Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:53:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vietnam, or an exercise in disciplined collecting.... first building pic  (Read 4495 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Vietnam, or an exercise in disciplined collecting....?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 10:05:15 PM »
 lol

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 08:05:34 AM »
The whole fun of this hobby is to enjoy it. If you are happy with what you do then thats nothing short of perfect. Never feel pressured to show your toys or embarrassed by what you may feel is not to the very highest standard. That is just not what this hobby should be about. It about fun. We all have far too many things to worry about at the moment. This hobby should be a relief from the pains of the world. Must go now and count the toilet rolls  8)

Wise words indeed - I too am counting toilet rolls.
Seriously though, that's a good explanation of the gist of the hobby. In spite of my shambolic and all to often weird projects, LAF is one place where I feel perfectly comfortable presenting pics of my stuff, as it fits your description well.

I look forward to see this spiral out of control. I started out with the same idea. But that is not where I ended up ;D

Never; I'll be strong.
Oh, did I mention I have two books coming in from Amazon and am watching that Netflix documentary on the Vietnam War?

...and I hope your other half has forgiven you for your Huey splurge over the weekend  lol

Hueys.... mmm.
Did you know an Ontos could be transported, slung, under a Jolly Green Giant? :o
Hopefully no-one makes these to match 28mm scale.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 10:16:29 AM »
Never; I'll be strong.
Oh, did I mention I have two books coming in from Amazon and am watching that Netflix documentary on the Vietnam War?

Hueys.... mmm.
Did you know an Ontos could be transported, slung, under a Jolly Green Giant? :o
Hopefully no-one makes these to match 28mm scale.

Been there done that man. I am sorry to be the one to tell you mate. You are already on a slippery slope. Once you have watched the documentary, you will start watching platoon and Full Metal Jacket.  :D

There is no containing this conflict to a small skirmish.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »
My escalation for this period seems increasingly to mirror the real thing. Started with a relatively small-scale French Indo China engagement which was looking like it might be under control for a while, but things are getting badly out of hand now the US have arrived.
I suspect my timeline for completing this could echo the real thing too :-)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 03:58:41 PM »
(whisper) Give it to me straight, I'm doomed, right?

Didn't even know they had these, so  8) :

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 04:06:43 PM »
You are already on a slippery slope.

I'm a platoon of marines in (+ armour) after reading 'Hue 1968'. Just finished 'Danger Close' by Bob Grandin so Aussies & APCs are on the horizon. Also need more NVA/VC

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 04:58:28 PM »
(whisper) Give it to me straight, I'm doomed, right?

Didn't even know they had these, so  8) :

I am guessing that is an M88.

Simon Dunstan (Vanguard 42) mentions M728s in use by 11th Armoured Cavalry.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 05:58:57 PM »
My escalation for this period seems increasingly to mirror the real thing. Started with a relatively small-scale French Indo China engagement which was looking like it might be under control for a while, but things are getting badly out of hand now the US have arrived.
I suspect my timeline for completing this could echo the real thing too :-)

The parallels between the conflict and the challenge of gaming it have also occurred to me, and no doubt to others. In fact I was just thinking that the present difficulties of maintaining hygiene are not totally dissimilar to those faced by troops in the bush, and particularly on LRRP. If I may be forgiven for raising a sensitive subject which is difficult to discuss without risking giving offence, I am referring specifically to the disposal of bodily waste, and the prevention of ailments relating to poor field hygiene.

While we all know the arrangements made to counter the dreaded crotch rot, I have no intention of proposing a survey on the merits of going commando.  I am, however, wondering whether any of the more knowledgeable members would like to share some effective field sanitation tips to maintain a healthy LAF community.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 08:36:30 AM »
The parallels between the conflict and the challenge of gaming it have also occurred to me, and no doubt to others. In fact I was just thinking that the present difficulties of maintaining hygiene are not totally dissimilar to those faced by troops in the bush, and particularly on LRRP. If I may be forgiven for raising a sensitive subject which is difficult to discuss without risking giving offence, I am referring specifically to the disposal of bodily waste, and the prevention of ailments relating to poor field hygiene.

While we all know the arrangements made to counter the dreaded crotch rot, I have no intention of proposing a survey on the merits of going commando.  I am, however, wondering whether any of the more knowledgeable members would like to share some effective field sanitation tips to maintain a healthy LAF community.

Roll a D6. RESULT 6  figure needs poo. goes into the bush. Decision do his mates cover him? Smoke? lol

VC roll a D6. Result 6 = booby trap. decide on what type. Casualty killed or wounded?

Call in medivac.

Chopper ambush (no pun intended.)

There is a whole scenario on this subject. ;)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 03:28:24 PM »
Thanks Paul, but I was really hoping for advice on what type of leaf to press into service.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »
Thanks Paul, but I was really hoping for advice on what type of leaf to press into service.

lol

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 03:58:28 PM »
Well, there's another idea for a vignette for Mr Hicks to look at while the rest of us are suffering.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
Well, here's one thread which is alive and kicking without me having to post a single pic of a model  :D

I would have you know, however, than my battlefield will have all the required amenities, for both sides, with more than adequate supplies of toilet paper, even with all the hoarding going on.
And that is (sort of) on topic, because I dusted off yet another rescued-from-the-bin architecture student's model (here is the first such case: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123127.msg1550475#msg1550475) which will provide me with some real estate for this setting.

This one seems to represent a sort of square with buildings on three sides. It needs a lot of work, but could just pass muster if you close one eye and squint through the other. After all, Stanley Kubrick used bits of Britain to represent Vietnam in Full Metal Jacket, so I'm only following best practice  >:D
Pics to follow.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 05:37:23 PM »
And the spray can has done its job once again.
I guess I am now committed.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 04:55:07 PM »
And I actually completed one model - well, almost.
This will be fitted to a 1' x 1' surface later, and flock and grass added around the base.
This is from the Oshiro Models Chinese buildings range.