Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:31:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686641
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Minimum Range For Mortars and Artillery  (Read 12815 times)

Offline Grimnir

• Assistant
Re: Minimum Range For Mortars and Artillery
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 05:25:30 PM »
If you miss a point blank shot you should extend the line of fire to ruler length (or whatever) and determine forward deviation from that point. An artillery projectile flies in a ballistic curve and it cannot hit level ground below minimum range.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 07:21:39 AM »
Ah, finally Grimnir wakes up.  :)
What I meant was that you deviate from the point that you actually tried to hit - but missed -  and rightly in a straight line away from the gun. I dont want the shells come short or back to the gun.
Iam not sure but I think twrchtrwyth meant the same.
, ,

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 01:02:21 PM »
Ah, finally Grimnir wakes up.  :)
What I meant was that you deviate from the point that you actually tried to hit - but missed -  and rightly in a straight line away from the gun. I dont want the shells come short or back to the gun.
Iam not sure but I think twrchtrwyth meant the same.
Almost, but that it could deviate to the side by only a small degree. Think of a cone in front of the gun, thin end touching the barrel.

I think your idea is a lot easier though, just having forward deviation, it's much more playable.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 01:06:31 PM by twrchtrwyth »
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Grimnir

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »
Ah, finally Grimnir wakes up.
What should I do, when I am deemed unworthy to get feedback to my email even though it was you who asked me for suggestions :P

If you calculate deviation from the target below minimum range it would make shooting below minimum range even more predictable than shooting beyond minimum range. Remember that the small calibre artillery in WW1 was usually withdrawn when the enemy came close and the defense was left to rifles and HMGs. The risk of capture was much higher than the possible benefit of shooting at such short distance.
Therefore I think that shooting below minumum range should be punished in some way. Combined forces are about "division of labour". Artillery is a long-range anti-infantry weapon. MGs do the job at short-range. It encourages tactical playing.

In my understanding a deviated hit is a ground hit. A projectile cannot hit the ground at any point below minumum range, unless
a) propulsive force or
b) gravity change.
Unlikely to happen. So the only two options for deviation are
a) the projectile frontally hits another target. It directly hits that target. Any miss - even a near miss - would result in option b)
b) the projectile continues its flight on its ballistic curve and hits the ground when the minimum range is reached. In order to prevent power gaming the projectile should deviate from that point.

Personally I think that a procedure of a) and b) is too complicated. Therefore I would simply it: Either you hit the target directly below minimum range or the projectile misses and hits the ground at minimum range+deviation.

Note that artillery was used at short distance in earlier eras (e.g. canisters in Napoleonic times). However, with improvement of military technology the  artillery became capable of shooting at longer distances but also less suitable for shorter distances.

And finally a bit of humor. Citing 'The Creation of the Army':
And the Lord looked upon the INFANTRY and smiled, and forgave them, for he understood that of which they spoke. THEY WERE INFANTRY, BY GOD! and the Artillery were, after all, only bloody Gunners.

;)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:22:01 PM by Grimnir »

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 06:43:13 AM »
I think minimum range is an important thing. The mortar is a strong weapon, but it was really hard to handle. Often the users needed 4 shoots to aim. What is about throwing an additional dice and declaring this as the minimum range?
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 11:14:22 PM »
We should, however, remember that this is a game and not a copy of reality. Keep it nice and simple.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

former user

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 09:59:07 AM »
I would second @grimnir, and also keep the rules simple
a minimum range of 30cm or 12 '' is good, deviations should never vanish, no need to fumble with the rules here, they could fall short below minimum range and still not threaten the crew - and this would be a good punishment, since You can easily engage your own troops

but I guess that every reasonable player would limber up his artillery if the enemy closes in at 12'' (given the costs), so basically there is hardly a need for too much work to be put into such a rule - but of course minimum range for high trajectory ordnance like mortars and howitzers

stick to the basics Björn, they are just fine as they are
if in need, you can always make up a heroic action like firing the mortar from the hip (stupid idea) or simply using mortar shells as handgrenades, like in "saving Private Ryan". a scorecheck should do in this case

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2009, 08:57:21 PM »
Mortars do not have a "point blank" range as this term is the distance from firearm to target below which to adjustment is made to the sights so indirect fire weapons (e.g. howitzers and mortars) do not have it.

As far as who teststo call fires down upon a position occupied by the troops which is effectively what firing at less that the "book" minimum range, then that would probably rest with the senior commander in the target area or the commander of the formation to which the mortars or artillery belong.   Most minimum "safe" ranges are for troops in the open so can be reduced if own troops are dug in.

All rounds should be accounted for - even if they cause "blue on blue" casualties.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis