Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout Wasteland Warfare Solo  (Read 3411 times)

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
Fallout Wasteland Warfare Solo
« on: March 22, 2020, 01:19:21 AM »
In the interests of maintaining mental health during the current "situation," I played a solo game of Fallout Wasteland Warfare.  I made up a scenario in which a group of survivors were fleeing from a gang of super mutants who wanted to eat them for lunch.  The survivors had to exit off the far side of the board.  Along the way, each ruined building contained possible loot but also a random creature (or not) who would activate if anyone entered its structure.  The super mutants appeared on turn 2 (same board edge as survivors) and gave chase.  After the survivor with the double barrel gave her life delaying the super mutants, the whole thing turned into a sprint down the street to the other side of the board.  The survivors only managed to find some "iguana bits" in an abandoned ruin.  3 out of 4 survivors escaped.  The super mutant hound took a shotgun blast to the face but managed to survive though his AI rolls after that were pathetic so he didn't do much.  The other mutants sustained some minor gunshot wounds but lived.  I gave the game an 8 round limit with the 3 survivors existing on the last.  Anyway, now I will think up the next chapter in the story.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Fallout Wasteland Warfare Solo
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 09:09:50 AM »
Having no knowledge of Fallout (besides the occasional sponsorship adverts top and tailing ad breaks), I have found the game reports interesting.

I sounds like your game was enjoyable.

Besides the shotgun blasted hounds confusion, does the AI work well?

Do the rules work well in solo play. And how much did you have to add?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:08:46 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 03:02:30 PM »
Also interested to hear about the solo aspects.
Nice table and write up :)
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »
Thanks.  The AI system works pretty well.  Each type of figure has an AI card with a random action table based on health.  "A" means attack, "O" means pursue the objective (often just attack) and "M" means move but not into combat.  So, once the mutant hound was reduced from 5 health to 2 health, he became much less aggressive.  I rolled a "mushroom cloud" on the special dice and he got an "F" which means "fall back."   I find some of the AI explanations and theorizing in the rule books and scenarios way over the top so I use the charts/dice and interpret the actions of the AI side based on what makes sense.  The cards for random items and events also help to create a sense of uncertainty.  For instance, one of the events in this game was the appearance of a weapons dealer but all he had on offer was a "lead pipe" so I passed and continued to flee the super mutants.  You had to either buy the weapon (I had no money) or steal (risking potential injury).

I find the game plays well.  I always liked the Fallout setting and played the computer games so as a miniature gamer this is great. However, as I mentioned in an earlier threat here, the only problem I have is that there is no clear system for character progression as you see in games like Rangers of Shadow Deep. I don't really like the settlement system in the rules.   I don't have the RPG version but from what I read, I don't think it has what I am looking for either.  I tried to create my own system but I think it might be better to just gradually upgrade the main character and his/her team as they progress through scenarios.  You can add different abilities like leader traits or perks plus finding better gear in the wasteland.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 05:51:35 AM »
Part 2:  The survivors are trapped in a ruined building.  They were continuing to flee the super mutants when suddenly they were cut off by another mutant hunting party.  As the super mutants attack the building from all sides, a second group of survivors hears the gunfire and runs to relieve their beleaguered friends. 

The survivors' goal was simply to survive.  The two groups of super mutants assaulted the building.  Their mutant hound rushed in but was shot down by the survivors (sucks to a hound these days!).  One mutant threw a Molotov cocktail at a survivor on the upper floor briefly lighting him on fire.  As the super mutants rushed into the ruin, the survivors jumped out through some windows including a second floor one.  The relief team arrived and shot down all the super mutants who tried to continue their attack.  The only survivor who did not make it was the guy with the pistol who had been on fire and then jumped out the second story window.  Overconfident, he took on a super mutant who cut his head off with a board.

More pictures on next post

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 06:03:11 AM »
More pictures: The first two show the guy jumping out of the second floor window.  Another shows a super mutant brute taking a blast from a double barrel shotgun.  Yet another shows the last moment of the poor guy who caught on fire and jumped out the window only to get into a fight with a desperate super mutant.  The last is of looting in the final turn.  Items looted during the game were 10mm pistol, skeleton key, radaway and buffout.  There were many weapon cards in the item/looting deck but none came up.  The iguana bits looted in the last game came in handy to heal the "sole survivor" who took a couple of sledge hammer blows.   Perhaps next time the "sole survivor day one" will get promoted to just plain "sole survivor" (much better stats).

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 08:46:38 PM »
Sounds like a fun game (except for guy who pushed his luck too far).

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 11:10:42 PM »
Back in the day, the fallout games - 1,2 and tactics also had on one of the cd's in the set (maybe also just with tactics) a set of rules in them for tabletop play (unless old age and a alcohol addled brain are playing tricks on me), I think they had some character progression/campaign rules, but I can't be 100% certain. I am sure better minds than mine will be able to add more info  :D - only mention it as if you can get hold of them they may be able to me modded / used for the new game to get what you are after.  :)

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 03:24:34 AM »
Thanks. I played those games when they came out but unfortunately I don't remember any table top rules.  Maybe I had a different version.  One thing I did immediately think when playing those early Fallout computer games was that they would make a great miniatures game and 20 years later there it is.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 11:08:44 PM »
Thanks. I played those games when they came out but unfortunately I don't remember any table top rules.  Maybe I had a different version.  One thing I did immediately think when playing those early Fallout computer games was that they would make a great miniatures game and 20 years later there it is.

I might still have the cd buried somewhere, I know I lost the games but think I kept the rule cd - I'll let you know if it turns up.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 11:27:53 PM »
Back in the day, the fallout games - 1,2 and tactics also had on one of the cd's in the set (maybe also just with tactics) a set of rules in them for tabletop play (unless old age and a alcohol addled brain are playing tricks on me), I think they had some character progression/campaign rules, but I can't be 100% certain. I am sure better minds than mine will be able to add more info  :D - only mention it as if you can get hold of them they may be able to me modded / used for the new game to get what you are after.  :)

I seem to remember having the tabletop rules as well. I think they came with Tactics. I never played them though! We're they more along the RPG line than a wargame?

The modiphius game looks pretty good, I know some friends who have it. I'm resisting that and Elder Scrolls though, I love the computer games but I don't want to invest in another licensed games system however good!

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 02:59:02 AM »
Part 3: After their rescue from the super mutants, the remaining survivors learn about the location of a nearby ruined military base likely to contain some serious weaponry.  To deal with the super mutant threat they will need some heavy artillery so they decide to visit the base.  To do that, they must first travel through a radiated wasteland stalked by mutated beasts.  The object of the game is to exit off the opposite table edge in 8 turns.  There are random pieces of salvage and monsters along the way.  Right from the start, the group encounters a nest of radscorpions.  The first one burrows under the ground and emerges just in front of Cait who sustains a poisoned sting before smashing the beast into a pulp withe her baseball bat.  Hyped up on her usual drugs, Cait charges the second radscorpion but dies from poison during the fight.  The frightened scavenger puts a 10mm bullet between the creature's eyes and it slumps down dead.  While the group is marching across the wasteland avoiding radioactive waste and gathering loot, a mole rat emerges from its burrow but scurries away.  Finally, a bloated glowing one crawls out of a hole prompting the 3 remaining survivors to run off the board edge ending the game in the last turn.  The loot consisted of some radstag meat, squirrel on a stick and whisky but Cait was lost.  They will have to search the military base without one of their best fighters.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 12:04:25 AM »

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 08:14:39 AM »
Another good AAR.