Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:29:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Turgut Reis - Ottoman battleship  (Read 997 times)

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
Turgut Reis - Ottoman battleship
« on: March 19, 2020, 10:46:09 AM »
Turgut Reis was a former German battleship (SMS Weissenburg) that was purchased by the Ottoman navy in 1910. She provided naval gunfire support for the Ottoman amphibious assault at Şarköy in 1913, just north of Gallipoli. This photo illustrates the WTJ 1/1250 model, which is available from the store here:

Robert
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:11:14 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Admiral Hawke

• Bookworm
Re: Turgut Reis - Ottoman battleship
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:57:37 PM »
Excellent. I do love the superb War Times Journal models, particularly of the more obscure warships like this one.

You have painted her very nicely. I struggle to get the right hull and deck colours, but yours look spot on (to the extent that I have any idea what shades of paint the Ottoman Navy used!).

I just ordered a batch of WTJ models that I hope will reach me safely while we are all in quarantine.

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 07:29:00 AM »
Thank you, Admiral Hawke. I worked with WTJ closely whilst the 3D printing process and resin type was changed over. The two instances of Brandenburg Class BBs (I painted up the sister ship of Turgut Reis as well - both participated in providing naval gunfire support for the landings) were excellent.

The ship colours were spray-painted on. Tamiya XF-25 (light sea grey) first and then XF-80 (royal light gray) sprayed on to the upper halves of the hull and superstructures. Deck is Tamiya XF-78 (wooden deck tan). Whole ship is then sprayed with a light coat of gloss acrylic lacquer. This allows the black and then brown panel line accent colours to be applied easily. The brown is used for any angle that touches or includes the deck tan colour - around the base of the superstructures, deck bollards, etc. Black is used for any other angle and for the port holes, etc. Very light brushing of Abteilung 502 oil paints along the edges: ABT145 (sunny flesh tone) for the edges of the decks; and ABT003 (dust) for the edges of the superstructures. Final coat of matt varnish. Et voila.

Robert

Offline Admiral Hawke

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 07:43:37 AM »
Wow. No wonder it looks so good. Thank you for the detailed reply. :-)

Stay safe.