Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:28:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Alternative Italians, Update 7th May  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Alternative Italians, Update 7th May
« on: March 20, 2020, 10:18:58 AM »
Just looking at the superb large Italian force on the thread there...

I’ve considered an Italian force for BA for quite a while, but fancied an alternative to the usual African campaign.
I’ve recently got a lovely Greek force together, so wondered about a Greek campaign force?
So what Italian figures are available for this theatre and period of war?
Also would I be able to perhaps use them as a Stalingrad force too???
Great Escape Games, any others?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:57:07 AM by Tim Haslam »
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Alternative Italians?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 12:59:13 PM »
what scale are you thinking?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »
28mm, sorry..

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 01:56:53 PM »
Empress Miniatures? I am using them to do an Italian force that would work for Sicily.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 02:44:24 PM »
Interesting.. thanks

Also “Albanian Auxiliaries” what do these guys look like?

I’ve ordered the Osprey book on the subject, so that’s a start.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 06:25:19 PM »
The current producers of 28mm Italians I've found are: Perry Miniatures, Empress Miniatures, Black Tree Design, Offensive Miniatures, Warlord Games, Great Escape Games, Gaddis Gaming (Battle Honour's former range), West Wind Productions, Artizan Designs.

Most Italian ranges are for Africa, however a few do more temperate uniforms, and Great Escape Games have a winter range.

I've been considering a 1944 Alpini force in snow suits myself. Those would require converting however, as the figures are non-existant. The Perry, Empress and some of the Artizan and Black Tree Design stuff look like they scale well with one another. The rest of the ranges I listed appear to be more "Heroic" scale.

If you're going with the larger type of proportions I'd recommend starting with one of Great Escape Game's army deals. They also carry some other company's stuff too. North Star Miniatures carry a few of the above ranges as well if your looking to cut down on shipping.

Oh, and as for Stalingrad. There was only a brief period before the cold weather hit. You could get away with temperate uniforms, but if you're covering that particular front it'd be more visually appealing to have trench coats in circulation.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 10:40:29 PM »
Thanks,
I’ll check that list out.
Most though are for Africa like you say.

I’m pretty sure the Greek campaign was fought in a pretty cold environment which helps with the Stalingrad option.
Great Escape stuff is very nice, I love my Greeks.
Just considering all options.
And of course this mention of Albanian troops is intriguing....?

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 11:58:27 PM »
I have been looking for some proper Alpini but the only decent ones are the Old battle honors which are now very hard to find (I only have the heavy weapon section)
I have  tried the Great Escape Games ones and they are not bad but a bit goofy - the poses are ok bu they are ruined by their hat, since the classic iconic hat is replaced by something which seems more apt for Cinderella's prince. As for the other troops my favorite are Artisans, Perrys and Empress, but as you know they are not always compatible with one another.  Strategia e tattica used to make some but they are a bit old fashioned in terms of proportions and poses

I have the warlord paratroopers and they are actually not bad - but these wear the smock that you see worn by the RSI, not the kind of stuff you could were at El Alamein or in the battle of Fliottrano (war for the liberation of Italy), when in 1944 a regiment of the Nembo fought back some German fallschirmjager together with the Polish corps http://archiwum.udskior.gov.pl/70th,anniversary,of,the,liberation,of,the,Marche,region,in,Italy,by,the,Polish,2nd,Corps,1048.html . In all the photos you can find for these two different battles the paratroopers always wore summer clothing
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline tom_aargau

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 07:44:17 AM »
You may have the osprey book by now but here some comments in case iit has not yet arrived.
There were 3 groups of Albanian forces with the Italians:
Light infantery, attached to Italian divisions, dressed and equipped like the Italians
Fascist militia. dressed more or less like the Italian MVSN, with different head gear and Albanian eagle on the left sleeve (see pictures below)
Irregulars. as interpretors and guides. This last group was most likely in civilian clothes.
Hope this helps.
Tom

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:15:22 AM by tom_aargau »
There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today...turn two points to port.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 04:25:08 PM »
Interesting information, thanks.

So regular Italian figures painted up with this Albanian badge on the left arm?
Simples.

The guy on the left seems to have a slightly ‘furry’ hat, whereas the guy in photo his hat seems smooth?
Almost like a fez?

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 03:11:27 AM »
Great thread.

I'm slowly working on Italian Airborne for Chain of Command.  I plan to paint up the two different squads in different schemes for a platoon...one for N. Africa and one for Sicily.

Thanks for posting.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 10:32:58 AM »
Right? I want to put together a Italian force someday myself. A few honestly.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
My force will most probably be for Bolt Action, there is a theatre selector for the invasion of Greece.

I’m thinking of using the Albanian auxiliaries as inexperienced troops.
Then adding more regulars or my maybe some alpine troops.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 12:14:31 PM »
I’ve noticed that the basic boxed set of Italian infantry from warlord has the loose head option, in that they are separate. This could be handy for the Albanian auxiliaries.
If I could get hold of a head with a fez on?
Didn’t North Star/Crusader do some spare fez heads when they launched the Senegalese range?

If so, it’s just a simple head swop without any need for cutting heads off!

Cheers

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 03:25:36 PM »
https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/TURK22_Turkish_Head_Sprue_1--product--5120.html

I’ve noticed that the basic boxed set of Italian infantry from warlord has the loose head option, in that they are separate. This could be handy for the Albanian auxiliaries.
If I could get hold of a head with a fez on?
Didn’t North Star/Crusader do some spare fez heads when they launched the Senegalese range?

If so, it’s just a simple head swop without any need for cutting heads off!

Cheers
Cheers,
Poiter50