Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686584
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Copplestone Africa and Foundry Africa  (Read 896 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Copplestone Africa and Foundry Africa
« on: March 14, 2020, 06:41:50 PM »
I'm curious as to how the new Copplestone sculpts, like the Shilluk, size up to the older sculpts Mark did for Foundry? I know when comparing the Foundry sculpts to Copplestone's pulp figures, the size difference is quite noticeable. I always felt the Foundry sculpts were more true 25mm than 28mm.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Copplestone Africa and Foundry Africa
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 06:50:24 PM »
Personally I think they are compatible. The Foundry DA sculpts are not as small as some of the even older Foundry stuff, such as the 1st Afghan War, Sikh Wars ranges, etc (which are as you say, more like 25mm).

Copplestone figs do seem to be slightly bigger, but not always and not very noticeably (at least not to me). Of course, this is quite a personal thing, some folks are much more picky about this kind of thing than I am. But I just held up one of those Shiliuk guys to a Foundry Askari and I think they look fine together, honestly I can't see a difference.

(Hiya mate, I was just watching that vid you sent me as you posted this! Good luck with your painting.  :))

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:01:32 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 06:51:56 PM »
I'm curious as to how the new Copplestone sculpts, like the Shilluk, size up to the older sculpts Mark did for Foundry? I know when comparing the Foundry sculpts to Copplestone's pulp figures, the size difference is quite noticeable. I always felt the Foundry sculpts were more true 25mm than 28mm.

They fit well IMHO. OK, Foundry are slightly smaller in some cases but any Copplestone sculpts will look well next to one another as they are still stylistically very similar.

I'd be interested to hear what others think  ???

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 07:00:55 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. :)

(Hiya mate, I was just watching that vid you sent me as you posted this! Good luck with your painting.  :))

Plynkes, I figured you might find that "Painting Black Skin" tutorial interesting. The final effect looks very much like your work. Though I doubt you use as many paint color  ::)s as all that.

I'd be interested to hear what others think

Yep, me too. Always love to hear input on this kind of thing from fellow LAFers.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 07:02:58 PM »
Yeah, looking at it, he does it pretty much the same as me, except I've never even seen a pot of Vallejo, let alone used one, so the colour names are all different. :)

I just remembered, when I did my Burton and Speke figures, I used the Foundry Darkest Africa Burton (slightly converted), and my Speke was a British Officer from the old Foundry Indian Mutiny range. I had to build Speke's base up to maintain the illusion that he wasn't a midget next to Burton. So yeah, definitely, the Foundry DA range are bigger than the old colonials from earlier. I would post a pic of the figs, but it is on Photobucket, so even if I posted it, they'd put a big watermark and make it all blurry. Photobucket can kiss my arse.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 07:29:29 PM »
except I've never even seen a pot of Vallejo, let alone used one....

You must be among a select few.  ;)

I had to build Speke's base up to maintain the illusion that he wasn't a midget next to Burton

I'd also considered that for figures that look decidedly too small.

Photobucket can kiss my arse.

Amen to that brother. Send me the pic, I'll fire it up on Imgur for you.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 07:48:07 PM »
Unfortunately the only place I'm sure I have it is on Photobucket, otherwise I'd host it here on LAF myself. It was a couple of PCs ago, and I don't seem to have brought everything forward on to this PC (it may be on an external HD somewhere, not sure).

I may go to their cursed site and try to retrieve it, but not right now this minute.  I can't be bothered. :)