Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:03:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle of Kandahar  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
The Battle of Kandahar
« on: March 19, 2020, 06:17:04 AM »
Woke up this AM grumpy and worrying about “the virus” and how it would impact on my day job today.... then saw this

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2020/03/battle-of-kandahar-140th-anniversary.html

It’s a fantastic piece of research by a fellow LAFer (Mad Guru - if you’re reading this.... thank you!) and a wonderful example of the joys of our hobby when we drill down into a period. Can’t  wait to see the next instalment!

Inspirational stuff!

I feel more positive about today now!  :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:00:46 AM by Sparrow »
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Battle of Kandahar
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 07:07:46 AM »
Fantastic blog post from Mad Guru! And cheers Sparrow :)
And the story about Bobby,crumbs!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 10:34:55 AM »
An essential vistit - such a good blog and has been for so long now.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 12:38:18 PM »
Too right Keith! Have had it in my “favourites” for quite a while now - this latest update was particularly brilliant (I thought)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 07:14:54 PM »
What an excellent read! I'd not visited that blog for ages - so glad I did so this evening!

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 08:03:52 PM »
WHOOPS!!!  Stop the web presses -- I guess this is what happens when you go to bed before pimping your new blog-post on LAF!  It's like I've been "Tangoed" in a Tango-free universe.

Sparrow, my thanks and no worries, I take it as a huge compliment!  I was very happy to read what you said.

Also thanks to everyone else above who beat me to it, for their kind comments.

I came here to share my 140th Anniversary Kandahar refight game prep, but as that's already been done, I will simply piggyback onto this thread of Sparrow's.

Really he pretty much covered it, aside from some "teaser" images, which I usually provide in a shameless effort to drum up more visitors.  So...

Here's another LINK to the post:

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2020/03/battle-of-kandahar-140th-anniversary.html

Last but far from least, to all fellow LAFers, I sincerely hope you and your friends and family stay healthy and safe through this coronavirus crisis and emerge intact in every way, and to those of you who are medical professionals, THANK YOU and godspeed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:21:05 PM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:33:39 PM »
Awesome addition to an amazing blog..... As high is quality as it is in inspiration!
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 11:38:02 PM »
What an epic post MG! I can’t wait to join in this extravaganza. My 2p worth is to extend the additional 2’ if at all possible. It would really open things up. Now the only question is... which side of the table will I be rolling dice from?

PS- you never do anything small, do you my friend? Very well done.

Cheers,
Sgt G

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 08:49:40 AM »
It's looking very intriguing already MG  8) 8)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 11:16:59 AM »
Great stuff altogether-thank you.

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »
That blog entry is just filled with fascinating historical eye-candy ...and then I realised I've been staring at it too long: Away with you sir! I am not been lured from South Africa and Sudan into the mountains of Afghanistan!!!   (well not yet) :)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 09:01:07 AM »
Thanks very much for the very positive comments, guys!  Very much appreciated.  I hope all of you and yours and everyone else reading this is managing to stay healthy during these challenging times.

On the hobby front, I just put up a second (much briefer!) post on my blog, detailing my recent work on this project.  I also started a new thread here at LAF to track the progress until completion.  The plan is to get it all done by the middle of August, when I still hope to host the game at my home.

If you've read this far and are interested in seeing more of the project, please click this handy LINK below to visit the follow-up thread here at LAF:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123654.0

Here's a few more WIP pics of the Baba Wali Kotal (mountain pass) and also a couple of pics of what I have newly landed on as probably being the best way to temporarily add FORDS to my existing river terrain boards.  If I had more time available I would make some bespoke River Ford boards, but since the battlefield includes THREE OF THEM, and I still have a ton of other vital work to do to prepare the table, it's not feasible.  Apologies in advance, but put another way, it would be me trying to go A Ford Too Far!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:06:01 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »
The whole thing is amazing but in particular I like those rocky terrain pieces
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 12:46:15 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*

Offline Sparrow