Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:58:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tricornes at the Boyne?  (Read 725 times)

Offline thequestingvole

• Bookworm
Tricornes at the Boyne?
« on: March 16, 2020, 05:27:46 AM »
Chaps,

Is there a major difference between the uniforms used by Marlborough's men in Flanders and the uniforms worn at the Boyne?

Just wondering if I can use the same lads for both battles.

CK

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: Tricornes at the Boyne?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 01:49:57 PM »
Nothing to stop you fighting the battle with later troops.  You will need some pike men for the English, Irish, Scots and some of the French troops. 

Tricornes won't look right but you can still have fun.  Btw, I've often wondered how long tricornes retained there shape in campaign conditions. I suspect they ended up looking like the hats worn at the Boyne.

Have a look at the League of Augsburg site there's great inspiration there.

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »
As mentioned the troops should have tricornes for Marlborough's army. Plus you will need pikes which were used in Marlborough's time, in the early years of the war, but often don't feature in wargames armies.

Nearly all the infantry had pikes and often reasonable numbers. The Jacobites were short of muskets and so had a lot of pikes & also used scyths and other improvised weapons, at least in the early stages - i.e. the Boyne. The Jacobites were often, again in the early stages, not uniformed & reliable information on them is difficult to find.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »
Yes, thinking about it, its more of a case of who didn't have pikes.  The Danes didn't carry them.