Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Wagram in 2mm - hundreds of units on map  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Forwardmarchstudio

• Librarian
Battle of Wagram in 2mm - hundreds of units on map
« on: March 18, 2020, 03:07:52 AM »
After six years of research, false starts, expensive (but fun) failed experiments, to include creating a custom-made model soldier range, I finally completed my battalion-level Wagram project (last week, before the pandemic really hit).

https://forwardmarchminiatures.blogspot.com/p/wagram.html

Every battalion, squadron, and battery is represented on the map. There are over 400 figure stands. All of the infantry battalions and half of the cavalry squadrons have paper flags attached. Everything is labeled with full OOB information (as described below). Both the map and the figures are at 10mm = 100m, making the project WYS/WYG. Not too much room for maneuver, considering how big the battlefield was.

Not all the units are in the right locations (I was time-rushed by an upcoming Magic: The Gathering league night).

The big colored placards have division commanders names.  In a game, I would add rule-specific data to these placards.  For instance, they could contain all the info for a unit in Blucher.  I think divisions would make sense as the basic Blucher unit for a game of this size.  The modifications to Blucher would be easier than might at first appear; I think common-sense rules would allow you treat the divisions shown on the map as the footprint for Blucher units (depends on your gaming partner, haha).

The labels on the units are color coded to show the OOB data for each unit.  This makes set-up much faster than it would be otherwise; all you need to do is separate the units out by their color code.  The bases also contain the regimental numbers, abbreviation of allied units that don't have regimental numbers, and unit type info (Light, Old Guard, "Insurrection Hussars", Dragoons, etc).

The artillery unit labels contain OOB info, number of guns, weight of shot, and battery type (foot, horse, position).

Ideally, the map will be under plexiglas.

Final cost of this project, including the map and all figures, plus labels, was approximately $150 USD.

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Re: Battle of Wagram in 2mm - hundreds of units on map
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:29:56 AM »
What a fantastic project. When are you gaming it?

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 07:34:42 AM »
The original idea was for this to be a convention game with some simple rules that could accommodate a dozen or so players.  The other idea was to put this in the middle of a circle of tables, where people would bring-and-battle Napoelonic armies over several days, with the individual outcomes of those games causing the models in the middle to move around or disappear.

But that might be a long way off now.

So, the next best option is probably going to be a Blucher game, with each division acting as a maneuver unit with an invisible footprint around it.  I'll add the Blucher data onto the colored division commander placards, maybe along with some other data like the number of troops present, or some such.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 09:55:01 AM »
Tremendous, I love it . I’ve become a big fan of moving on maps . I get mine printed at 3’ x 2’ . I have 3 x plexiglass covers ,  a 6’ x 3’ map covers a lot of ground . I’m currently figuring out how to play Sam Mustafa’s Rommel on them .

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 11:55:19 AM »
That looks great Zach, congratulations on getting it finished.

Borodino next?

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 12:03:51 PM »
I loved seeing these two posts alongside each other:

"Battle of Wagram in 2mm - hundreds of units on map"
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123308.0

"1866 "Battle of Einbruecke" Austro-Pruss. War 28mm"
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123301.0

Two very different games, each beautiful in its own way!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 02:05:35 PM »
Great point Chris, and some great work to behold.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 04:30:05 PM »
Loved looking at this as I've just taken the plunge on some 2mm figures from Irregular myself! Just the inspiration I was looking for! Looks fantastic!

Cheers,
Steven

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »
Loved looking at this as I've just taken the plunge on some 2mm figures from Irregular myself! Just the inspiration I was looking for! Looks fantastic!

Cheers,
Steven

Hi Steven,
Glad to hear it.  Irregular are great, but these figures are actually from Forward March Studios www.forwardmarchstudios.com

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »
Wow - impressive. I'll also say that the price point is great too!! I have the Waterloo oob at brigade level in 6mm for Blucher.

You could make some type of sabot base to represent the brigade or division area if you are going to use Blucher rules as written.

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 10:33:09 PM »
Speaking of Blucher, a user of my figure range came up with these layered-style Blucher bases.  He's got the same thing for Morale Napoleon.  Great idea.

Pretty slick. The basing isn't done yet, of course.  But I think once flocked up these will look awesome.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 07:42:52 AM »
Fantastic project - and well done for seeing it through to the the conclusion - because it looks mighty good now.

Regarding the magnetic bases above, couldn’t the same effect have been created, with the use of much less resources by just having the rear bit of the base (where the label and the tracker are) be removable and magnetic?

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 01:25:16 PM »
Great stuff!

Fred makes a good point.  The bases could have along their foot, the space for a strip of tin sheet or "flex steel" to be affixed on each stand.  Any unit label could then be cut to mimic this space size, and when backed with sheet magnet will attach in place.  On top of the labels, magnetic markers can attach and be moved for tracking duties - and they'll ride along with the stands, even if the stands are pitched or knocked around during the action.

It's another design/method thought.