear for their jobs, their income, their future. They are not predisposed to spend money on such luxury items like action figures and toys.

I haven't felt so mentally exhausted since my wife died eleven years ago.

I really feel for you Antonio. I live near Malaga in the campo and it all seems a bit surreal - completely peaceful outside (no planes flying, very few cars passing on the road that's about a kilometre from our house) whilst I know that in a Malaga hospital one of my friends is a nurse at the region's hub hospital for Covid-19 and she's more tired by the day.

What does your shop sell? What's the web address?

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2020, 02:54:45 PM »
I really feel for you Antonio. I live near Malaga in the campo and it all seems a bit surreal - completely peaceful outside (no planes flying, very few cars passing on the road that's about a kilometre from our house) whilst I know that in a Malaga hospital one of my friends is a nurse at the region's hub hospital for Covid-19 and she's more tired by the day.

What does your shop sell? What's the web address?

Imagine how it is in Madrid, where you are used to the noise of traffic, people and then... silence. It's one of those things that is unimaginable, and yet... Mind that I feel lucky: my younger brother and my daughter got the Covid-19, but with relatively mild symptoms (although my daughter lost her sense of smell and taste for a few days) and they are recovered now. And so far none else in my family has been sick (you read cases like those of that little 16 y.o French girl that died yesterday from the virus and then everything is put in perspective)

My shop is especialized in Action Figures, collectibles mostly. It is not the best of times for businesses like that. As I said: people has other worries. Hopefully, I've managed to negotiate with the Banks a couple of the most pressing payments -they have moved it to June 30th- and I am trying to get a new loan to cover all of the rest and get some assets for the moment the quarantine lifts.

We are living interesting times, my friend. Stay safe.