Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:50:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685058
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Planning for quarantine  (Read 12510 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: Planning for quarantine
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2020, 02:28:37 AM »
You ever going to finish that Aeronef?

;D
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline galvinm

• Bookworm
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2020, 03:55:58 AM »
Stay safe Y'all. Here in the South of the USA, things have not been too bad. We are self Isolating, which is not a problem for a retired son of a gun like me. The wife works at the Post Office, so I worry about her, being out and dealing with the public everyday.

A word of advice for parents with young'uns. Play games for an hour or two with the understanding that the kids have to entertain themselves for a couple of hours. Chores will work wonders. They will not mind if they are bored. Make it worth their while to do them.

Was supposed to visit my oldest and Granddaughter for a week or 10 days starting yesterday. Had to cancel in case they decide to start closing borders. Cannot risk leaving the wife alone for what could end up being months. This has been the toughest part. They live 4 hours away, and we usually visit every 2 weeks. It has already been over a month, and I am feeling the withdrawal symptoms. Being a Grandfather is absolutely the best job in the world. It helps when you and your Granddaughter are best friends. I am the only one she listens to ALL THE TIME. Maybe why Mom likes me to visit. The only time her bedroom and playroom get cleaned is when I visit. Youngest lives about 15 minutes North of us and we take turns visiting. Got a BBQ planned for next weekend. She is in the medical field, so is still at work. Worry about her also.

We live out in the country on 5 acres of what used to be farmland, so there is plenty of area for me to go out and enjoy nature without running into anyone. Always makes me feel refreshed and a lot less anxious about all that is going on.

Stay safe and try not to worry, there is not really a lot an individual can do, but try to be careful. Good luck to all of you. Stay safe and healthy. Want to see more magnificent paint jobs from Y'all to keep me inspired.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2020, 04:02:35 AM »
For me, life is carrying on almost as normal. As I am a farrier I continue to work as amimal welfare is considered an essential service here so my life has not changed to much. We are behind Europe by about a week though and my wife is an RN so there is a sense in our house that we are waiting for a tidal wave to hit.  :-I

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2020, 05:03:59 AM »
Similar state here; I cook for about 25 people outside of town(30kms),so hopefully reasonably isolated except for the shopping...and as such still ‘work’ in NSW.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2020, 08:01:42 AM »
I failed to plan adequately, and with Warbases closing operations, I am going to run out of Sabot bases for my 1745 figures. I am also concerned about supplies of black undercoat. So I am going to try and get out later on to a local small hardware store. 

My biggest issue is that my partner is working form home, and she seems to think that enforced idleness is best treated with housework and home improvement.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2020, 08:20:37 AM »
I've gone back to my 28mm 8th Army and Afrika Korps project. I've got a Platoon for both sides, they're painted to a very basic standard and a tad battle worn. I'm going to tickle 'em up a bit and re-varnish. Then I'll add a couple of HMGs and mortars.
Plague permitting, they'll be ready for action at the end of the week.

:?
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2020, 09:17:24 AM »
Imagine how it is in Madrid, where you are used to the noise of traffic, people and then... silence. It's one of those things that is unimaginable, and yet... Mind that I feel lucky: my younger brother and my daughter got the Covid-19, but with relatively mild symptoms (although my daughter lost her sense of smell and taste for a few days) and they are recovered now. And so far none else in my family has been sick (you read cases like those of that little 16 y.o French girl that died yesterday from the virus and then everything is put in perspective)

My shop is especialized in Action Figures, collectibles mostly. It is not the best of times for businesses like that. As I said: people has other worries. Hopefully, I've managed to negotiate with the Banks a couple of the most pressing payments -they have moved it to June 30th- and I am trying to get a new loan to cover all of the rest and get some assets for the moment the quarantine lifts.

We are living interesting times, my friend. Stay safe.

I've read that loss of sense of smell / taste are a symptom if the patient is otherwise asymptomatic - I suspect they are very closely linked (I used to work for a wine importer and when you taste wine the reason you see them swirling the wine in the glass and then sticking their nose in is that your sense of smell contributes hugely to what you can actually taste).

My friend, the nurse, sent me a video she shot whilst walking to work - Paseo Larios, the main shopping street in central Malaga, completely deserted. She also told me she'd had people shouting at her from their balconies - "F*** off home and stop spreading infection." Obviously she doesn't wear her scrubs in the street! Down here we've been pretty lucky - the weather has been cold, wet and grey since the lockdown started so there's not been much temptation to go out even if you could.

We don't get deliveries by the Correus here at home, so no mail order for me - the only hobby stuff I've bought was large order of Too Fat Lardies Specials via PDF (they're at 20% off at the moment).

I've been doing all the little jobs that need doing around the house - and I've been making a list of all the things I need to buy, or get done when the lockdown is lifted; a new watchstrap as my old one broke, frames for some posters for my study, a haircut for my dogs (and probably for me by the time this is over) etc etc - I'm sure the list is just going to get longer and it's all going to be purchases from local small shops.

I did read that civil servants sent home are still getting paid 100% of their salary which irked me a bit (at least I think that's what it said - sometimes my Spanish lets me down a bit) - either they should be obliged to work extra hours unpaid to make up the time when they return to work, or they should be on 80% like everyone else at this time of crisis.

As for hobby stuff - I'm sure I'll need new brushes and various odds and ends. This year I'd already vowed to make a dent in my leadpile - and I'm actually doing it for once!

Good luck with your business, and I hope you and your family stay safe. I suspect you may find that there is a bit more pent up demand and goodwill around than you think - at least i hope that's true!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2020, 12:40:26 AM »
We're really in trouble in our pokey little seaside resort. Not only do we have to face the plague on venturing out, but now have to run the risk of attack seagulls trying to devour us!!!!

:o

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »
We're really in trouble in our pokey little seaside resort. Not only do we have to face the plague on venturing out, but now have to run the risk of attack seagulls trying to devour us!!!!

I lived in St Leonards for a year about 30 years ago - I seem to remember that was a constant challenge then! I did very much enjoy being able to look out of my window and see the sea, though.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »

I remember the coastal gull problem from living in Torquay (Southwest UK harbour resort) for many years.
Bloody idiot tourists feeding them scraps all day, everyday, created a problem and attacks were commonplace. They are big birds and hit with some force if you refuse to abandon your food.
In all honesty if the lockdown leads to an unplanned cull in the numbers that would not be a bad thing.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »
I do remember a plan to give the seagulls contraception to stop them breeding, but they had trouble rolling them on.

My daughter's upcoming birthday and an inability to get out to shop has forced a small direction change in my hobby activity this week. Instead of getting to work on the 'work shelf' of Oldhammer goodies, I'm planning how to make a Barbie wardrobe from the scrap bit of balsa wood and dowel I have lying about. I could make coat-hangers from some bits of wire too. I'm not going to lie, I'm actually pretty excited about it.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2020, 11:07:26 AM »
In all honesty if the lockdown leads to an unplanned cull in the numbers that would not be a bad thing.

The Council's sent out a warning that due to their being no tourists to feed 'em, the shitehawks may become very aggressive! In all honesty, at the moment I reckon getting nobbled by a seagull's the least of our problems!!!

Hope they appeal to responsible ( ::)) members of the public to come forward, form a posse and shoot 'em all!

:)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2020, 02:55:18 PM »

Instead of getting to work on the 'work shelf' of Oldhammer goodies, I'm planning how to make a Barbie wardrobe from the scrap bit of balsa wood and dowel I have lying about. I could make coat-hangers from some bits of wire too. I'm not going to lie, I'm actually pretty excited about it.

Sounds like a wonderful idea. Send pics once it is completed.  :D

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2020, 08:21:24 PM »
The Council's sent out a warning that due to their being no tourists to feed 'em, the shitehawks may become very aggressive! In all honesty, at the moment I reckon getting nobbled by a seagull's the least of our problems!!!

Hope they appeal to responsible ( ::)) members of the public to come forward, form a posse and shoot 'em all!

:)
European Herring Gull, amazing and beautiful birds,they have adapted to  a disrupted environment where there are less fish.
On other matters; I'm expecting a huge Soviet era jet to convert into an Aerodyne (Albedo),a Hasegawa kit to should be simple  :)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2020, 02:39:53 AM »
Well.. I never expected that my life would resemble the opening of every post apocalyptic/ zombie movie. Here in Greece the situation is abit better, it seems that for the first time we planned ahead and took measures before things get out of hand. People understood the severity of the situation and the phenomena of the natural greek rebelliousness were kept to a bare minimum. The situation even before the virus resembled a financial wasteland due to the punitive austerity measures, and alot of the major challenges stem from that cause since large cut backs were imposed to the health care system. Most of the infected people were from the countryside not major cities as one would expect. That happened because many peripheral public hospitals and healthcare centers were closed down, or are so understaffed that people had to drive across regions, thus spreading the disease. Everybody understands that the system is running on fumes so generally people try not to be in the way.

In my family there was abit of a rough time. My father developed a raspy voice for over a month just before all this madness. He was diagnosed with leukoplakia on his vocal cords and this had to be surgically removed. The operation was simple the hard part was that it can be an indication for throat cancer so a biopsy was in order. My father is 67 years old but he is very strong physically and looks at least 15 years younger, so this was a shock. We barely managed to schedule the operation for the last day before the closing down of the surgeries. I wont lie the whole thing was stressful, my dad played cool but we were all worried and the outbreak of the virus made everything worse. The good thing is that the operation went smoothly and the biopsy results were negative.
Im a graphic designer so i can work from home, although the market is frozen now. My guess is that this will change as more people will need online campaigns and advertising material.

Hobby wise im spending my time by molding via trial and error my sculpts. I have also a very big stack of scalle models and a few armies to finish. Generally i have squirreled away all those years enough hobby and art supplies to last me for a nuclear winter  lol

I want to wish all the best to everybody here, stay safe, thats the most important thing. My grandfather who went through wwii, a civil war, a dictatorship and several financial crisis, always said, health is the most important thing, all the other can be fixed/rebuilt.